Beginner Questoins

dirtybob

Hi there,

this is my first day with ren x. Some questions:

In my last 3 games on the bot server most real people chose nod. Is this normal? Is there a balancing problem?

Is stealth useful?

Is there a common strategy guide?

When a nuclear beacon is placed, how can I find and neutralise it?

Do you get credits when the harvester is down?

Does the harvester automatically rebuild?

Is it egoistic to become a raveshaw f.e.?

Kind regards

Hey, bob

20 minutes ago, dirtybob said:

In my last 3 games on the bot server most real people chose nod. Is this normal? Is there a balancing problem? Some ppl just find more interesting to play as Nod. There is no big balance problem.

Is stealth useful? Yes, it depends..

Is there a common strategy guide? If it looks expensive, destroy it -yosh. VERY IMPORTANT: leave placing mines procedure to experienced players, and watch where are they placing them ..hopefuly it would be changed in the future.

Does the harvester automatically rebuild? Yes.

Is it egoistic to become a raveshaw f.e.? What?o_O

HowToPlay.png

1 minute ago, Axesor said:

Hey, bob

HowToPlay.png

egoistic means: it's 1000 credits which seems a lot. In my games I've seen no such special character. So noone gets angry when they see me taking one of these?

stealth: does the gdi units see the stealth units like the nod player (in this blue skin)? if no - when do they get uncovered?

" leave placing mines procedure to experienced players, and watch where are they placing them ..hopefuly it would be changed in the future. " what do you mean by that?

59 minutes ago, dirtybob said:

Is stealth useful? Automated Defenses see you, players only see you point-blank. Players can also blind-fire looking for you. It gets you out of base, but even engineers can sneak alongside rocks if nobody sees them do it.

Is there a common strategy guide? Unfortunately, no comprehensive up-to-date one I am aware of. Wikis and legacy guides exist.

When a nuclear beacon is placed, how can I find and neutralise it? It makes a pinging sound the closer you are, and it has a flashing light. You can diffuse it and other explosives by diffusing them with a repair gun. Be careful not to be shot. Additionally, it helps your team if you press Q while starting at one, as the Q button automatically sends a team message with the target and location of anything you're looking at. For instance, if you see c4 on your building, press Q to alert your team.

Do you get credits when the harvester is down? Yes, at a reduced rate.

Does the harvester automatically rebuild? Yes, but repetitive death, gives the enemy veterancy, and denies you credits every time it fails to bring back tiberium from the field.

Is it egoistic to become a raveshaw f.e.? No, people love Rave/Sydney. They are also not cost-effective though, so if you die it sets you back the cost of an expensive vehicle. Advanced Repair Units are only 1/3rd the price, tanks are usually 4/5th the price, Officers are 175 and have a good chance of defeating a Rave, snipers are 500 and have a good chance of killing a Rave, and Rocket Soldiers are 225 and do about as much damage to vehicles. If you're rich though, they are wonderful, though best you stay alive, throw EMP grenades at vehicles chasing you, at vehicles rushing the base, make sure to place AT mines at base entrance before leaving, throw EMP grenades at enemy building doorways even if you're just hanging out around their base as it disarms mines and forces them to look around, and make sure to stay alive.

Also, good luck. We have an organized Saturday game through Teamspeak3 chat client, if you figure out the game well enough. Ideally, the game only requires you to stick beside someone and assist them with a good choice of class, whether you're healing them in field, using same unit to do twice the damage, or using an officer to defend them while they walk around. It isn't that hard, just always do what someone else is doing to increase odds of successfully doing something. Easy game, really. Either someone comes up with a plan and you show up en masse to rush the enemy with it, or they don't but you still find someone doing something and help them do that thing, like getting a tank, or keeping tanks alive, or following field infantry to parry in numbers.

38 minutes ago, dirtybob said:

egoistic means: it's 1000 credits which seems a lot. In my games I've seen no such special character. So noone gets angry when they see me taking one of these?

No. The credits you get are your credits only. You can do whatever you want. Each player has its own credit income.

stealth: does the gdi units see the stealth units like the nod player (in this blue skin)? if no - when do they get uncovered?

You can see an enemy stealthed player if you walk close to him. If a stealthed player fires a shot, he gets automatically visible.

" leave placing mines procedure to experienced players, and watch where are they placing them ..hopefuly it would be changed in the future. " what do you mean by that?

Just watch and learn how experienced players do it :)

• Totem Arts Staff
18 minutes ago, Xtractor said:

Oh and NEVER leave your Vehicule when your a GDI ,Because it might get steall  by a stleath Guy just waiting for that moment

Also applies to Nod. In fact, the lack of stealth on GDI's part makes Nod even more careless than GDI

1 hour ago, dirtybob said:

Most mines are placed on the building's doors, 3 per door. Some exceptions may apply on specific maps. The restriction of mines as of now makes it risky for newbies to mine if they don't know how to do it right. The general points are :

1. 3 Mines are enough to destroy a single infantry of any class.

