Wait, Wait, Wait...

Kilroy

• Totem Arts Staff

Yer it was the game that was 80% done and then got trown in the bin ....looked good (almost looked like a test for newer games like cysis where 1 weapon can do lots of things like the suit in crysis)

bloody EA thanks, i wonted to play that game looked good .... i dont care if the graphincs was not up to par as long as the game play was good

• Totem Arts Staff

That's Tiberium, it was cancelled about 2 years ago.

I don't think the game would've been successful. The singleplayer had potential, but the multiplayer was just you with an AI squad fighting another player and his AI squad over respawn points. EALA at the time said Tiberium was like Battlefield's conquest mode except without human teammates. Players also wouldn't be able to operate vehicles, which means all you had was one gun which can transform into different weapons. No C&C mode, no tanks, just another console-based shooter. The project fell apart because there was tension within the Tiberium dev team and the head managers, but also because the game didn't live up to EA's standard.

To be honest, I never really saw C&C as a multiplayer game. It's always been about the single player. Except for Renegade, of course. Tiberium would have been the same.

It should have a multiplayer, but not focus on it. Notice that the C&C games that are geared toward multiplayer tend to suck more *coughcoughTiberiumTwilightcoughcough*

• Totem Arts Staff

Yeah you do have a point, I've always preferred C&C RTS games for their singleplayers. I think RTS in general. If I play an RTS online, I run into the people who play every day and get my ass stomped. If I made an RTS, I'd also make it singleplayer-oriented. But for an FPS game, if there's no proper multiplayer, it'll just last the 10 or so hours it takes to beat. Imagine if Renegade had no multiplayer.

Well, i heard the first time from Tiberium, when I was at cnc-inside.

At that time, the mods made posts with many design/arts/whatever pictures, where i thought this would be very similiar to ren multiplayer (Hand Of Nod in one of them, attacked by Scrins).

unfortunately, it was AFTER Tiberium got cancelled (at that day, i watched the trailer to it too, the one is posted here ;) ).

At least we got now RenX, with the ability to make maps :D

• 3 months later...

I'll never forget seeing the cover for Tiberium on the cover of Game Informer, thinking it would be something like Renegade. Then I read on to see that it was going to be squad based, and I was immediately turned off. Would of liked to of tried it out, but I guess what's done is done.

I think that tiberium would be like C&C4, the idea was incredibly good, innovative and something they should have done a long time ago. However, in the execution they just kept doing the wrong thing. It looked like Tiberium would sport several types of enemies, and a really, REALLY cramped amount of units ready for you:

an infantry squad, a rocket squad (and no more infantry!), several types of titans (anti-tank, anti-infantry, perhaps an AA but I don't know), and one orca type.

Along with that, you were allowed to buy new units along the way, bolstering your forces. But if you weren't outfitted for the task at hand (lots of infantry units and you geared VS tanks) you would simply had to sacrefice your anti-tank units, buy anti-infantry units and come back. Making your descisions as a 'field commander' rather callous and destroying the GDI morals.