[OpenRa missions] I made this :)

Schmitzenbergh

Hey all,

I was poking around in the OpenRa editor and thought, how hard could it be to make a mission in this. Well after some reading through the current created missions and scripts, I made 2 missions and a third one will come later. Thought I might post it here as we all love CnC right :D (even though im not all that happy with some implementations in OpenRa, the arty and mlrs are brütal in range)

Anyway, place the 2 folders in the zip into

<your driveletter>:\Users\<your username>\Documents\OpenRA\maps\cnc\release-<whatever stands here>

You can find the maps in the mission selector. The 2 missions are called:

1. Running from evil;
  2. Gathering the truth.

If you peeps have any ideas for the third and last map of this "mini campaign", let me know! :) 

You can download the missions here: OpenRaMissions-Schmitzenbergh.zip

Glhf (and dont be surprised if it contains some minor bugs)

-Schmitz out

Mission 1 Feedback - Thrown right into the action in this one. It took me a couple seconds to take in the situation, but I put the soldiers into the APC and escaped alongside the Humvee. Other than the start, it was a basic "micro" mission, moving the two vehicles around to avoid damage and to maintain their health. I cleared it without much difficulty, just lost the Humvee to the Artillery and ran past the two final Buggies. I never used the Infantry.

Overall, a fun little map with the civilians somewhat helping the player by telling them where to go. I saw a glimpse of a Nod MCV and their base, but ran past it. The hardest part was figuring out what to do at the beginning.

Mission 2 Feedback - "A+Left Click" makes this mission extremely easy, but it is an option for "Easy Difficulty" similar to how other Commando missions work. If the player had to aim manually, it would be a bit more difficult and more in-line of classic C&C.

Also, since the player has full control of the Transport Helicopter, it can be used as a scouting vehicle or land elsewhere instead of the "intended" location. A fun method of keeping this way may be manipulating how the Nod base works. Instead of everything going off-line, Nod sells off it's SAM Sites to keep the Obelisk operational. So, instead of waltzing in the front door, the player sneaks in with the helicopter to complete the mission.

Overall, another fun little micro mission, although "A Move" somewhat breaks it. The hardest part was the at the end with the Flame Troopers. Also, is the village just for decoration? After seeing the first mission, a part of me expected to see something there.

Map Idea: Retaliation - Nod has stolen some GDI Tech from the outpost and are now testing "Tiberian Tanks," a improved version of their Flame Tank that  is more durable and fires projectiles similar to their Chemical Trooper. Build a base and take out their testing facility. (Alternatively, to keep with the "micro theme," give the player a strike force to destroy the facility with.)

Should be a simple mission as it is just destroy the enemy base, but the new thing is a modified (or cloned) Flame Tank, much like how there were Super Tanks in Monster Tank Madness (Red Alert). It should also help with some practice in getting used to the OpenRA engine.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback @Sire!

I am aware of the chinook being controllable, the a-left click move not, that's a bummer :( I need to figure out how to make the chinook return off screen when you are on the other side of the water. (This is mainly a problem due to OpenRa letting air units go into the shrouded areas) Maybe I could incorporate your idea with the obelisk, it would make using the chinook to enter the base quite fun  :)

I had plans with the village, but eventually scrapped them. Couldn't make good use of the space so i just left it there as decoration.

And for mission 3: are you a mind reader or something? That was kinda the idea I was going for in the last mission :P Chem-tanks with lots of chem-troopers herassing you. I was planning to use a bigger version of the map in the first mission. Starting with the commando to take out an existing nod base so you can build yours there. Other than that it will be a "destroy the enemy base" mission.

I greatly thank you for your input! Alas, my vacation is over and my studies are starting again in the end of Januari so time will be limited again :( On the plus side: these missions don't take that much time to make! (At least 100x quicker then a RenX map!)