Higher Resolutions Dramatically Lowering FPS

Blastburn94

I decided to install this game onto my laptop because the minimum system requirements were low enough, but it seems that the actual performance needed to run the game is much higher than even the stated recommended. I set every setting to the absolute lowest in-game, along with disabling V-Sync, and my FPS at the main menu averages at 36 - with a 720x480 resolution (the minimum I can choose). Keep in mind that my laptop is plugged in and has absolutely nothing running in the background. My graphics card driver's settings are also set to their lowest in hopes to increase FPS. All of my drivers are up to date. When I change just my resolution to my native default of 1920x1200, my FPS averages at 9. I understand that this is a giant increase in resolution (roughly 6.67 times the amount of pixels), but I don't have any other game that drops it's FPS a whole 75%.

Just for reference, the game's minimum specifications are:

Fobby[GEN]":29jvy5jd]Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista

2.0+ GHz processor

2 GB system RAM

SM3-compatible video card

4 GB free hard drive space

The game's recommended system specifications are:

Fobby[GEN]":29jvy5jd]Windows Vista 64 SP2

2.0+ GHz multi-core processor

4 GB system RAM

NVIDIA 200 series or higher graphics card

Plenty of HDD space

My system specifications are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz

RAM: 2x2 GB DDR2 333 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (256 MB VRAM, 475 MHz Core, 950 MHz Shader, 800 MHz Memory, 128-bit, SM4, DX10)

HDD: 120 GB, SATA I, 5400 RPM, 8 MB Cache (64 GB Free)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, 60 Hz, 32 bpp

Average Idle Usage: <1% CPU Usage, <10 KBps HDD Usage, <25% RAM Usage, <35 Processes Running

As you can see, I surpass all of the minimum system requirements, and all of the recommended requirements are met or surpassed, except for the graphics card. This is very confusing to me, given this data. If anyone could give me some assistance as to increasing my FPS or any other meaningful advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Totem Arts Staff

well by all accounts in any game if you up the res the FPS will go down as there are more pixels to render ether lower the res or lower your settings to the lowest setting

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT only just meets the minimum specs and dose not come close to the rec specs

Yeah OP's machine is kinda... uhh... old. But i've also found that the game performs much worse than the minimum/recc specs imply. You guys should consider bumping them up a little. I personally think minimum reqz mean, Native resolution, 30fps+ all times, all other settings to minimum supported by in game video controls. I'd have been really dissapointed if i met minimum reqz and couldn't manage solid 30 fps, way more than if i'd gone into it knowing "I'm below minimum specs"

With these minimum requirements I think he should be able to run the game at least on the lowest settings and 30+ FPS.

There is something wrong with the game, I can run Unreal Tournament 3 and other "modern" UE3 games like Arkham, Mass Effect, Bioshock series with higher details but in RenegadeX I get 5-10 FPS at the main menu and 20-25 in-game with lowest settings at 1366x768.

Also I noticed the game uses much GPU even on menu, 100% GPU usage everywhere, like there is a "GPU leak" or something.

And -don't take this the wrong way but- RenegadeX is not so good looking to be so demanding...

My laptop isn't so powerful but as I stated before it should run this without any issues:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.4 GHz

RAM: 2x2GB

VGA: Mobility Radeon 4670 1 GB GDDR3

• Totem Arts Staff

very odd

this is what i run

moo: os: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Service Pack 1

cpu: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor (x64) at 4000MHz - 4200MHz

gfx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 768MB

res: 1440x900

ram: 3421/16284.3MB (21.01%) [||--------] (16 GB @1866)

i can run the game on ultra @ 50 - 60 fps noprobs (wile recording i have very hight settings and turn the res down to 720p)

so its either you drivers / directx out of date, you have alot of crap running in the background or you have somthing very wrong with one of your parts

but its most proboly your pc dont like to run the game @ 1080p so lower your res and or settings

very odd

this is what i run

moo: os: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Service Pack 1

cpu: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor (x64) at 4000MHz - 4200MHz

gfx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 768MB

res: 1440x900

ram: 3421/16284.3MB (21.01%) [||--------] (16 GB @1866)

i can run the game on ultra @ 50 - 60 fps noprobs (wile recording i have very hight settings and turn the res down to 720p)

so its either you drivers / directx out of date, you have alot of crap running in the background or you have somthing very wrong with one of your parts

but its most proboly your pc dont like to run the game @ 1080p so lower your res and or settings

he only has 256MB of dedicated vram at 1600x900 the game will use 300 to 400MB at 1080 that goes up to 500 to 700mb the geforcem can allocate some system memory for vram use but thats really slow it accounts for the performance dip if he wants 1080p hes gonna need to lower his texture,mesh settings to low and turn off dynamic lights

im having the same problem,

fps around 15 withe evry thing on very low,

and if i get settings up to max, with 1080p resolution

frame rate goes down to 7fps.

i have a nvidia 670gtx

third gen i7

32 Gb of ram

120gb ssd

... the game should run better :(

I know you should be able to go into the Nividia control panel and force the game to run on your video card and get better fps. I think the game wants to use the gpu that is integrated with the processor over the video card.I had that issue and now I'm running the game on ultra with about 60 fps and I'm using a nividia gtx 680m. This may work for the others only way to know is for them to test it.