Renegade-X Launcher Beta Release

JeepRubi

While Beta 3 isn't out yet, you can now get a taste of whats to come, and join Beta 2 servers in style! You can grab an early beta version of the new Renegade-X Launcher that will be included in Beta 3 and make use of it right now in Beta 2!

Download it here: http://renegade-x.com/downloads/RxLauncher_v0.26.zip

LauncherPreview.png

Installation:

Copy the "Launcher" folder into your Renegade-X installation directory.

Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Launcher\Renegade X Launcher.exe"

The launcher MUST be installed here to find the game's executable properly!

Then Make a shortcut to "Renegade X Launcher.exe", and run. That's it!

Please leave all your feedback for the launcher in this thread, I'll be checking it regularly!

The new launcher looks good but will it be possible to host the server list somewhere other than google appspot?

The reason i ask is because for countries in the US sanction list, mine included, google just shows this error instead of returning the server list:

appspot403.jpg

And the launcher crashes for me right after showing the username window as a result.

Also the server list in the game itself is always empty for me and i have to type the ip address manually to join a server...

Hi! I love this!

Downloaded and installed as explained, but I noticed 1 thing: The serverlist does not portray the actual player count correctly.

It's been a few times I've noticed this, TmX server showed 10 players and only 6 were on it AFTER I joined. Same with EKT server, 10 displayed, 8 actually on it me included.

Something up with the communication between server and serverlist? When the servers are full, joining is not possible so shouldnt think it

• 2 weeks later...

You guys killed the old launcher? In all honesty I preferred the old one lol

The new one sure looks nice but it takes a while to load, why can't you double click a server to join or right click and join as before? Why is it does it require dependencies that the game itself does not? (Dot net)

I programmed the old launcher in java. People in the team told me that that was unacceptable cause it is not the native windows language and cause it didnt look good enough or something. Thats why the old launcher was abandoned.

Yes, well, congratulations for yet another completely illogical move of dropping support for a browser people still used, forcing people to wander randomly into a random forum in random sections to figure out they need to update their launchers.

Sigh...

Yes, well, congratulations for yet another completely illogical move of dropping support for a browser people still used, forcing people to wander randomly into a random forum in random sections to figure out they need to update their launchers.

Sigh...

IIRC, both launchers work. Except, when you download beta3, you will download the new launcher. If you keep beta 2, beta 2 won't be supported on browser list possibly.

If you download beta 3, then replace the launcher folder with beta 2's, it should technically work. Therefore, the launcher itself technically still works.

The devil in the situation is unavoidable, and that is a manual patch. People who are lazy, will not manually patch when the game randomly stops working. It is simple as hell. It is just a necesary evil, the game has patches and you have to download each one like a brand new game each time, until an auto updater is implemented.

Too bad Playfab wouldn't lend a launcher backend to RenX TotemArts. Uber Entertainment developed a backend during MNC Classic to file-check, patch, and load games, and then made it a platform that any game can use. You have seen it if you ever loaded MNC, SMNC, Loadout, or Toy Rush.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/cros ... ost-926777

http://playfab.com/

EDIT: Technically, I just read as I haven't followed playfab since it's independence, but it technically will run free for sizes of 1000 DAU (Daily Active Users). Anything over that is like .0025 per DAU. They also claim to be willing to haggle on startup deals for people around 1k DAU so who knows. The only problem really, is that it limits the game, as a non-profit game wouldn't be able to use this once it got a larger than 1k DAU playerbase...

EDIT EDIT: Technically, both these launchers, the old and new, remind me a lot of the playfab one formerly known as ubernet, especially back in the day (RenX has a server listing in-game so it's redundant). So really, if someone in Totem Arts figured out how to check file similarities and differences, and patch files from the download sources, some old school AOL shtuff really, then Totem Arts could eventually do this themselves. I personally don't mind downloading a new game every patch...

This launcher was developed using WPF (windows presentations foundation). It's still under development, and I'm working on fixing some of the usability issues. It's still a beta, so expect improvement!

