Walls map and Apaches

I'm rather new to this game, and I think it's pretty darn awesome... Well, I say new, but I played it like, 2 years ago as well and also thought it was awesome back then... But today, I just came across something that frustrated the heck out of me and my whole team.

And it was in the Walls map, where the whole game, a single Apache helicopter and some protective buddies was just hanging around, coming up, shooting some people or buildings and then going right back down to fix up in a couple of seconds.
That dude ended up with 86 kills and 0 deaths and I don't think that's normal. We had multiple rocket launchers and Missile launchers trying to take him down but he could just slip away again and again while keeping up the harassment to our base.
We got all kinds of other things thrown at us as well, including a robot and a ton of artillery, but with some team work, we were able to take those down... But up there on the plateau, this apache was untouchable.

And that's just super frustrating. If snipers are there, you can snipe back, if other units are there, you can shoot back and deal with it... But an Apache up there... Nope.

And we tried sending in Orcas, but they're so weak in comparison that it was simply useless to even try, we were knocked out of the air before we got close enough to hit our missiles while the Apache seemed to be shooting its missiles nice and deep into our base.

Super frustrating in an otherwise really fun match.

Now I get it, if someone wants to make the argument "You guys just sucked" then say so, but I really personally think there should be some means, from both sides, to actually hit the plateau from afar just so these kind of tactics can be avoided. A tower or whatnot, something high enough so a single damn Apache can't just keep harassing people for the entire game without ever really being challenged.

Some suggested he was a hacker because no matter what we threw at it, it wouldn't die even though it got close to dying a few times, but I'd rather not just throw baseless accusations out there.

So, unless people all disagree with me, here's some possible solutions:

Make Orca's missiles reach further so you don't have to be so unbelievably close.

or

Make some kind of ramp or tower that can overlook the Plateau so threats like this can be dealt with, or at the very least, force the Apache to have to fly back to base to repair instead of just up, pew pew, down, repair, up, pew pew, etc.

But who knows, like I said, I'm rather new, and I'd like to hear from more experienced players how they perceive this frustration I'm talking about it, if they feel the same.

Guest Gliven

Veteran players who have support to back them up, are able to achieve this. If your team owns the plateau, and have repairs stationed up there. It takes a good coordinated push from the enemy team to push you off. I know a bunch of players who are able to achieve this.

Walls matches are 9 out of 10 times won by the team that controls the top of the plateau.

17 hours ago, Zucadragon said:

Make Orca's missiles reach further so you don't have to be so unbelievably close.

If both pilots have equal skill, and its 1 on 1, the person on the defence will generally win. They can "out range" you by flying backwards. You will be flying towards their rockets, while your rockets have to chase them down. Also Veteran players know how to dodge incoming rockets. In order to win on the offence, you need to have either A. the element of surprise B. support from your team mates C. more skill or D. luck

17 hours ago, Zucadragon said:

I really personally think there should be some means, from both sides, to actually hit the plateau from afar just so these kind of tactics can be avoided.

Have you tried using air strikes? You don't need to be able to see the top, in order to air strike the top. Just aim the laser at the ground under the plat. Don't forget that GDI's airstrike has the ability to change the direction your planes come in from.

A squad of patches are better at re-taking the plat, than a couple of orcas imho. Bring along some sydneys too. Also don't forget to bring along a hotwire to repair anyone up top.

In arcadey shooters with high health and long kill times like this game, positioning is king.

I think I was in that game. Nod loses their Refinery early and as usual, they all went into full camp mode where all they do is just shoot enemies, fall back and retreat for repairs. It's not a threat to your buildings, you just need more teamwork to take it down.  As to why the Orca loses, usually defensive helicopters will win, which I think what Nod was doing.

I think The Apache player was trying to keep his team alive as long as possible, hunting stray infantry running around and spotting crates for teammates (at least that was what an Apache camping with good kdr was doing when I was on Nod yesterday).

2 hours ago, vandal33 said:

I think I was in that game. Nod loses their Refinery early and as usual, they all went into full camp mode where all they do is just shoot enemies, fall back and retreat for repairs. It's not a threat to your buildings, you just need more teamwork to take it down.  As to why the Orca loses, usually defensive helicopters will win, which I think what Nod was doing.

I think The Apache player was trying to keep his team alive as long as possible, hunting stray infantry running around and spotting crates for teammates (at least that was what an Apache camping with good kdr was doing when I was on Nod yesterday).

We both lost our refinery, and it put us into a position where putting together an attacking team of any kind was really really hard. At some point, we actually managed to attack and take down their Hand of Nod and their power plant, but from there on, we were basically on the defensive because it took aaaaages to get any kind of equipment.

We at some point had a set of 3 APCs with about 5 - 6 rocket dudes try and push through but we got cut off and murderized really hard before we got close enough to their base.

The problem was that we couldn't really attack with tanks, for they had a bunch of their artillery and stuff just waiting and then pelting through the corners to hi our structures, so we couldn't quite take away all that many engineers as well from our side, because it would mean we'd lose right there and then.

The match lasted almost an hour I believe, but that's okay, everything is fine apart from that one single apache that just wouldn't die. 

2 hours ago, TK0104 said:

I guess putting Sydneys on the plateau could work. Do not actually stand on the plateau, but hide behind it. That usually works in PUG's

Well, here's the thing, I see those apaches shooting at you, but you've got plenty of time to just handle it and work them down... When we got up there, we'd just get killed within a couple of seconds flat, even with the APC rush I mentioned in my earlier reply, once they boomed, we were wasted in just a couple of seconds because they had tons of defence around.

I do find it funny that some nod guys were all like "Damn, that was EZ" when they technically took an hour to kill us, so apparently it wasn't THAT easy :P

2 hours ago, Gliven said:

Veteran players who have support to back them up, are able to achieve this. If your team owns the plateau, and have repairs stationed up there. It takes a good coordinated push from the enemy team to push you off. I know a bunch of players who are able to achieve this.

Walls matches are 9 out of 10 times won by the team that controls the top of the plateau.

If both pilots have equal skill, and its 1 on 1, the person on the defence will generally win. They can "out range" you by flying backwards. You will be flying towards their rockets, while your rockets have to chase them down. Also Veteran players know how to dodge incoming rockets. In order to win on the offence, you need to have either A. the element of surprise B. support from your team mates C. more skill or D. luck

Have you tried using air strikes? You don't need to be able to see the top, in order to air strike the top. Just aim the laser at the ground under the plat. Don't forget that GDI's airstrike has the ability to change the direction your planes come in from.

A squad of patches are better at re-taking the plat, than a couple of orcas imho. Bring along some sydneys too. Also don't forget to bring along a hotwire to repair anyone up top.

In arcadey shooters with high health and long kill times like this game, positioning is king.

No, we were basically just having a hard time getting any kind of team together because we had no refinery, so it took ages just to get a rocket group together to  attack the enemy base with.

Though that sounds reasonable, I also now joined the Discord, so maybe using that, more coordination will be a thing that's possible. In the PUB matches, I generally find it hard to coordinate much of anything unless the commander gives specific orders.

Though I should try an air strike sometimes, I didn't know it worked like that, I thought I'd have to point at the plateau atop it, makes sense though, I'll keep that in mind.