Map Loading Screens not appearing (64-Bit)

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

@Agent@yosh56

So I noticed the Map Loading Screens aren't appearing when you load a map in 64-bit. It works fine in 32-bit but since 5.29 32-bit don't work that good anymore on my PC and I'm forced to use 64-bit. It's quite annoying I can't see the loading screens in 64-bit :/

I think we can be grateful for the developers that they published the 64-bit binaries at all. Supporting two architectures instead of one can be pretty hard work! In theory everything should work fine, but it is much more complicated than that. In one case, regarding a software system that my team developed, which has been operating at that point (32-bit) for 3 years, the Customer wanted x64 ports besides the x86 ones. In retrospect it is kind of funny, how even we ourselves have underestimated the complexity of this task... Tons of .dll issues, also with the Windows Registry, then with generating forms...

What I try to say here is, that such a migration would need a significant amount of manpower and work hours from the developer's side, and is FAR from trivial. Meanwhile this present situation could still be useful as for mapping the areas that would need their attention in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
16 hours ago, Chlenix said:

Can i have the link for downloading 64-bit Renegade X binaries? In files section there's only 32-bit version. Got the same problem, no map loading previews, but on 32-bit version of the game.

I thought 64-bit got added in 5.29. Did you updated the game?