Flickering frames/camera

Henk

I don't have screencapture software at the moment, so I'll try to describe my problem instead.

I think it started happening when I used Command Line Arguments, I did that in order to record an Ion cannon strike for the Snow trailer. My screen just decides to jump back a few frames sometimes, looks a bit flickery, and it shows frames from like a second ago. This makes it impossible for me to play properly.

I uninstalled everything, used Shift+Delete to delete any remaining files (in Program Files (x86)\Renegade X), and did a fresh install with the new update, but the problem is still there. It happens a lot, maybe when it goes lower than 40 FPS but not sure, it's hard to read the FPS counter with that flickering.

I tried V-Sync and frame smoothing, didn't make a difference.

Maybe it helps if someone has the system settings ini's for me with (preferably) medium quality settings?

I think the Command Line Arguments I used were: Benchmark, Dumpmovie and FPS. I have since removed those arguments from the shortcut ofcourse.

Link to Command Line Arguments documentation: https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CommandLineArguments.html

• 2 months later...

I've tried my Laptops resolution (1920x1080) and 1366x768.

When I play in SDK I don't have the problem, copying the settings/config files from the SDK directory to the game directory didn't work.

I made a video with my iPods' (shitty) camera:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d83yeea1fwixf ... 0.MOV?dl=0

It looks kind of like what the Orca's used to do, but now my camera does it (not the iPod camera, the in-game camera that follows your player, also in 1st person), it seems?

This makes it really difficult to play the game..

I read it and it's all about connection with the server, but I also get the problem in Skirmish and on the menu screen.

Anyway I tried adding

DynamicPingThreshold=400.000000 to the [Engine.PlayerController] section in UDKGame.ini, but no difference..

What I did with the command line arguments was force the game to run at 60FPS and Ultra settings (this meant everything went in slow-motion or my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it), and output a screenshot of each frame to a folder. I wish I still had those outputted images, because they were in the wrong order.

I'll try to explain; it would for example skip frame #65 and then show it after frame #69, and that is exactly what is still happening, even though I removed the Command Line Arguments..

Ryz mentioned to me that there might be some remaining settings files in the Windows Registry, does anyone know where to find those and delete them?

(Kind of) fixed! :)

I uninstalled, removed everything, deleted everything related I could find with regedit, and re-installed, still had the problem.

However, I don't have the problem when I use my integrated graphics (intel) instead of nVidia, but this meant I had to put the graphics to lowest, and then tick off the remaining graphics settings boxes, and set my resolution to 1366x768 instead of 1080p. Framerate was usually between 30 to 40. So that's one solution..

But it's already improved a lot now that I turned off Thread Optimalization, rest of the settings are set to default. I don't think I have any SLI options, it only shows my Nvidia GPU in the settings, not the Intel one (not worthy of the title of GPU I guess :P ). It still happens a little, but rarely so far, it's playable again now. :D