Custom Leaderboards

Henk

Hi,

Link: http://renxleaderboards.com/

Let me explain why I made this:

I have a school/college assignment where I, in short: need to create a website that offers a product or service for people, and then do Search Engine Optimization on it to get a high ranking on Google and pass SEO Checkers.

I already fiddled around with the leaderboard jsp file for a previous assingment, so I figured, why not use it for this assignment. It was no problem that there already is a leaderboard page, you know, the official one, it's even better for my assignment actually.

Now about the leaderboard itself:

- It uses the same data as the official leaderboards.

- Has sorting, like the official leaderboards

- Quick searching/filtering (no need to press enter or a button after typing a name)

- Show: 100, 250, 500, All

- Click on any username to see badges/achievements and their progress.

I hope those badges/achievements add even more reasons to play for people :)

They could be prettier, I know, I'm not a great artist. If anyone has some art skills and wants to help, that would be awesome.

GDI ranknames:

Private

Corporal

Sergeant

Special Forces (badge ideas?)

Commando (badge ideas?)

Nod ranknames:

Initiate

Disciple

Brother (better ideas, anyone?)

Black Hand

Inner Circle

For kills I want to use something different, if anyone has any ideas, post them!

Please note: I haven't optimized the site for mobile yet, and in Internet Explorer (if you use that..) the table isn't centered, but all the way to the left.

If some badges are huge, try F5 or Ctrl+R.

I also want to give thanks to MarkSchnayder for the PHP code that generates the table!

I had it working with javascript but it didn't work online because I couldn't get CORS to work, but this works just as good :)

At the moment that kind of info isn't saved into the leaderboard dataset.

Only things I can add with the data at this point is ratios, and hours & minutes the player has played. And that's only if they played it within the last two weeks.

Are there other games that show on Steam as if you're playing "Unreal Development Kit"/have appid 13260? My guess is not but that would also be a problem if I wanted to show hours played.

I'd love to have more data, like specific weapon or character stats, headshots, building and vehicle kills, doing X on map Y.

Combining with the veterancy system would be cool, and can be done if it's saved in a readable fileformat , preferably in the same dataset but a second one can be done as well.

Well done Henk, really like your implementation especially the achievements.

The current leaderboard was really fast made, just because I wanted it online as soon as possible ;). So, there is room for improvements. Next update will include a chance to select the past month and something like year/alltime.

I am open to kinda merge both together if this is requested.

year/alltime would be cool.

One idea I had was to store the data each week so people can see how their skills have progressed over time, with a timeline graph.

Maybe also the amount of minutes played. So you would be able to see your score, kills and deaths per minute/hour of each week, and notice how you've gotten better, or worse at the game.

Sadly there would be gaps in your data if there were a period of more than 2 weeks where you haven't played, nut it's better than nothing.

Small update: added some responiveness, and made the table look the same in Firefox as it already did in Chrome. Removed the Red Tiberium Badge from scores so every category has 5 ranks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the data stored in each entry, in a custom database format I wrote:

uint64_t steam_id, total_score;

uint32_t total_kills, total_deaths, total_headshot_kills, total_vehicle_kills, total_building_kills, total_defence_kills, total_captures, total_game_time, total_games, total_gdi_games, total_nod_games, total_wins, total_gdi_wins, total_nod_wins, total_beacon_placements, total_beacon_disarms, total_proxy_placements, total_proxy_disarms, // totals (15)
top_score, top_kills, most_deaths, top_headshot_kills, top_vehicle_kills, top_building_kills, top_defence_kills, top_captures, top_game_time, top_beacon_placements, top_beacon_disarms, top_proxy_placements, top_proxy_disarms, // tops (12)

most_recent_ip; // other (1)
time_t last_game;
Jupiter::StringS most_recent_name;

• 1 month later...

Just came here to say I passed the class for which I made this site, meaning I also passed the semester :)

I'm not working on the site anymore, the official leaderboards have improved now anyway. I'll keep it online for a while because I have the domain name until December and the hosting is free for me.

Oh I did notice btw i'm on #13 on the official leaderboards, and #75 on my leaderboards, do the official leaderboards get their data from more/less servers or over a smaller amount of time, like only since 5.15? If it's since 5.15 I can understand my #13 position because I played a lot yesterday.