2. Hotwire/Technician and Engineers, as well as EMP grenades can defuse them, so people place them near the doors and leave as less gap as possible, not all people do this though, and it's not exactly mandatory

3. Vehicles can trigger mines, so it's best set them behind the doors, lest tanks will trigger these mines if it's too close to the doors. It's discouraged to place mines that are not AT mines on the base entrance, except for tunnels

4. Stacking mines may or may not nullify each others, don't remember if it's fixed or not

5. mines have small trigger radius, best to make sure all mines get triggered the moment enemies enter the door

6. They are meant to deter rushes and alert defenders, make sure to watch the counter.

7. Each game sets a mine limit. Each excessive mines will remove mines that are placed earlier. This is called 'Overmining'

8. Mine counter applies to the whole team.

9. AT mines don't count on mine counter

10. Hand of Nod and Airstrip windows are susceptible to infiltration if ramps are available.

11. Barracks mining can be simplified to mine the sandbag entrances provided no other access (such as roof or sandbag hopping rocks) are available

If you're not confident, don't touch the Proxy Mines unless you have to

23 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

diffuse

DEfuse ¬¬

• Totem Arts Staff
15 hours ago, YagiHige said:

Can we just agree to defuse this situation, before it diffuses into my mood for the day? I have Autocorrect and it approved the message because it's an actual word, just used wrong.

You know I'm just kidding right? I've seen a lot of people saying diffuse when it's supposed to say defuse, so somebody has to point it out at long last :P

22 hours ago, dirtybob said:

thank you guys. anotehr question:
I can't download the update at the beginning. I couldn't download the game via launcher too...(got a link from the forum with the torrent).
Is this issue known? (win7)

Some people do seem to struggle with downloading and applying updates and downloading maps.

However the Installer MSI does appear to have issues at the moment. So this may be the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dirtybob said:

The client update still doesn't work .

It starts downloading and calls for a restart - then the launcher is restarted and the whole process starts again. But I luckily can play via the "old launcher" too. Anybody knows how to solve this bug?

Is it a launcher update or a game update? Does it tell you to update to a new version? If so, which version does it say you have and to which one does it want to update?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.12.2016 at 3:41 PM, Schmitzenbergh said:

Is it a launcher update or a game update? Does it tell you to update to a new version? If so, which version does it say you have and to which one does it want to update?

It's a launcher update. I've got 0.63 and it wants to update to 0.65. Previously it was 0.64 but didn't work too.

Edited by dirtybob

• 2 weeks later...
On 3.1.2017 at 6:56 PM, Agent said:

You can manually download the launcher package from here to apply the launcher update: http://cdn.renegade-x.com/site/launcher-4115.zip

Thank u!

I downloaded it but it now wants to download the whole game again? How can I connect it with my current game?

( I extracted it in the "launcher" folder and replaced the old files)

Edited by dirtybob

• 1 month later...

Okay a last try - otherwise I will uninstall this.

My launcher doesn't update. I know it might be a solution to reinstall the whole game, but I don't want to download several gigs every time the launcher is updated.

How can I update the launcher manually ? Can you tell me step by step?

1) RenegadeX/Launcher, should be path of launcher. Launcher shouldn't be elsewhere.

2) If you download the newest launcher, noting that "launcher" updates and the "launcher", are separate from "game updates" and the "game", then you should only need download 800mb or less, whatever size the launcher was again. That would be any download "mirror" from the Downloads section at the top of the RenegadeX website. There is only 1 place to download the game as a download and not "through the launcher", and that's iTweek's post.

3) So if you insist... Step 1: Go to existing RenegadeX folder, cut and paste "old launcher" folder somewhere for a backup. Step 2: Click "Download" at top of page, click Download on Launcher by Totem Arts. Step 3: Install it. Step 4: Cut and paste "new launcher" folder into RenegadeX folder. Step 5: Run new launcher.

@Agent - C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X - Win7

@YagiHige - if I download the "launcher" in iTweek it downloads an .msi which starts an installation. I did this, it finished after a short time. But nothing has changed.

Someone posted a link to a special launcher file above, I tried to replace this with the old launcher file, but then the game said "Looks like it's the first time you launch renegade, you have to download and install  the game".

There was nothing special about the link I gave you earlier; it was just the launcher. I asked for installation & OS mostly because I wanted to see if perhaps it was installed to somewhere other than C:, to see if it was a problem of the sorts like that.

The .msi file literally just installs the launcher; it should overwrite your existing launcher. If it doesn't, then you can try to download and replace the files manually using the most recent launcher version, which is currently here: http://cdn.renegade-x.com/site/launcher-4297.zip

If you want to manually update your launcher, all you have to do is replace the files in /Launcher with the files inside of that zip. That should be all you have to do. Note: The contents of the zip are what go into /Launcher. Do not copy the folder named launcher-4297 into /Launcher; copy the contents from launcher-4297 into /Launcher. Once you've updated it, that's it, you're done. It may still however prompt you to update your game client, because there have been game patches pushed recently.

Ok I hope I found the error...

I had 2 directories for renX...dunno why.

Now it's loading an "update".....>2GB....is that normal?

I have a certain amount of traffic and can't download these big amounts for a little "update" - sounds like it's downloading the whole game again?

Edited by dirtybob

I checked my fritzbox for traffic and found out that I use less than 50GB/month-average ....so I made a deal with 100GB limitation......costs half the price....but I can't have a game then which updates that much often....I'll dl it now - hope it works then...thank u for the answers!

Edited by dirtybob