There's nothing stopping anyone from continuing to use the old launcher, BroTranquilty is correct in saying you can save your launcher from beta 2 and put it in beta 3 when it comes out, and everything should work.

*Yeah, this is what I'm getting with the old launcher:

viewtopic.php?f=119&p=140093#p140093

*The in-game server listing doesn't work either.

*I tried to make your new launcher work through wine, but it requires a new .NET 4.5 and Mono, and trying to install those through Wine breaks the game install (everything stops working). Why exactly can't the new launcher use the already required dependencies (dlls, etc.) instead of adding all new ones?

*Either way, at least us Wine/Wineskin users are gonna need to find our own solutions. Mainly, to at least see the servers and number of players so we can copy and paste server IP and join a server quick. Here's our options:

- Convince RenX devs to use a php-based server listing. Free Open-source php listing software for many existing games here (try the stand-alone): http://www.greycube.com/site/download.php?list.10

- Convince http://www.gametracker.com/ to add the measly number of Renegade X servers to their listing.

- Ask RenX devs to provide the master-server info for making our own launcher, as well as the console-only start-up commands for RenX (using the launcher to directly join a server IP, starting the game menu).

ex. (starting a server): UDK.exe server CNC-Field?AdminPassword=password123?maxplayers=40 -port=7777

Where are the rest of the commands? No, http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TechnicalHome.html does not really list the specific ones for RenX.

Any help from anyone is much appreciated regarding any of these.

- Ask RenX devs to provide the master-server info for making our own launcher, as well as the console-only start-up commands for RenX (using the launcher to directly join a server IP, starting the game menu).

ex. (starting a server): UDK.exe server CNC-Field?AdminPassword=password123?maxplayers=40 -port=7777

Where are the rest of the commands? No, http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TechnicalHome.html does not really list the specific ones for RenX..

We did provide info on how to make your own launchers (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=72857&p=124535&hilit=json#p124535) and someone already did: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72947&hilit=launcher

About the old launcher: since when does it not work for you ?

Since Sunday, August 3. I'm not exactly sure why it's actually showing errors for it, even after a full reinstall.

EDIT: Yeah, that info provided seems restricted ->

"Information

You are not authorised to read this forum."

And as for that alternative launcher, it still requires .NET 4.5, but I do think the code could provide useful info.

EDIT: Yeah, that info provided seems restricted ->

"Information

You are not authorised to read this forum."

Ah yeah, its in the "server owners" section. You have to be registered as "server owner" to read that. Thats obviously stupid and ive mentioned that to the guys before but wasent changed so far.

Ah, I see. Well anyway, this is what I got from the open-source launcher:

http://renegadexgs.appspot.com/browser_2.jsp?view=false

I'm guessing that's all there is? I just have to parse that and make it look nice (the launcher files really help). Not a problem.

I still need the start-up commands though, as just UDK.exe doesn't load all the configs, profiles, etc. and won't directly connect to a server. I can't seem to find any commands in that launcher. It'll take me a while to arrange something like a launcher. If you, or someone else finds the time, I could use some commands info sometime, anytime, please. Not everything, just enough to connect + config and profile loading properly.

Thanks for the help so far!

Where are the rest of the commands? No, http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TechnicalHome.html does not really list the specific ones for RenX..

We did provide info on how to make your own launchers (http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic. ... on#p124535) and someone already did: http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic. ... t=launcher

About the old launcher: since when does it not work for you ?

Also, you can't see a server list in-game on ren-x? You might just have to launch ren-x's udk launcher or whatever, and from actually ingame go multiplayer.

Ah, I see. Well anyway, this is what I got from the open-source launcher:

http://renegadexgs.appspot.com/browser_2.jsp?view=false

I'm guessing that's all there is? I just have to parse that and make it look nice (the launcher files really help). Not a problem.

It's better to use "http://renegadexgs.appspot.com/servers.jsp" instead. it's in json and is easier to parse and is what the new launcher uses :)

Though they need to host the server list somewhere else because google's appspot returns 403 errors for some countries instead of the list...

