Move Game above SDK Download

DoctorB0NG

We tried to move it abovee the SDK but that turned out to be not as easy as it sounds as the script we have for making this listings doesent allow us to just change the order. Some PHP magic would probably need to be done to change the order.

For now, could you change the names of the section and links? If so, just change them to be more informative.

Official Mod Tools (SDK)

SDK- Official Mirror 1

SDK- Torrent 1

SDK- Multiplayer Forums

Renegade X Game Launcher 4.02 (Client/Server)

Game- Official Mirror 1

Game- Torrent 1

Game- Multiplayer Forums

To fix it it would basically mean readding both sections and every mirror. Im guessing it could take like an hour of kinda tedious work. If someone would be up for that i could send you the info on how to do it.

To fix it it would basically mean readding both sections and every mirror. Im guessing it could take like an hour of kinda tedious work. If someone would be up for that i could send you the info on how to do it.

I didn't see this. And yeah, I totally would do that, that doesn't sound that bad. I edit FTL playthroughs that take longer.

• 2 weeks later...

They don't need literally a new dev to do this for them. Well, they DO could use more devs actually, they are ALWAYS looking for devs. But to inquire about that, check the "News" section stickys. They especially could likely use one that can do site maintenance and leaderboards.

What they need to do this isn't a dev. It's someone with time on their hands. Could be some bored player (with a forum history, so you can actually trust him with the site).

I in fact PM'd him just now to step forward to do this specific task of moving around download links. He essentially wants somebody, to go to the page, copy the links and section information to notepad, then re-enter then in the correct order. It was shortsighted overlook to enter Beta4 download section and links, and then afterwards do SDK download section and links. Didn't forsee that putting SDK at top of page, it's an easy oversight and just takes time to fix.

I gave Bro the link to the mirrors managing page now so hes going to take charge now. This is what it looks like: http://postimg.org/image/x135fs8xf/

You can add new sections on top there but you cant make a new section go under an existing section wich is why the SDK one ended on top as it was added last. So the job is to readd the SDK section and the B4 section again but this time adding the SDK section first. Then the downloadnumbers etc need to be copied into the fields for that in the new sections.

I don't know if the RX server has any of these features.

Trying to find someone to work on that for a while. Barely anyone wants to take any responsibility though. Especially on a free project. The vast majority of projects like this just fail for this reason pretty early on. Im surprised we made it this far atleast.

Given it only takes an hour and hasn't been done in a couple weeks there obviously isn't time/interest to do it manually (or even provide someone with access to do it?) and when a new link like GitHub needs to be added that will be on the top and it will have to be done again. Given the lean ship and likely couple hours of week the current devs have to contribute, a solution would be better than a patch in my view, so that is what I offered. I'm a game programmer and web services is just another tool for me.

If you are in fact seriously interested, you convinced me and have my approval and respect.

I am in fact going to add a SDK section, then a Open Beta 4 section, using same fields as the original ones had, and hide the old ones, and/or Rypel can delete the old sections.

But they could in fact use someone if you want to look it up in the announcements section. I remember reading they are always looking for devs, and maintaining a website would be appreciated, especially if you are also in fact capable of actual game development on top of webpage maintenance.

EDIT: Oh, I am a dummy, I should just leave the SDK section alone and just add the 1 section for B4 downloads. I don't need to fiddle with both. That was stupid of me, good thing I caught it before I did...

According to you latest PM you still have issues with authorization Bro ? Ive sent you the php file LifeSupport. Maybe you can find out where there are still authorization checks in it although i thought i removed all of those.

According to you latest PM you still have issues with authorization Bro ? Ive sent you the php file LifeSupport. Maybe you can find out where there are still authorization checks in it although i thought i removed all of those.

I will show in this video (url blocked by my webcam) what exactly the site is doing to me when I make the attempt. Really, it is as simple as I mentioned: Any attempt to submit/delete/hide/show-public any of the fields or sections, instead takes me to the RenX Homepage upon click. None of the changes take effect. This would have taken me 20 minutes tops, less than 2 minutes per row honestly.

I don't feel like the most "useful little train engine" at the moment, but I appreciate the effort being put into this and any help on the situation. Many thanks guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pDc6aZzyE

RypeL, think you should also give Lifeforce a link to the leaderboards database, in case he also has an opinion on that? Goku may make the effort to make a leaderboard and may make one for EKT's site if he can, but Lifeforce might be able to do it faster and do it with the already existing webpage. He seems to be experienced as a webmaster for websites and webpages.

I just copy pasted. It is done. Check it out everyone! Whoop!

http://renegade-x.com/download.php

Note: Hey, Lifeforce, RypeL, Forum People, did you know, the "Download Link" fields automatically turn the URL into a link, so I don't need to add to them? How about that! Yeah, how about that.... on a related note, the first attempt, thank god I tested the links, were ALL broken. Reverted that shit FTL.

NOTE: The download numbers didn't update immediately. ...Are they supposed to? :eek:

• 6 months later...
I did, for the ones that are usually least likely to give broken downloads

And what tests did you do to come to that conclusion ? From my experience the 'official' mirrors always were the most broken ones from EU atleast. When i browsed CT today i saw this comment from b0ng "As a few of you know, the download links on the official Ren X site are pretty messed up and have been for a while. If you're looking for a reliable download, here's the place to get it." And then "Being in Europe, you're best off downloading it from the Area of Gaming mirror from the Ren-X site. " wich is true to my experience aswell. And the general consensus was that the torrent should be the most reliable of all, but you didnt even label that as 'recommended' so i wonder why ? Also how did you come to the conclusion that for instance the Area of Gaming mirror is less reliable then the official ones ? And you have to remember that the official ones always worked better from NA but always had problems from EU. It might be a bit better now with official EU servers in the mix, but still the comments from CT are recent and the torrent and Area of Gaming mirrors should be as reliable so they then should be labled as recommended aswell.

To my understanding the best mirrors will automatically get the most downloads so the thing will sort itself out on its own. The 'recommended mirrror' tag was initially just added to advertise the 'official' servers for whatever reason. It never made sense and there never were field tests to back that up and i believe that again there wont be sufficient field tests to back the current list up. We do not need to advertise servers just cause they have 'renegade-x.com' in them. And since the best servers should get the best word of mouth and so the most downloads the 'recommended' tag will never make any sense and only discriminates other servers for no reason.

• Totem Arts Staff

I'll.concede but I'm not changing it...honestly not that big a deal. ALL of the links break for certain individuals. Could be the file itself. The ones that broke for me.are the ones I didn't tag as recommended. The torrent is marked recommended for obvious reasons though

I was just thinking it's either the global internet falling in on itself, or that Ren-X just uses some of the most "economical" servers.

Either way, me and someone who randomly asked for my help, has found that CT breaks at least the SDK download link. The official denver link for both of us was much better.

Not sure if we are "normal" or if Europe would get a different response, but I find it to be the individual's responsibility to select the best mirror. The random guy who asked me, was from Arizona. Denver Official should have been sensible for him, despite CT having a larger download number. I am out of Houston, so idk, it was my second choice, but I kinda figured it was something abnormal.

If anything, it just gives me less hope that some users will know how to make the internet function for them, whether in the absence or presence of the Recommended section. It isn't going to be right for everyone, but neither is people's common judgement. Both probably will be wrong 98% of the time. Either case, if all else fails, try the Denver Official? Unless that is the one giving you problem, in which case try the most local to you, or the torrent.

Did that torrent link ever get added to the SDK? I distinctly remember it not being added...

http://constructivetyranny.com/renx/Rx_ ... ip.torrent