Level Editor?

Ninja955

• Totem Arts Staff

I've asked that question. The dev said at some point the source would be shared, but due to UDK limitations (which can only be unlocked by buying UE license), we would never be able to create a level and insert it in the game without recooking and repackaging the game, which in turn would make the game incompatible with the official beta

Last time we tried that i think it seemed to work fine at first but the PT wouldnt work, and harv wouldnt spawn etc. So the code side of it wouldnt work. It couldnt connect to the other cooked code (the cooked map has some code in it cause it has the buildings in it wich are linked to code). But we will keep trying doing something like that. There is an option for the cooker to cook something as "DLC" and we think that that is what we would have to use, but this option is disabled in UDK and only available in full UE3.

If all else fails and if besides all efforts we cant make custom maps work with cooked content, we could still go uncooked though. The primary role of cooking is to reduze filesize and to increase loading speeds, especially needed when loading the game from disk on a console. So if we go uncooked it should automatically fix all of our custom map problems but it would a) increase loading times (about doubling them i would say) and b) would increase the filesize of the game (im not sure how much atm, but i think quite a bit). But once we have a patcher filesize/downloadsize might not matter that much anymore and people might be ok with a bit longer loading screens.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think the latest UDKs weigh 10 Gigabytes plus, so I'm not sure if that's wise enough.

I'm talking about download speed (my highest speed to DL RenX was about 200s) But it is solvable by just uploading the source assets and have players download the corresponding UDK in Unreal Engine site