Everything is high end graphics nowadays

Starfirahs

I played all the C&C RTS games, along with C&C Renegade (from birth to official death [yes I know it can still be found on various private servers through Tunngle & other means]); I've always enjoyed these games and the fact that it always ran so smoothly.

As we grew in technology, the young generations seem to think that shinier and brighter graphics will make your game successful. In truth, a game that runs well is a success. I love the fact that a group of people were able to come together and re-create very loved and missed game. If only I could play it...

I know I don't have the best computer around, and I'm not going to waste my time with statistics here. If you guys really want this game to be as big a success as you say you strive for, then you should seriously consider toning down the graphical aspects. No one needs to see dust clouds continually, bushes do not need to sway in the wind (don't even get me started on the water). I understand having a nice clean outlook for a game; just know that the further you boost your graphics the less player base you're going to get in the long run.

Considering the whole point of RenegadeX was to bring the visuals of Renegade into the modern era with only a small number of gameplay tweaks, I'm not sure what leg you have to stand on in your argument. I only get "Game is bad 'cause my computer is bad'.

after all .. UT3 is pretty old already ...

sure it got updated and developed over the years but a older computer should be able to run it aswell ...

and you have a load of grafik options you can change ...

if your computer is not older than 8 or 10 years and meant for gaming you should have no problem ... and if it is, you might try to save for a new one ... sorry

These youngins and their shenanigans, back in our days we were happy if we could turn on 16 bit texture rendering in 800x600 resolution.

"Considering the whole point of RenegadeX was to bring the visuals of Renegade into the modern era with only a small number of gameplay tweaks"

This. Renegade wasnt the best looking game in 2002, and just feels old now. RenX on the other hand looks and plays better i feel. Also if you turn everything off in the graphics options menu, even an Athlon 64 processor with a Geforce 6 video card can handle it. Thats like 10 years old tech, good luck playing any AAA game released today on that.

Lol, don't get me started on 'oldschool' gaming... But yeah, the point of a remake is to improve the old game on multiple aspects, with graphics being a big one. Give 'mainstream gamers' a game as Another World, they simply don't even give it a chance because of the immense difficulty and outdated graphics. If you do make them play it for a while, they get blown away by the amazing gameplay and storyline.

It's like teachers teaching multiple languages at your local high school. They are the best of the best, but a dying breed. It's kind of sad to watch, but you can't do much about it...

As we grew in technology, the young generations seem to think that shinier and brighter graphics will make your game successful. In truth, a game that runs well is a success... If only I could play it...

I know I don't have the best computer around, and I'm not going to waste my time with statistics here... just know that the further you boost your graphics the less player base you're going to get in the long run.

So you came here to preach the same tired cliché I hear all the time on the nets: "Graphics bad! Gameplay good!" Without actually supporting your argument at all. Of course, the real reason you wrote this post is highlighted in the snippets I made of your original post. You've got a dinosaur computer that probably can't run Renegade well, and that was from 2002. It's 2014, man. Get with the times. Next-gen development isn't being made for old machines.

i tend to use my computers for at least two years, most for like 4 years ... and i always can play all games

at the end of the 4 years i sure have to lower settings on latest games but they still are playable and enjoyable

so your computer must be either really old (probably around 2006)

or your computer is only an older one that needs serious maintenance (clean the system, clean the fans, maybe clean OS installation, new drivers etc.)

And yes, you are right ... fun does not come from eye candy, sure! ... but it also not entirely depends on how smooth a game runs ...

For me it is like that:

50% Gameplay

20% Engine/Netcode optimizing

15% Graphics

15% Support

those are just my subjective values!

but you also have to accept that time moves on, so does the progress in computer engineering

why not use that progress? ... if you like computer games you have to invest in your hardware

every once in a while ... if i know i have to buy new hardware i save a couple of month for that ...

it is not that you need thousands of Euros/Dollars every year ... PC gaming is a very affordable

hobby if you not need state of the art hardware every 3 or 6 month, and for enjoyable gaming you dont need

state of the art hardware

The game is advanced in more departments than just graphics. Even if you had a better graphics card, if your computer is as old as you make it out to be then it's processor and RAM probably wouldn't be able to cut it either.

I play the game on max settings and it runs just as smooth as the original Renegade did... and I don't even have a super high-end computer.

You need to put in the leg work if you want to meet the requirements to play the game. The game already can scale pretty low graphics wise, so if you still can't meet the requirements, I highly recommend upgrading your system. Not just to play this game, but just to do more things in general. How you're able to get by doing things on a decade old computer is a mystery to me. But you don't even need to buy a super expensive upgrade to get this game to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I play the game on max settings and it runs just as smooth as the original Renegade did... and I don't even have a super high-end computer.

