More informative unit info

ex_member

Hi,

what about improving the info about units at purchase terminal ?

Instead of having these squares put real numbers(like you did for speed) there and display more info about a unit.

For example:

-damage: 4.20
-alt.damage: 6.70
-dmg/s: 45.10
-fire rate: 55.30
-armor: Flak 150
-splash
-afterburn ... and so on and so on.

Too much info.

First, there is nowhere to put this info. And too detailed info is irrelevant in such a RTS-FPS game as RenX is.

It would be important if we had more types of assault rifles, or flamethrowers, explosives etc... but I think that it's very clear what does each class do. Each class do more or less its role, and thats whats important.

Edited by Axesor

On 06.12.2016. at 10:31 PM, Axesor said:

Too much info.

First, there is nowhere to put this info. And too detailed info is irrelevant in such a RTS-FPS game as RenX is.

It would be important if we had more types of assault rifles, or flamethrowers, explosives etc... but I think that it's very clear what does each class do. Each class do more or less its role, and thats whats important.

I think there is enough space to display the info. Those squares are taking pretty much of the space and still not providing some important info - as info about armor.

On 07.12.2016. at 0:07 AM, Madkill40 said:

It has a C&C styled info stats on every character portrait, how is this not enough? 

IMAO it is not telling the whole story about a unit and it is missing some important info.

Imagine having SPEED of units displayed in the same way(with squares) you would not be able to see a difference between some of units, although there is a difference.

I think it only needs info for the unit's general role like "Anti-tank" for Rocket soldiers, Laser Black Hand, Raveshaw and Sydney; and "Demolitions/Maintenance" for engineers. Has this implemented? because I never notice or read the purchase buttons after I played it for a month.

However, having detailed stats like what is being suggested here is quite handy, but if it's too much detail then put it on another section, like having a small question mark button at each unit and it displays the detailed info in a small window when clicked or the EVA Data Link from Renegade when you press Esc you can view basic info and tips for the units. The purchase section should be clean and simple.

• Like 1

There is a reason why most games tend to have health bars instead of health numbers: it is easier to understand at a quick glance than numbers only. Same applies on the squares displaying infantry stats; they are easy to grasp.

If you want more detailed info, just visit either the wiki, GitHub repo, or the SDK.

You wouldnt know what is rocket soldier for if it wasnt said to you?

As I said.. too detailed info is irrelevant in such a game as RenX is. Since player find out what gun-type paced game the RenX is, they dont need more info than current visual bars + type of armor that character use. If dmg bar is full, it means that character deals shit ton of dmg, and 1 point clearly means that weapon does really shitty dmg. As I remember, there are also written pros and weaknesses for each characters. 

Oh now I remember that there are also several types of damage for each armor type. ^ this sht right up there will say, that your full dmg bar will do almost no damage to heavy armor for example. It is very clear what does each character do and I would even say that numbers confuse a player even more. There is  no time to study such an unimportant things while playing.. if you rly want to study this unimportant detailed stats, you can use wiki. And it still wouldnt be any helpfull in any way.

4 hours ago, vandal33 said:

I think it only needs info for the unit's general role like "Anti-tank" for Rocket soldiers, Laser Black Hand, Raveshaw and Sydney; and "Demolitions/Maintenance" for engineers. Has this implemented? because I never notice or read the purchase buttons after I played it for a month.

However, having detailed stats like what is being suggested here is quite handy, but if it's too much detail then put it on another section, like having a small question mark button at each unit and it displays the detailed info in a small window when clicked or the EVA Data Link from Renegade when you press Esc you can view basic info and tips for the units. The purchase section should be clean and simple.

This sounds like a good solution. Put a special section under "?" where you can find more about the unit. In that case, the bar with squares can remain as it is in the main window as USER FIRENDLY info.