Unable to start on my very old Windows XP Pro SP3 machine...

Ant

Hello.

I finally found free time to check out Renegade X, but it didn't want to launch on my very old 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3 box (3 GB of RAM, 512 MB ATI Radeon 4870 video card, etc. -- see http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/My ... rStuff.txt for the full details on my primary Windows box). I downloaded these four/4 files:

06/30/2015 05:07 PM 2,099,161,344 Renegade X-Beta 5-1.bin

06/30/2015 05:11 PM 286,165,063 Renegade X-Beta 5-2.bin

06/30/2015 05:11 PM 838,214 Renegade X-Beta 5.exe

01/10/2016 02:16 PM 1,361,213,487 Rx_Patch51Manual.zip

4 File(s) 3,747,378,108 bytes

I hope these are the right files to install and upgrade (overwrote the old files).

Launching its Launcher shows: "...\Renegade X Launcher.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Launching the game loads a black fullscreen with an animated hour glass cursor for like a minute and then crashed with this: http://pastie.org/pastes/10682876/text? ... jtibaum3qw ... I also noticed Windows Task Manager showing UDK.exe hogging a lot of memories like 1.5 GB! Is that right?

Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by Guest

It's hard for me to make anything out of the log you supplied (but hey I am not a pro),

First of all have a look at the specs:

https://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic ... 14&t=71612

I can't see your CPU, so...

Than I would suggest is:

- Download the 'big' exe file from the site or torrent

- Install it

- Update from the launcher

Good luck!

Yeah. Best bet, is to clean your XP install as good as possible so the OS itself takes up less than 200kb when running. Nothing else running in background. Then, try to install Ren-X. Then, manually change settings to "ultra-low [link]". Even then, I am calculating it taking at least 3.3gb of ram, so you need at least 1gb more of ram. Now, if your computer has a spare ram slot, or motherboard supports higher ram per slot, i'd tell you an upgrade may only cost 40 dollars. However, I must also tell you 40 dollars, to make a fairly crummy computer run a little better, is still a poor idea considering a computer with 8g ram you may find for like 300 dollars if you look good and well enough. Then again, maybe if you have some throw-away computers lying around somewhere, you can borrow ram from it if you did have an open slot.

If you want to try it for free though, setting it to bare minimum settings, makes the game run about 2.8g at main menu, maybe a little higher in-game, so it's your best bet.

I'm only concerned with how you ended up with those files. Where did you download from?
I don't remember. I downloaded them back in the summer of 2015 from Renegade's web site. I just never found the time to install and play. I'll redownload. :( Edited by Guest

In reality you need atleast 4 GB of ram. With 3 GB of ram you would need to do some serious hacks to your PC like mentioned to make the OS use less ram.
Windows says I have 2.5 GB of RAM, but people told me that the missing 512 MB of RAM is used by the video card?

It's hard for me to make anything out of the log you supplied (but hey I am not a pro),

First of all have a look at the specs:

https://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic ... 14&t=71612

I can't see your CPU, so...

Than I would suggest is:

- Download the 'big' exe file from the site or torrent

- Install it

- Update from the launcher

Good luck!

The CPU is listed in my link. ;)

... If you want to try it for free though, setting it to bare minimum settings, makes the game run about 2.8g at main menu, maybe a little higher in-game, so it's your best bet.
I can't even get to the main menu to configure. :/

As UDK could run in XP, shouldn't be a problem really. It looks like you have some faulty installation

Try using other mirror

I already tried two different download servers. If I had a bad download, wouldn't the installer fail?

As UDK could run in XP, shouldn't be a problem really. It looks like you have some faulty installation

Try using other mirror

RenX is using more ram then just UDK. It's not like all UDK games would need the same amount of ram. It is almost certainly crashing for him because of ram.

Try using other mirror

RenX is using more ram then just UDK. It's not like all UDK games would need the same amount of ram. It is almost certainly crashing for him because of ram.

Ah, so I really need 4 GB of RAM then which is a problem for me. OK, I'm going to give up by uninstalling and retrying when I get a hardware upgrade. Someone should upgrade the system requirements. Thanks all. :(

Yeah we should update the sys requirements. The current system requirements we just copied over from UDK. But the UDK specs are what you need to open up the UDK editor. Playing a full RenX map with all vehicles and the huge amount of sounds and effects etc is a little more demanding then a small UDK project.

We already did quite some experiments to get ram usage down by different packaging methods etc but it just was a pain and never really worked it was just a waste of our time.

Yeah we should update the sys requirements. The current system requirements we just copied over from UDK. But the UDK specs are what you need to open up the UDK editor. Playing a full RenX map with all vehicles and the huge amount of sounds and effects etc is a little more demanding then a small UDK project.

We already did quite some experiments to get ram usage down by different packaging methods etc but it just was a pain and never really worked it was just a waste of our time.

So, what are the official requirements for Renegade X. I was misled that it would run on my ancient setup. :( So, is it really 4 GB of RAM? Edited by Guest

So, what are the official requirements for Renegade X. I was misled that it would run on my ancient setup. :( So, is it really 4 GB of RAM?

It would only run with 3gb ram, if you did everything I said. As Yosh said, I too bet I could rig it to work with 3gb, but it would be just barely and would require the computer's idle to be as smooth and blank as possible, if steam in the background, then absolutely nothing else like "desktop widgets" and "speccy" and possibly even intensive antivirus and firewall software.

• 2 years later...

FYI. On the same exact ancient machine, I was forced to install a new 64-bit (can use all 6 GB of RAM) W7 HPE SP1 due to a hard October 2016's HDD crash (clicks of death). So, I recently retried the game. It ran just fine. :)

• Thanks 1