I don't remember all the crashes... But he does have a point, maybe the game would be more playable if more attention was directed toward game breaking crashes and just saving the polish for later.

I don't remember all the crashes... But he does have a point, maybe the game would be more playable if more attention was directed toward game breaking crashes and just saving the polish for later.

All of their attention right now is on fixing crashes. There is no polish being done besides optimization tweaks. Polishing stuff is something you do in the late stages of development... so if you think the game is over polished now... then you're not going to be happy when they really start getting things polished.

You can build a PC that can run this game at 60fps for less than 200 dollars. infact 100$ AMD APUs can run it easily.

Haha let's be realistic here, an AMD APU is gonna run this like shit. You could get a solid Intel chip and a low end NVIDIA or AMD discrete card for $300. Throw a mobo, psu, case and drive in and it'd be about $550.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can build a PC that can run this game at 60fps for less than 200 dollars. infact 100$ AMD APUs can run it easily.

Haha let's be realistic here, an AMD APU is gonna run this like shit. You could get a solid Intel chip and a low end NVIDIA or AMD discrete card for $300. Throw a mobo, psu, case and drive in and it'd be about $550.

i3 + GTX750ti? Sounds like a nice semi-budget combo. Leaves room to upgrade for i5/i7 and I can't remember if 750ti can SLI or not. This shit can run with a 400w PSU...

Like others have said, the graphics on Ren-X are good, but hardly groundbreaking compared to what is currently being released. Arma 3 is like playing watching a movie when your settings are maxed out. Any decent 5+ year old PC should be able to handle the UT3 engine which was released over 7 years ago.

Like others have said, the graphics on Ren-X are good, but hardly groundbreaking compared to what is currently being released. Arma 3 is like playing watching a movie when your settings are maxed out. Any decent 5+ year old PC should be able to handle the UT3 engine which was released over 7 years ago.

I agree. I was able to play UT3 perfectly fine. Supposely if you can play UT3, then you can play Ren-X. But holy shit Ren-X is way too high demanding.

As we grew in technology, the young generations seem to think that shinier and brighter graphics will make your game successful. In truth, a game that runs well is a success... If only I could play it...

I know I don't have the best computer around, and I'm not going to waste my time with statistics here... just know that the further you boost your graphics the less player base you're going to get in the long run.

So you came here to preach the same tired cliché I hear all the time on the nets: "Graphics bad! Gameplay good!" Without actually supporting your argument at all. Of course, the real reason you wrote this post is highlighted in the snippets I made of your original post. You've got a dinosaur computer that probably can't run Renegade well, and that was from 2002. It's 2014, man. Get with the times. Next-gen development isn't being made for old machines.

I have to play with the lowest graphics cause this game crashes (run out memory). Are you sirious about not to enable a option to use less resources?

I have to play with the lowest graphics cause this game crashes (run out memory). Are you sirious about not to enable a option to use less resources?

The game runs fine at 1080p on a GT 650M. Get a new computer if you can't run this game. It's 2014, work it out.

after all .. UT3 is pretty old already ...

sure it got updated and developed over the years but a older computer should be able to run it aswell ...

and you have a load of grafik options you can change ...

if your computer is not older than 8 or 10 years and meant for gaming you should have no problem ... and if it is, you might try to save for a new one ... sorry

My 200 dollar desktop could run this game. It runs it very well on low graphics, completely smooth, after adding 70 dollar GPU and 70 dollar RAM.

That is 1g gpu, 8g ram, 2.8ghz cpu... That isn't asking a lot.

If your computer in fact can't run this, then it probably slightly lags on medium low settings for actual Renegade, which I encourage you try Renegade on the current serial ran server connect standard with the game ATM or even a outside app like Renlist, or even one of the C&C FPS total conversions of Renegade, like RenAlert or my mind slips but the tiberian sun based one.

If we made this game medium-low Renegade, wouldn't that stand the problem of... wouldn't we have just basically made Renegade by making this into Renegade? I don't mean to sound coy... but literally. It is like inventing the wheel, making it into a gear, realizing the notches make it difficult to roll a gear so you get rid of them to make a revolutionary new invention... no wait, that is literally reinventing the wheel...

• Totem Arts Staff

If you can barely run the game then you should try again after next patch, we've done a lot of optimisation on all maps and across the board really, curious to see it makes a big difference for some people.