The Official First Impression Thread!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

So far my first impression is that it is awesome. The graphics and physicals make it great. But I do think it has one problem, but I suspect a lot will disagree with me..

It's too much like renegade. It's copying it exactly when I just don't think it should. I know the maps are remakes, but the original maps were small due to the engine, not by choice. EVERY single round boils down to the same thing:

Either fight with tanks in the vehicle field, or fight as infantry in the tunnel.

No progress is every made, nothing ever changes. It was pretty much the same in renegade. It's just one big huge giant stalemate.

In my opinion, the mod would be a lot, lot better if it didn't copy renegade exactly and instead decided to expand upon it, and make it what they probably had in mind when they made renegade, but couldn't do for technical reasons. With unreal engine, maps can be much, much, much larger and look like actual battlefields, as opposed to petri dish battle areas where you only ever fight in one of two areas.

I'll do a Review which i hope the Renegade X team will find helpful *Bare in mind most of the stuff i complain about will more thank likely be fixed or changed in a new version so this is not my final review on the finished mod*

***GRAPHICS*** 9.0/10

Im not really a Big fan of the Unreal engine because of the stupid Anti aliasing, I mean it never shows any but damn i cant even notice barly any jaggies! that a good thing to me. Secondly the tanks and infantry look good. Also the taunt is funny, Islands has some framerate issues on my Computer the map hovers around 30fps compaired to field which is about 60fps normaly. Islands has also this annoying water effect when you driver over mud and that lags my pc badly so i can never go in vechicles on this map because of that. Aside from that Islands is a good looking map with some nice water effects in the tunnels and Field is just how i remember it, But this time its alot better. The explosions look good also, So yeah im impressed with the graphics. Theres a few graphics also scattered around. But i know they will be fixed sooner or later.

***STABILITY*** 5.0/10

50% of the Time i cant get into any Servers because it locks up on the Menu when i try to join Via the renegade x client. Or my PC crashes and forces me to restart because of some error that pops up when i try to join a server or the game. So overall im not impressed, theres alot of bugs and glitches that get in the way and i feel the mod could of spent a extra two weeks getting rid of all the bugs. But for such a project so large i am impressed theres nothing gamebreaking that ruins the game. But its a shame i can never get the game to work.

***GAMEPLAY*** 8.9/10

Hot Damn! its Renegade! or Renegade how it should of been. I love the gameplay the action the infantry fighting, the Tank fighting! its all pretty awesome. the Unreal engine does the gameplay of renegade alot of justice and it shows! I wish EA would make a renegade 2 But ohh what the heck Renegade x is Renegade 2! Good job guys cant wait to see further updates to enchane the gameplay of the mod. Only thing i dont like is the drving controls.. They feel all over the place they need tuning a bit more.

***SOUND*** 9/10

Another winner! the sound effects for the tanks is Awesome Shame they isnt any music though but yeah good job!

ALL IN ALL I GIVE THE MOD 7/10

+ Good Graphics

+ Good Design

+ Great Online that does Renegade justice

- Too Many bugs & Glitches

- Cant get it to work half of the time

- Isnt Complete

What I like:

1) I like the graphics nothing wrong with that

2) all stuuf looks nice except charakters (will come at that at stuffs i don't like)

3) The explotions are very coolness too.

4) sound is perfect too except for the 500 sniper.

5) good gameplay as well.

Things i didn't like:

1) charakters look to much as the UT3 version of charakters.. they move very weird the way i don't like.. they should have a bit more moves like original renegade couse that's how i liked renegade.. they walk on renegade x like they wuold have some broken legs or something very weird as i said.

2) weapons are way to weak except shotgun it's too strong and others like 500 sniper are to weak i need to hit about 3-4 times to kill an soldier/shotgunner/engineer/flamer,rocket soldier which is not nice they all should have the dammage things like in renegade same as the vehicles arty's gives a lot of demmage it easily wins from a mamouth tank i almost killed 2 of them while both shooting at me so i think you should fix that.

3) Reticle: well i like it but i better wanna have the renegade reticle also the dot should move behind building or any other objects when you look around it couse that way you can see when you can shoot while beiing in 3hrd person mode.

4) weapons doesn't fit to the charakters.. 500 sniper has the ramjet rifle but hits to weak it should look like the 500 in renegade just better graphics and better dammages also sakura has to change with future ravenshaw so that sakura has the ramjet ravenshaw his own railgun couse i am getting sick of seeiing sakura with rail gun.. also how she looks like is bit weird to short hair and to fatty..

5) c4 is wierd like said before by other guys. if i used them both i can't back to it couse it's empty so i can't activate it to explode a building also those are bit weaky? couse after 2 timed c4 and 2 proxy c4 the building still had like 2 bars of health which in real renegade was already death.

6) No radio comments is bored me off i am pushing ctrl + 7 or other numbers couse i want to say it that way but no sounds of that also if a vehicle is done it should say UNIT READY! and ION CANNON BEACON DEPLOYED (or nuke) which is easier to play this game though.

7) the GDI refinerey on Islands + Fields is his own enemy building if i aim on it (as GDI team) i see it signed red but if i shoot no dammage (well that's logistic) but anyways .. it tooks the whole game till it ends by time limit when gdi destroyed all nod buildings.. the only thing they had to destroy was nothing but it said they should own their own refinerey which was really annoying some people and me too.

