Devs Question

Xtractor

You're here since 2009 and yet your thread title is not informative at all.

registred in 2009 but joined in 2015 :P

Yep its was a Dev question ,also a character question , a new character ,swap character ..

Yeah I should had wrote "A dev question:Have you tought of adding new characters ? What could be one ?"

as title and said in my post ..title say all :P

ok just for the sake of it ... blocking volume guy (main weapon is a blocking volume gun that shots blocking volumes)

To be fair, a lot of League of Legends utility character types are quite interesting in design. Like "blocking volume guy" could literally be a guy with an EMP gun that creates a field to repel missiles and bullets.

I am not saying that should be in a game, stuff like that is too non-canon and too inconvenient and spins the game atop it's head.

McFarland was added though, he was convenient because the game started as a UT2006 mod and Flak Cannon was a UT weapon (?) and was very good utility to give GDI (a corner kiting anti-tunnel-sniper and crowd-control infantry).

To add or re-purpose a unit, would require "opportunity" or "necessity". We aren't going to start adding things that weren't in CNC, aren't balance, or "sound cool". It has to at least be 2 of those things, be CNC, be balanced, or sound cool. McFarland was an easy write-in. Tib-Sun vehicles were an easy write-in. If we wanted tiberian weapons like flichette and auto-rifle to make sense to be overpowered by making them shoot/use "blue tiberium", that could honestly be at least 2 of those things, but we aren't going to add a character that is a knock-off of a Jedi or something.

Patch is supposed to fill the role of "better chaingun than officer."

Right now it's trying to be some kind of AV character. That's Gunner's role, he exists specifically to give GDI an edge in that area. You need to buy a mid tier character + old patch gun to match the LCG's dmg/hp, and old patch gun is way worse than LCG now because of the mag size nerf

Not even sure if we are playing same game sometimes. I mean, maybe if you are calculating near-100% accuracy with the LCG, but it probably won't balance well if you calculate it like that, these 5 people who can do it will never be on the same plane of existence as pubs and matches require ~32 people so we need to balance the game accordingly.

Same reason i'd support mild sniper nerfs and sidearm nerfs, because those things are too good if you are good and fairly good even if you aren't, they need to stay fairly good but lose some of their max-performance.

But none of that is even important because you are literally discussing game mechanics and not balance. LCG is not just "better chaingun", and neither was old Patch's flichette in old Ren.

Aside from being infantry-focused while GDI is vehicle-focused, Nod has SBH which eliminates a role-variation (because SBH consumes a spot on the roster and doesn't do a GDI-equivalent). Therefore, both teams have that sniper, and Nod gets the LCG which converges universal killing-power with anti-armor, while GDI gets 2 flavors, a very powerful anti-armor structure-threatening Gunner, and an adequate AT and AP suppression Patch, though slightly weaker against personell than LCG.

Ask for Chem, Chem is already stronger than need be if you can predict enemy movement, and McFarland is really a great supplement for GDI infantry, not for strength, but for cheap cost and utility, as he can kite corners and suppress crowds and snipers. McFarland is fine as is, maybe too strong if anything, and Chem is significantly too strong but not game-breaking.

Which brings me to my last point. Old-Sydney was total shit too. Patch lacked vehicle damage, but Sydney lacked any damage. The current tib-rifle is fairly too far on the strong side, but it is 5x stronger than old tib-rifle, and Sydney would never do the same crowd-control and corner-spam job as McFarland. Assuming you gave her the current tib-rifle, she still would be more flat and unequivalent to chem, not to mention more overpowered. McFarland actually does some light armor damage, has decent range and single-hit impact, and is still not entirely OP due to clip size, rate of fire, clip max-damage, and max range.

• Totem Arts Staff

Gunner's rocket isn't that slow, however it being one of the only non-homing weapons that is fired and tracked server side means the delay between firing and rockets actually appearing makes using Gunner totally latency dependent. Theres a reason I literally don't use him aside from hitting buildings unless my ping is sub 200.

Honestly if and when Gunner is handled like other guns I think Patch can finally stop being a non hit-scan Volt Rifle. Hell at this very second Gunner can singlehandedly own an Arty in about 1 clip and a Pistol clip.

wondering what kind of ability could counter SBH for GDI.

)

Give patch goggles or a binocular to see stealth

If added, it would have to be very controlled. It wouldn't be able to give "total stealth vision at all ranges", it would have to give double the current range or something, Also, it would have to be a character that couldn't abuse it, patch would barely be able to use it since he isn't the character to walk around base patrolling unless you change the whole character.

Also, right now stealth is in a GOOD place as far as visibility, only blind people who aren't attuned to the game miss it. I know when I am close enough to get caught and I always get caught at that range by 99% of players. If increased vision is granted to a certain character, a reduction to other characters might be necessary. Since stealth is a very situational ability.

It would be LESS gamebreaking, to give a character a way to turn off stealth, like a bullet or beam that renders visible on contact, because at least then the stealth still works same as before. Then again, usually if you do find a sbh, you have other methods to track them until you kill them, rarely do they get away.

It would be LESS gamebreaking, to give a character a way to turn off stealth, like a bullet or beam that renders visible on contact
or kind of sting that stick to the SBH or STank that keep him visible but that can be neutralized like a t-c4 by techs

?

You're both talking about chem/fire burns, and one of the main roles for old sydney. Fletcher's dot isn't nearly as spammable.

Both patch guns apply burns...

You're both talking about chem/fire burns, and one of the main roles for old sydney. Fletcher's dot isn't nearly as spammable.

Actually, that is HALF a decent idea, if burn/chem lasted 2.5x longer, but did the same damage in that timeframe. Burns only last 2 seconds, if it lasted 5 it would be idea against stealth. Chem, now that isn't something that often comes across "stealth", but if it lasted 10 seconds, it would be the premier counter to stealth because it would essentially be a death sentence.

Actually, while we are talking abilities of characters, it WAS discussed to be a GOOD idea, to make "burn damage" as well as certain weapons themselves, damage health and bypass armor. Would require a nerf to their "effectual" damage, and would not work well as a team with weapons that do armor damage (burning from both ends of the candle), but would stack with fall damage and other such things.