Chinook

Balanced? Unbalanced? Unbelievably broken? You decide.

Seriously though, I almost never see people using these to their full potential the range on those miniguns are absolutely insane. Is there anyway one could make them more used as a support aircraft?

How about a 20 mm cannon on the nose? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Trollyness aside, maybe it'd be handy to extend out the gunner platforms a couple inches? Then you could shoot directly in-front or behind where the Chinook is facing instead of what you get right now, clipping the barrel inside the chopper.

I am still sold, on uniqueness alone, to let the chinook have 1 pilot and 2 passengers, and both passengers are mounted on outside, and are damaged by bullets but immune/greatly reduced damaged against explosions, and can use their character weapons. Meaning you can toss c4 off it, you can fire volt auto off it, you can snipe off it (it would be wibble wobble and out in the open anyway). Would be a good counter against aircraft, would not be any better at building kills, and would be amazing as an infiltration or cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man this unit could be awesome, so much better than the flying coffin it was in Renegade.

Can this game engine support "rappelling" logic? Imagine, the Chinook can airdrop people, or airlift a single tank! The Chinook's pilot can unfurl the rope from it's back, and passengers can press E to slide down the rope. The Chinook's pilot can also use clamps on the bottom of the Chinook to pickup a vehicle, and drop it off somewhere.

That would be hilarious!

Those are good rappelling ideas DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr mentioned, they were in oldren's campaign so it makes sense if Totem Arts gives this ability to the Chinook. Yes, it could be hilarious in DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr's eyes but I simply see it as logical in war and in vid games.

The problem I see with this is someone could airdrop tanks on unreachable platforms (only reachable via air unit) on the Walls map much like how some people like to drop off snipers on those platforms. People have complained about those sniping positions, imagine if it was a Mammoth or MRLS up there (probably too powerful of an advantage). If you give the vehicle transport ability to the Chinook, put some sort of barrier around those platforms which causes ground vehicles to slip and slide off the platform.

• Totem Arts Staff
Oh man this unit could be awesome, so much better than the flying coffin it was in Renegade.

Can this game engine support "rappelling" logic? Imagine, the Chinook can airdrop people, or airlift a single tank! The Chinook's pilot can unfurl the rope from it's back, and passengers can press E to slide down the rope. The Chinook's pilot can also use clamps on the bottom of the Chinook to pickup a vehicle, and drop it off somewhere.

That would be hilarious!

Not going to lie... rappelling sounds useless when we all already have parachutes.

Airlifting vehicles MIGHT get considered down the line... like WAAY down the line.

That would be hilarious!

Not going to lie... rappelling sounds useless when we all already have parachutes.

Airlifting vehicles MIGHT get considered down the line... like WAAY down the line.

Imagine people airlifting mammoths or MRLS/arties to top plateau on walls. No base will be safe 8)

That would be hilarious!

It could work with a movement penalty depending on what the Chinook is carrying. But still, I can see so many cheap spots being exploited.

It could work with a movement penalty depending on what the Chinook is carrying. But still, I can see so many cheap spots being exploited.

Not if vehicle blocking volumes are placed where they shouldn't be. This might be borderline "blocks people when they can't tell", but they should be able to tell to not put the vehicles on the plateau. Obviously, the hope is that the vehicle will hang up the carrying Chinook preventing it from flying into vehicle blockers.

• 2 weeks later...

I always really loved the idea in certain vehicles of being able to use the player's actual weapons (for passengers).

Definitely would be an amazing fit for the Chinook.

Although I'd also love it for the Hum-Vee and Buggy too, useless vehicles <-<

• Totem Arts Staff

Buggy/Hmw in enemy base is a bull on a loose, loaded with decent passenger, it can spell death to enemies. I blew PP in Walls by transitting a dangerous sniper (The~Destroyer) into enemy yard while I use the chaos to park on PP and blew it. No one even bothered to check it

But on topic, yes. Self weapon firing would be awesome. imagine a thundering chinook with Mobiuses/Mendozas

• Totem Arts Staff
Imagine a thundering chinook with Mobiuses/Mendozas

Let's rain death, sounds good :)

Lol yes. This actually reminds me of...

1628-what-to-do-when-youre-bored-of-red-alert-2-skirmish

'BRING THEM TO THEIR KNEES!'

Technical wise, it's going to be quite a work on Dev side though. Each vehicle seat is set to a certain weapon. One will need to script a weapon that detects the pawn's own weapon or make weapons for each pawn's weapons..... or some other tricks that escapes me

• Totem Arts Staff
Imagine a thundering chinook with Mobiuses/Mendozas

Let's rain death, sounds good :)

Lol yes. This actually reminds me of...

1628-what-to-do-when-youre-bored-of-red-alert-2-skirmish

'BRING THEM TO THEIR KNEES!'

Technical wise, it's going to be quite a work on Dev side though. Each vehicle seat is set to a certain weapon. One will need to script a weapon that detects the pawn's own weapon or make weapons for each pawn's weapons..... or some other tricks that escapes me

This isn't difficult at all...hell, I already did it by accident once in the commander mod.