Game Design Podcast + First Footage of Multiplayer!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

ww5lq.png

We are a step closer to our multiplayer release!

Firstly, we would like to congratulate our community on three years of Renegade X. On September 30th 2009, Totem Arts released the very first iteration of Renegade X - and it was version 0.35. Since then, we released several other UT3 mod betas, a standalone singleplayer game (which can be downloaded HERE), and have made significant progress towards the full standalone version of Renegade X.

Renegade X is a standalone Tactical FPS game for the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). It is a Command & Conquer FPS game with RTS elements, based on the original C&C Renegade.

Today, we have released the first multiplayer development podcast. The video contains over 22 minutes of never-before-seen footage of Renegade X's multiplayer on the UDK. This is the first unveiling of the long-awaited multiplayer. Join us, Fobby and Havoc89, as we discuss:

• Black Dawn - Post Mortem
  • Command and Conquer mode
  • New maps and Tech Buildings
  • Aircraft
  • New Weapons
  • AI and multiplayer
  • Superweapons - including Airstrikes

View the full video here:

The team has made significant progress in the last few months - all weapons, vehicles, and structures are ingame, structures are destroyable and repairable, the purchase and credit system is working, stealth units functioning as they should, and several original maps are in development.

Remember, we are still looking for help. Please view our application poster HERE.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates to come.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CNCRenX?ref=ts&fref=ts

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RenXGame

YouTube (Official): http://www.youtube.com/user/NEfobbyGEN?feature=mhee

YouTube (Community): http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJamnub

IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/renegade-x

About the video:

I don't think the change on nukes/ion is positive....You are taking away 15seconds from the original time (if I recall correctly, the original has 60 seconds and here you leave 45sec?).

First of all, "you have to make a choice whether to save your char/tank or disarm nuke/ion"....As a renegade player, I can tell there are A LOT of noobs that rather save themselfs other than disarming the nuke (even tho they were able to defuse it within time...). If you are going for this change, I bet more people rather save their havoc than try to disarm it till the very last second. In many cases the nukes/ions getting defused at the last 3 seconds....

Second of all, I think the time of the nukes/ions should be based on the walk-speed/drive-speed of chars and vehicles. You have to consider the moment it gets deployed (deploy sound), the message "Nuke has been deployed", moment of actual searching/retreating to base, and the time that is needed to disarm it.

Also in my opinion, in renegade the ion/nuke time fits the situation. You have to realise that in renegade, you were able to access the PT outside of the building (even tho this wasn't ment to be, it sure has a HUGE impact on the disarming part).

For example. On complex, a nuke will be dropped behind the barracks by a stealth black hand. First you go 'kill' the stealth blackhand. I think chosing a character like havoc/mobius would be more useful to do this than using a hotwire....So you first walk behind the barracks, find&kill the sbh. Then, in the case of Renegade, you can just purchase a hotwire within 2 seconds behind the barracks. In the case of Renegade X, you have to walk all the way into the barracks, change character, then run back asap and by that time, the nuke may has done it's damage already...

Note that this is not a complaint, but more of a question/tip. I really want to make sure the times of nukes/ions fits perfect to the game, so it won't be an overpowered weapon, neither be it a useless one.

Also, the airstrike seems to be a good outcome to campers, it still needs boundaries but I'm sure you'll make it work. I'm looking forward to that!

• Former Developers

Nuke/Ion took 45 seconds in ren, and we are keeping the 45 seconds for you to disarm, but after the 45 seconds are up, there is a roughly 5 second time that you have to get the heck out of there because after the 5 seconds it will impact. So its not as "different" as you think it is, it is more or less the same, we only added 5 seconds at the end to make it look less ridiculous to disarm a nuke/ion when its right above your head.

It's been already three years since the initial release? Anyways congratulations and thank you for still being active on the Renegade X project. I really look forward to play the multiplayer release. :) The update is great although some things seem to be a bit weird to me. For example the side- and backways jump. I don't know how it fits to the gameplay but it looks kind of strange. ^^ One other gameplay change that I don't like is the ability to sprint. Please note that this is not a complain but for me it will take take some getting used to it. The first-person perspective for vehicles is cool, the changes on ion/nuke and the new airstrike ability seem to be sophisticated as well.

Thank you and keep it going. :)

Great to hear you're still making steady progress. I'm looking very much forward to the beta builds.

Many fan-made projects much like this one suffer a quiet death at some point. It's so awesome to see Renegade X still standing after three years, and it looks like the project is more alive than ever. UDK RenX has great potential to build a large player base; with UT3 RenX it was tough to attract players, but when this gets out of beta it will be tough to pay the server bills!

I always thought that the ion/nuke cannon took exactly 1 minute to go off...

@Woandre

If people are choosing to save their skin, so be it. But I think that this will actually have players stay longer to disarm then in the original renegade. When those ion beams are obscuring your sight and the thing is about to go off, that's a very clear warning to bail. If the timer reaches 0 and you still have time to run, people, especially noobs, will stick around too long, thinking they still HAVE the time to run.

This will add new getaway tactics, people stationing an occupied APC nearby to help people get away from the blast in time. It is an advantage that people can actually get away from a nuke/ion blast through those tactics. But as you stated, the lack of use of PT terminals through walls will counteract that, and you will be able to kill more people as they can't refill through walls either.

As for the A10 strike/combat cargoplane, I would stress the fact that being the engineer to tanks has always been one of the worst tasks, with lots of danger and little payback in both points and variation of actions. Adding something that damages in a large area to stop camping is good on paper, but if you instantly kill/heavily damage all repair guys with it, there will be little incentive at all remaining to do it, and people will be left repairing their tanks themselves.

I would suggest that both airstrikes will fire explosive shells/rockets vs all tanks in the area. This leaves the engineer crew alive, although they could get damaged by the blast radius if they stick too close to the tanks. But they won't be damaged by a standard AOE whenever an airstrike is launched.

Your sincerely,

Demigan.

I always thought that the ion/nuke cannon took exactly 1 minute to go off...

@Woandre

If people are choosing to save their skin, so be it. But I think that this will actually have players stay longer to disarm then in the original renegade. When those ion beams are obscuring your sight and the thing is about to go off, that's a very clear warning to bail. If the timer reaches 0 and you still have time to run, people, especially noobs, will stick around too long, thinking they still HAVE the time to run.

This will add new getaway tactics, people stationing an occupied APC nearby to help people get away from the blast in time. It is an advantage that people can actually get away from a nuke/ion blast through those tactics.

Yeah I somehow misinterpreted the case, probably because of the sentence "You have to make a choice whether to save your char/tank or disarm nuke/ion".

But now I understand, I think it is a great idea, because now you can 'repair till the end' and still save your char (incase it is the bar that gets nuked)

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade-X is based off of UDK (Unreal Engine 3) and not Unreal Tournament 3 so that means you will not have to own UT3. Once it's done you can download the full installer package without any prerequisites.