Flamethrowers..

Wrench

• Totem Arts Staff

Because that wasn't an engineer's job to take out tanks. They're supposedly the support units, not the offense

IMO, flame is more effective against tanks than Grenadier. Well suited for Nod due to GDI's heavier tanks. A Nod Flame thrower can take out more than half of Mammy's health with all their ammo, probably destroying it without refill. Backed up with timed c4, that is much more likely. Grenadier will take much longer to destroy light tank, and they cannot go close range without damaging themselves. This is not so good for anti-infantry whereas flame only worries about the front and back of the tank once they managed to come into range

I take flames over engie when Nod is pushed to defense. Took 10 percent of mammy's life within about 5 seconds and 20 ammo. Engies would need refilling before they can destroy the tank

• Totem Arts Staff

hmm, I dunno. According to my research, it's true (but both won't be able to kill the Mammy anyway. Engie is instant down to 30, Flame is slow down to 10). We'll talk about unattended tanks tho. Flamers might be able to destroy several hmws if he's agile enough.

Are you engaging them (infantries) as flamers in wide space btw? If so, I think that ain't the way

Edit : Actually... scratch that. Either Grenadier is OP or Flamer is UP. I just tested Mammy damage against Grenadier. Turns out the grenadier have enough strength to kill it without refill

• Totem Arts Staff
Because that wasn't an engineer's job to take out tanks. They're supposedly the support units, not the offense

Keyword there is 'supposedly'. Engineers are indeed a lot better at killing tanks defensively than the Grenadier and Flamethrower.

I take flames over engie when Nod is pushed to defense. Took 10 percent of mammy's life within about 5 seconds and 20 ammo. Engies would need refilling before they can destroy the tank

...Full suicide run with an engineer is 800 damage 2 remotes, 1 timed. It takes about 5 seconds to run up to this Mammoth and get the first 400 damage off. Then you throw the timed and die. If they're basically in your base, you can sprint back up to this same tank and do another 400 damage with remotes and your timed will do enough to kill it. This entire process literally takes about 30-40 seconds, and death doesn't really hinder it. Sorry but Engineers are way better at defence against armour than Flamethrowers. That's even more so now that we have sprinting.

On topic: Flamethrower could use a small buff, but it's not supposed to replace shotguns for close range. Should at least give it a small buff to armour to make it justifiably weak to infantry.

• Totem Arts Staff

Now that I think about it.... yeah, so I guess Flame is more towards the offensive front line (if not, then I have no idea)

GL's damage is OP now tho. with timed C4 and grenade launcher, he can literally destroy an unmanned Mammoth Tank in a single life without refill whereas Flame and Engie need to die or refill for the same case

• Totem Arts Staff
Now that I think about it.... yeah, so I guess Flame is more towards the offensive front line (if not, then I have no idea)

GL's damage is OP now tho. with timed C4 and grenade launcher, he can literally destroy an unmanned Mammoth Tank in a single life without refill whereas Flame and Engie need to die or refill for the same case

That doesn't make him OP at all. He has a slower firing weapon with a decently long reload time. 25 damage per shot is honestly not that much when he's bound to be killed before he makes it through the clip.

• 2 weeks later...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck flame tanks. They are so unbalanced.

Hotwire + Mammoth VS 1 flamer. The mammoth loses in 3-5 seconds, with full heals from a hot wire. this is so OP. fix now.

We had 3 medium tanks, trying to hit 2 flamers running at us. we got 1 down to half health, and we couldn't run away fast enough(trapped), once that half health flamer caught us, he got 2 of the meds and then he died, while the other flamer cleaned up. fuck that, horrible balance. 3 meds should be able to take out a flamer before he reaches us. because obviously we insta explode once he does reach us(we shouldn't insta explode to flamers).

med VS flamer... the med should not have to sprint backwards all the way back to base, all the while hitting the flamer to win 1v1. seriously, was the idea that if a flamer ever catches a vehicle in close range that the other vehicle loses instantly?! no tank should die to a single tank in less than 10 seconds, this was not how Ren was. 1v1 tank fights always lasted 30+ seconds...it's true that a flamer should win if the med is in close range. but the flamer should be low at the end of the fight. and flamer vs mamy,,,,i think the mamy should win, but be low.

lols unbalanced? Your statements were contradicting to each other in a sense that, you stated that if a med was caught in close range by a flamer it dies instantly which is actually true, but you also said that if a med was caught by a flamer at close range it should not die easily but instead, the med will kill the flamer. Is it me or I poorly understood what he stated or I am totally right?

Also meds don't die easily, if you're at range you can easily kill the flamer without even having to get damaged yourself, but if you're fighting on urban then the flamer can just go in for a kill.

• Totem Arts Staff

Just to poke at this, if 3 Meds lost to a Flamer at ANY range, you've got worse issues than the Flametank's balance.

Also, Mammoth+Hoty beats a Flametank unless the Mammoth is also taking damage from other sources.

Now not that I want to promote exploiting physics in RenX or anything, but Meds have like a 50+% chance of just running right up to Flametanks, ramming them, and putting them at too awkward of an angle to actually hit the Med.

If this was Islands, well then that's literally just Flametank territory. Tight spaces and corners just kind of cater to them, but backing away from them still isn't that much of an issue.

While I do agree that flame troops maybe could use a slight damage buff, i envision flametroops/grenadier as medium range all rounders with better damage against light vehicles, flames with DPS, grenadier with burst damage. And as far as grenadier being OP, in what world would any remotely intelligent vehicle player let a single grenadier expend his entire ammo supply and a timed c4 on them?

It has gotten better since flamers were given volume-damage (all the projectiles of the flame can reach the center and all hit a character at once, instead of just some).

It could use a damage increase, like literally 1 or 2 points per shot. But, it already has great range, great damage on infantry, effective damage on heavyarmor.

Also, it is good in group fights. It causes confusion in any more than 1v1s, and can damage a lot of people at once. Cover helps with all of this ofc, can't fire from open. Tunnels have walls to hide behind and the flame has long range, so just use the edge to spray them from a good 25 meters.