Spectator Camera and Other Questions (?)

AZ-Stalker

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me solve a few things. Please note that it's been a while since I've played actively so I might just be overlooking something either in-game or here on the site itself. To keep things short, I need help with the following:

1. How do I enable the smooth movement cinematic style camera in spectator, as seen in this video series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGcLsZpln8?

2. Can I change my movement speed while flying through the map in that manner (more interested in offline skirmish if there is any difference)?

3. Is there any kind of temporary command line I could write to remove all HUD elements from my screen?

4. What is Totem Arts' (or whoever is taking care of the game now) policy on people using in-game footage in YouTube videos that get monetized at some point? Any restrictions or requirements? Does it involve EA in any way?

5. Do I need special permission to use map fly-through footage in videos where the topic at hand has nothing to do with RenX? Just for showing off the landscapes for instance, as a cinematic gamey touch while discussing something else unrelated?

That's everything I would like to know for now and I really appreciate any assistance you good people could provide! :)

Edited by AZ-Stalker

• Totem Arts Staff

1.  RypelCam. 

In console: Demoplay [demoname] - Plays back a demo with the name specified. .Demo files go to the demo folder in ../UDKGAME/Demos

Cam install the easy way: To install, in UDKGame.ini (Found in: UDKGame/Config) set DecalManagerClassPath to RenX_RCam_StandAlone.RCamDecalmanager

2.  Yes.  You must record a demo yourself in online skirmish.  To do so press F5, then type recorddemo.  A demo will be recorded for your skirmish game until you leave.  The demo file should be saved in your demo folder.  To change speeds, there are instructions in RypelCam.

3.  RypelCam will do it for you.  There is also a way ingame by typing into the console: togglescreenshotmode.  This will remove the HUD online or skirmish.

4.  No idea.  I do it and know one has said anything about it.

5.  I can't answer that.

Note:  If you want demos from the servers you have to have permission from the server owners.  Also servers have mutators that you need to download in order to view the demos.

If you need more information regarding RypelCam, ask me or better yet ask @RypeL.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure, but as for question number 4 I'm 90-99 percent sure EA doesn't want you to make money off this game, even in terms of using RenX footage for YouTube videos. EA gave green light to Totem Arts to do the RenX project AND said not to make money off of it, not even a single penny. If in doubt, you could inquire EA about it.

• Like 1

It is quite normal that YouTube videos get monetized. If we would be against that pretty much noone could show RenX on YouTube. So id say that of course you can use RenX content on YouTube like everyone else. Aslong as you dont do something stupid like claiming it to be your game. Just include us in the video description pls if you use RenX content in your vids and if it isent obvious enough from the vid itself. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RypeL said:

Just include us in the video description pls if you use RenX content in your vids and if it isent obvious enough from the vid itself. 

Why of course - a note on which game is being shown is to be expected. It's common courtesy and brings in potential new players to the scene, which is always good. So no worries on that front.

5 hours ago, Chrisjh0223 said:

EA gave green light to Totem Arts to do the RenX project AND said not to make money off of it, not even a single penny. If in doubt, you could inquire EA about it.

I'll take a more detailed look into it soon just to be on the safe side. I'm not planning on monetizing any videos anytime soon, but trying to future-proof videos should anything like that happen at some point down the line.

Thank you both for the helpful replies! I really appreciate it.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

As far as i know YouTube works like this: You make your video and upload it. Then if someone thinks it should be there money cause of their content beeing shown they can make a copyright claim and make the money of the vid go their way. EA will not do that and neither will we. The only way you could get into trouble is by actually explicitly asking EA...

Shouldn't be a problem LavaDr4gon since neither Totem Arts who made the game nor EA who owns the IP will likely claim anything from your videos. If perhaps EA were to step in at some point for whatever reason, the videos would get something like ID claims (content like the Renegade voice clips could be detected) and your monetization for those specific videos would just be turned off as far as I know.

I'm not sure how copyright works regarding Renegade X and EA since Totem Arts has permission to make the game available for free, but it's still EA's IP so if they can issue claims which lead to copyright strikes for a game that isn't theirs but uses their IP with permission, that'd be really strange to tackle. I'm not a legal expert, just thinking out loud considering we've made this into a productive YouTube policy topic.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

Guest Gliven

There would be a hell of a lot of youtubers out of business if you could not monetize game play footage. EA said the developers of the game can not make money off the game itself. There is literally nothing stopping a 3rd party from monetizing youtube videos showcasing gameplay.

Edited by Gliven

4 hours ago, Agent said:

When it comes to YouTube videos, it's honestly probably better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Worst that would ever happen is the video getting taken down.

One worse possibility; the account hosting a video gets 100% terminated. But that only happens if there were 2 prior strikes, or there was a major violation on behalf of an account owner.

• Totem Arts Staff
27 minutes ago, Chrisjh0223 said:

One worse possibility; the account hosting a video gets 100% terminated. But that only happens if there were 2 prior strikes, or there was a major violation on behalf of an account owner.

Unless he's like... a repeat offender then that's about as likely to happen as me getting tired of Gliven's avatar. 

• Like 1