8) at islands i don't know if a bug but people where already trying some stuffs like getting mamouth on top of BAR and they made it so when i died i went out of bar and looked up it there was driving a mamouth on it. shouldn't happen though i guess?

9) with laser weapons, chemical weapons, rocket launcher i give them demmage but when they walk away out of aim they should still got demmage like in renegade they had when you hit them by tiberium stuff etc. also if you walk on tiberium and get out your immidiatly out of demmage which is not really funny even if i would do that and i have 1 ammo left after it i still don't like it couse it's not renegade anymore to much at UT 3 sides.. the maps looks great etc. but the charakters and vehicles i think they are to much to the UT3 side so i hope you fix this problem soon couse i can't wait to give them demmage like in renegade with sniper :D

10) the sniper: if i am on his head no dammage but i figured out that if you should 1 cm before his head where he is gonna walk too he is dead by headshot that should be change to if i am on his head and i shoot on it it should be a headshot already.. at close fights i aim on head but no dammage so soldiers and others which have high dammage are killing me between 3 sec already.. and in close fights a bullet is uncounteble so it should be in the head when you aim on it immidiatly fix that (if you understand this my english isn't good)

11) The hud is annoying me too .. 1) it shouldn't show enemy but that's easy to fix couse just change it at option of server i guess.. at least the host should do that.

2) i don't like the red and yellow one it should be green (weapons/radar) grey (armour health) red armour i guess it was or something like that and money/time should be white..

12) i was pushing tab alot to see my kills and deaths but no i couldn't see it and if i press escape go to game see score i see my kills deaths well only deaths couse my kills shows up my score that's annoying me too .. make an ingame issue to see ur name-kills-deaths-k/d-score like in renegade.

13) agt still shooting you while u are against it with vehicle you can't stay against it without the agt is shooting you.

I think this is all till now and i hope later there will be 0 of those 13 arguments/oppinion. this is how i think the game is and how it should look like hope you could change some stuff after this anyways good job to release this though!! ;)

dopey1992,top5gamer,

Jeroen Dubois

Many greatings.

This is a genuinely good mod. You can tell you have put your heart, blood, sweat and tears into it, and I hope you continue to do so. There are bugs, yes. No big deal. Its going to be that way for awhile. The gameplay already takes Rens and improves it, imo.

There are some balancing tweaks that need done, Seems like infantry fights are a bit faster than ren were whether thats a good or bad thing is up to you. Im fine with it, but some people may prefer the slower damage intake. Then again, armor isnt working yet, so that alone may cure that.

Just keep working on it honestly. Its all going to come together and the small little stuff is going to slide aside.

Im trying to think of any way I can assist you guys honestly. My modeling talent is meh though, and so is my texturing, I am novice I would say, so I dont know that I could assist at all. I can't do code work either unfortunately.. Perhaps I will learn the map editor, I cant imagine it being that hard. I would love to help out some how in my spare time.

Anyways, keep up the amazing work, you have all of our thanks.

the mod is A LOT better than I expected. here's my first impressions

-graphics are simply awesome. sometimes looks better than ut3 itself.

-flame tank's head is huge. I liked the model but you can't see where you're heading. I'd suggest implementing an icon like in battlefield series

tanky.jpg

-vehicle limit is never fun. the game gets stuck after a while.

-when going backwards in a vehicle, left and right seems to be wrong. correct me if I'm wrong about that one.

-server browser needs a ping checker. not everyone has fiber optic :P

-of course there are minor bugs and ut3 leftovers but I'm avare of this is a beta and you're going to do your best to fix those. Even team fortress 2 still gets patched these days.

Thank you for this great mod. If you keep up the great work and support it, this will undoubtly win the mod of the year contest :lol:

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Oct 1 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty impressed so far with what you have done! ;)

When I entered the server, it almost brought a tear to my eye. As cliched as this sounds, Renegade was a big part of my life. I think most of the guys here who are uber fans would agree. :)
You've managed to capture that unique Renegade multiplayer that we all love (and hate <_< :P ) and took it to the next level! Graphics are pretty impressive all around aswell as the audio elements!

I feel I got what I expected and a little more tbh. I knew it was a beta so I didn't expect the final product. Consequently, I would have preferred one more map! Maybe you guys can hurry up with hourglass for a quick update? :D

As far as surprises though, you guys finally releasing it gave me a heart attack! (I kid I kid! ;):P )

There is still alot of work to be done but hopefully the beta will encourage more people to help out finish it off!
As I've reported some myself, there are many glitches, bugs and whatnot that needs fixing for the next update. It's playable at the moment but it still needs some elbow grease at certain areas.

I applaud Totem Arts and whoever pitched in to make this mod possible. The overall quality and effort put in to this so far has been outstanding. For the teams first project, it's definitely paved your way onto the modding scene
Definitely the best mod made (almost! xD)

That's what I think anyway. :) [/b]

i agree :)

Hi,

(Sorry for my bad english ^^)

My first impression :

I love this gameplay and graphics. But i need more sounds for ambiance (little music or noise of environnement, wind, water etc...) and especially do not lose the fun of Command and conquer Renegade.

The HUD is not clear, the ancien HUD was better, but it needed more information as mines, vehicles and state of building, especially not monochrome.

I do not see what to say others, this beta il really good, except bugs guests :P

But very nice jobs, the team is really good ;)

Nico,