I'm planning to play Ren-X at 8K resolution in 2018

Boomer

Recently I'm super busy with things at school and didn't play Ren-X much.

A couple days ago Dell UP3218K (7680 * 4320 @ 60 Hz) went on sale. Since 8K has 2.25x pixels of 5K, which I run currently, I don't think GTX 1080 Ti can make Ren-X playable at 8K resolution with ultra preset.

If next generation graphics card can provide at least 1.5x performance of GTX 1080 Ti, then I can give it a try. The problem is that I don't know whether the next generation is coming in 2018. Hopefully by 2019 the top gaming card can do Ren-X at 8K 60Hz with ultra preset.

• Like 1

Just a thought: What merits would 8k have regarding the gameplay of RenX - hypothetically? I mean besides the greater pixel density making the displayed image on the monitor appear more crisp? Would the Unreal engine handle the scaling with grace, or would it be handled by the graphics adapters driver? Could the exotic setup (dual-DP) of the bleeding-edge graphics card/(s) in conjunction with beta, or freshly released graphics drivers possibly prove to become detrimental for a player using such system?

P.s.: I do believe, mere whim to be a good enough reason for playing in 8K, as I myself love to test new hardware ^_^

Edited by limsup

• Totem Arts Staff

Considering the baseline UE3 is more CPU than GPU intensive, I don't think your video card is going to matter nearly as much. However, in terms of scaling, I have no idea how well it will handle 8k. You may very well have the Flash parts of the HUD stuck in the middle of your screen. 

21 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Considering the baseline UE3 is more CPU than GPU intensive, I don't think your video card is going to matter nearly as much. However, in terms of scaling, I have no idea how well it will handle 8k. You may very well have the Flash parts of the HUD stuck in the middle of your screen. 

From my experience, GTX 980 Ti is capable of handling Ren-X at 5k ultra preset at ~30 FPS or slightly worse. So I'm really concerned whether GTX 1080 Ti can handle Ren-X at 8k ultra preset at ~30 FPS to make it playable.

Also, current Ren-X client is offered in 32-bit. Due to rapidly increasing VRAM usage, I strongly suggest future Ren-X clients to be offered with x64 binaries.

I always want Ren-X to be future proof. Tiberium Wars just passed 10th anniversary, and I believe that 10 years late people would still be playing Ren-X. At that time 8k should be very common.

23 hours ago, limsup said:

Just a thought: What merits would 8k have regarding the gameplay of RenX - hypothetically? I mean besides the greater pixel density making the displayed image on the monitor appear more crisp? Would the Unreal engine handle the scaling with grace, or would it be handled by the graphics adapters driver? Could the exotic setup (dual-DP) of the bleeding-edge graphics card/(s) in conjunction with beta, or freshly released graphics drivers possibly prove to become detrimental for a player using such system?

P.s.: I do believe, mere whim to be a good enough reason for playing in 8K, as I myself love to test new hardware ^_^

I've been playing Ren-X at 5120 * 2880 for over a year. Since I'm a casual gamer, I find that resolution is much more important than frame rate. If you play in a competitive manner, then you may want to make sure that you can run at 165 Hz instead of 8k resolution.

31 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Also, current Ren-X client is offered in 32-bit. Due to rapidly increasing VRAM usage, I strongly suggest future Ren-X clients to be offered with x64 binaries.

I always want Ren-X to be future proof. Tiberium Wars just passed 10th anniversary, and I believe that 10 years late people would still be playing Ren-X. At that time 8k should be very common.

Could you do it? Make RenX 64-bit?

We're already planning to eventually push out some Win64 binaries and have a launcher option to use them. You can get these binaries from the SDK if I recall correctly -- just be aware some DLL files aren't compiled/included with them, so you can't, say, host a server (requires Rx_TCPLink) or have level-specific loading movies (requires Rx_SetStartupMovie) until I eventually get around to compiling those.

In retrospect I'm not sure why I titled that DLL "SetStartupMovie" instead of "SetLoadingMovie", but whatever.