Commandos

Mystic~

I think someone may have suggested this before to an extent and past updates have been going more in this direction anyway:

The Havoc/Sakura class should be a full out aggressive commando unit adept at infiltrating and destroying bases with C4 and other equipment (smoke, emps, grenades etc) and easily dealing with basic infantry, sort of like the Commando unit in the original Tiberian Dawn and in keeping with Havoc's character in the solo gameplay; and not just a souped-up sniper. They just don't feel right or suited to the role of sniping.

The primary gun could be changed to some sort of silenced assault rifle - something like the Carbine but styled with a much longer barrel to be more powerful against infantry with both hipfire and including a mid-range scope/semi-auto. You could even give them a grenade launcher attachment to make them useful against stopping light armored vehicles (middle click or something) like the turret smart-bombs featured on Whiteout - and still be some-what useful against heavy armor. It would be pretty frustrating to get mowed down by a Humvee/Nod-buggy.

These changes would turn it into a versatile character that is rugged and more capable of traversing the battlefield and surviving for longer periods behind enemy lines. Presently the hotwire and tech class with the carbine upgrade is already masquerading and being used as the primary commando unit - but they really lack the health/armor and weaponry to put up much of a fight unless two (or more) go as a dual pair and heal each other.

Havoc/Sakura were both given timed in a prior update, but in keeping with what I'm suggesting here they would be given their timed C4 back in addition to the remotes - or given two timed and one swappable for a smoke/emp grenade in addition to the two remotes.

Hotwires and Techs would then become the primary supporting and defensive unit of the game. Sure, they could still sneak/infiltrate on their own... but to me they're more like a football/soccer goalkeeper pushing to the front - they're vulnerable and it's very risky for them if undefended/supported.

There would then only be one sniper class, which could be buffed again to compensate for the loss of the Ramjet - or the 500 could be given the Ramjet instead and turned into a 750 or something - idk.

Obviously there would be some new weapon modelling, animation and some coding required as its asking for more than just a tweak, maybe existing assets are enough - I don't know exactly how well the game is still supported in this respect but it would be great if this were feasible.

stock-photo-m-carbine-with-silencer-equipped-with-an-m-grenade-launcher-163881098.jpg.357fd0007e5efaeaf4af81c9ed24d345.jpg

I like david's idea aswell. Would add uniqueness to the classes. At the moment very very few people go for the 500 sniper due to the nerf so it would revive it to turn the havoc/sakura into a truly commando unit that is supposed to go behind enemy lines and .....wait for it.....wreak HAVOC in the enemy's base. It would also discourage people going full lone wolf due to the bigger cost of the infiltration unit and might actually encourage teamworking aswell , especially since at the moment the tech/hotwire does exactly 100% building (which means that the infiltration with hotie/techie has a lots of chances to fail).

• Totem Arts Staff

I've been thinking about having commandos for a long time. There is one important factor that you forgot to mention which has its own problems: mines.

You can simply say "buy an emp grenade" but I feel like that isn't infiltration. I remember someone mentioning a "Repair tool" in the SDK files. I thought about having it modified into a "disarmament tool" so a commando class unit can use it to disarm mines.

Yeah, my primary solution was an EMP - with the proposed gun a commando in theory would be able to fight off some of the defenders and can afford to use more brute force. The opposing team would still have to be alert and reactive to respond in time. If it could achieve a building take down single handed completely covertly it might be too powerful? It would still be capable of doing some permanent damage with the building armor in place.

It's also possible to probe weak spots, perhaps where there are less than 5 mines. I'm not sure exactly how much mine damage they can safely absorb on average, but I've seen SBH run through doors with 4 and survive on occasion.

So whilst the hoty/tech can do it without triggering alarms, they take more risk reaching their objective as they can't survive very long in the open and can be dispatched more easily upon discovery. If it were to be introduced I'd be tempted to remove upgraded sidearms from adv engineers to ensure they play a more supportive role - suggested the same thing for snipers and SBH (different thread).

There's still the option of planting and defending a beacon, which GDI might start to try more and maybe people would start to work more in small teams of 2 as Commando/Hotwire in support etc.