Name locking

Truxa

Hi there,

Today on the TmX server I saw a glitchabuser. His name was M2Fasts. Now, before flaming me for ratting or him or anyone else for doing it, the next game (Lakeside) there was a "Player22222" (5-digit player number) who claimed that M2Fasts was HIS nickname for the passed 6 months.

So, now we have a new way of shaming someone innocent into being a cheater/glitch abuser by using their nickname. All because we cannot register our nicknames and it's far too easy to change the name in-game.

Just press F5 and type Setname (nickname) and voila you got a new name. Nice to cheaters/glitchers doing something "naughty" and changing the name as fast as it's reported.

So, we need something to register our nicknames and keep them personal to a single player (and wipe the leaderboard aswell :P Sorry Yosh)

I understand this might be an option when you get the green light for Steam, but untill then, we need a solution. This way, a nickname is registered to an email and when you ban the nick, you ban the email ... making it harder for cheaters.

We protect a few nicknames on my server but i think the point he is making is when someone joins trolling they normally do setname "Fred " with a space after it while there is another user ingame called Fred then causes trouble etc n tries to get the person they are copying to get kicked.

Ideally the game should give some sort of unique ID when it joins, yes i know it can be hacked spoofed or what not but would make it much harder for trolls who for the most part seem like 1995 script kiddies with a dynamic ip.

i think the point he is making is when someone joins trolling they normally do setname "Fred " with a space after it while there is another user ingame called Fred then causes trouble etc n tries to get the person they are copying to get kicked.

No, in this case, the imposter supposedly was already playing while the "real deal" tried to log in with his username he usually used.

I discussed this issue in a small bit in IRC last night, with AngryDave. He saw the chat on the TmX server and also noticed some TmX mods ingame, but the issue (abusing glitches) wasnt dealt with right there and then, instead, I was pointed to the rules of the server about not writing such accusations in general chat but keep them private.

Yes, for Nero and the other mod, I was playing under another name noticing these facts. As I was playing with a "new" name, you could presume I was a "newb" who knew nothing about the game.

This is a direct example of people able to pretend to be someone else than they realy are. And glitchers like M2Fasts and HollyDolly break the game for people like me. They force me into going incognito and nameshame them publicly, because what else can "we" do if the mods don't deal with them?

Please note, in case of M2Fasts it remains to be seen if he was the original one, I do however, recall an event from a couple days ago where he abused glitches on other maps. So, it's either a ruse to disctract the community from him cheating and cleaning his name or he wasnt abusing.

What I HAVE done is, issued a recorddemo of the mentioned Islands game where both players at that moment (M2Fasts and HollyDolly) were sniping from illegal glitched locations into Nod base.

Like I said on IRC, it's a good thing I'm no mod because I would IP ban every glitch abuser I see abusing glitches more than once. It's a harsh method, but every player KNOWS EXACTLY HOW A GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED AND WHAT IS A GLITCH AND WHAT IS NOT! Therefor, it's inexcusable to be "oblivious" of something being a glitch. And yes, I'm also talking about vehicle surfing NOT being an "advanced tactic" but being an abuse of a glitch. (Hotty on orca e.g.)