Also, you can't see a server list in-game on ren-x? You might just have to launch ren-x's udk launcher or whatever, and from actually ingame go multiplayer.

Yeah, the server list doesn't show up even on the in-game server list (Multiplayer). Is there a 3rd option (1st=Java Launcher ; 2nd=In-game Multiplayer Listing ; 3rd=?), or is the Multiplayer list what you mean?

EDIT: Again, the error reports and logs are here for the Java launcher, if you have any specific understanding of the code, and it happens even after a fresh install:

http://pastebin.com/2R6XtYzG

http://pastebin.com/xET6KLKu

http://pastebin.com/nbAM5r3P

I still need the start-up commands though, as just UDK.exe doesn't load all the configs, profiles, etc. and won't directly connect to a server.

UDK.exe should open Ren-X with the configs etc. If it doesent you might not have Ren-X installed correctly wich might also be the reason why your launcher doesent work. Its maybe cause you use wine and it just doesent work that easily with it it seems.

To connect directly to a server you normally can just use

"udk 127.0.0.1" with the UDK.exe from within RenX\Binaries\Win32

Your logs doesent really tell me much other than that it crashes pretty deep down in the Java kernel wich also leads me to belive that its cause of wine.

Ok so i noticed the old launcher doesent work for me anymore either :D ... the reason is that there are new servers that have an '@' in their name. So if you want to know how to crash the launcher: Make a server with '@' in the name :)

I can fix this on friday. A launcher update wont be necessary. This can be fixed serverside (on the google server).

However the ingame list didnt seem to be affected by that for me and still seems to work. The new launcher also shouldnt be affected by this type of problem.

Yeah, then I'll have to fidget with the RenX/UDK configs and install again. I somehow only got it right the first time, but I documented most of it, so I may be able to get it back that way. Although sometimes it works with the configs right ... hmmm weird.

But it's good that the old launcher can be fixed. For the in-game launcher, I'm not really sure it ever worked for me (I can't remember anymore), but I'll keep trying.

Oh, and thanks for the connection command, works great! (One thing I keep wishing for is accessing the menu and settings from in-game during play, though, even if I have to reload all game resources to do so.)

Ok so i noticed the old launcher doesent work for me anymore either :D ... the reason is that there are new servers that have an '@' in their name. So if you want to know how to crash the launcher: Make a server with '@' in the name :)

I can fix this on friday. A launcher update wont be necessary. This can be fixed serverside (on the google server).

However the ingame list didnt seem to be affected by that for me and still seems to work. The new launcher also shouldnt be affected by this type of problem.

That is in fact wierd. What odd behavior you have to troubleshoot for. @ signs crashing server listings of all things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EDIT: Technically, I just read as I haven't followed playfab since it's independence, but it technically will run free for sizes of 1000 DAU (Daily Active Users). Anything over that is like .0025 per DAU. They also claim to be willing to haggle on startup deals for people around 1k DAU so who knows. The only problem really, is that it limits the game, as a non-profit game wouldn't be able to use this once it got a larger than 1k DAU playerbase...

EDIT EDIT: Technically, both these launchers, the old and new, remind me a lot of the playfab one formerly known as ubernet, especially back in the day (RenX has a server listing in-game so it's redundant). So really, if someone in Totem Arts figured out how to check file similarities and differences, and patch files from the download sources, some old school AOL shtuff really, then Totem Arts could eventually do this themselves. I personally don't mind downloading a new game every patch...

• 3 weeks later...

Is source code of the newest launcher version public?

I would like to make some small modification:

- Autoupdate serverlist every 10 seconds (limit max 2 mins to reduce traffic)

- Autorefresh and wait for free slot to join (limit max 2 mins to reduce traffic)

- Join random server which has more than X players. (if we get more than 2 servers with players ^^)

- Join server with doubleclick

- Rejoin last server button

- Saving size and window location

- Filter "Show marathon servers"

- Filter "mine limit x"

- Filter max ping

and maybe some more small things....