New game modes

R315r4z0r

We've read that they are eventually planning on adding in new game modes such as capture the flag and world domination mode. But what else could they put in besides those? Post an idea you come up with in this thread to maybe help spark an idea for the devs.

My idea:

Game name: "Bounty"

Bounty could be considered a "tactical death match." It's every man for himself (or it can be teams, but I think FFA would be more fun). Players are able to purchase vehicles and other classes, however you only gain income by killing other players. When you kill someone, you take all that they are worth, or their "bounty." Their "bounty" would appear above their head when you target them. (If you spend money on a character, your bounty is your current credits + how much the purchased unit costs.)

The person with the highest bounty at the end of the match is the winner.

The reason I called it a "tactical" death match is because it really isn't about getting the most kills. You might have the most kills, but your kills may not have been worth much money. If you only save your shots for the really expensive bounties, then you can win with the least kills.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Sep 8 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've read that they are eventually planning on adding in new game modes such as capture the flag and world domination mode. But what else could they put in besides those? Post an idea you come up with in this thread to maybe help spark an idea for the devs.

My idea:

Game name: "Bounty"

Bounty could be considered a "tactical death match." It's every man for himself (or it can be teams, but I think FFA would be more fun). Players are able to purchase vehicles and other classes, however you only gain income by killing other players. When you kill someone, you take all that they are worth, or their "bounty." Their "bounty" would appear above their head when you target them. (If you spend money on a character, your bounty is your current credits + how much the purchased unit costs.)

The person with the highest bounty at the end of the match is the winner.

The reason I called it a "tactical" death match is because it really isn't about getting the most kills. You might have the most kills, but your kills may not have been worth much money. If you only save your shots for the really expensive bounties, then you can win with the least kills.[/b]

That sounds good, but the modes really depend on what UT3's engine can support. If possible, a zombie mode could be made like COD5's zombie mode. (This exists in Renegade already as Mutant Mode) Basically if you're killed by a mutant, you become a mutant. If any humans remain when the timer ends, humans win.

• Totem Arts Staff

We don't want to be putting in a lot of modes considering mods have a limited playerbase and this is a "C&C mode" adventure, but some of the modes we've been discussing for a few years:

-> Assault Mode (from UT 2004) which is an objective-based mode. Could be mingled with C&C mode as well depending on the map.

-> World Domination, which is not set in stone yet.

-> Command & Capture, which is C&C mode mingled with CTF. Each time you flag capture, a random event will happen (airstrike, random building destroyed on opposite team, everyone gets beacons, credit reward, etc.)

But we really want to limit our mod to these 4 modes for reasons I've mentioned.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Sep 9 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't want to be putting in a lot of modes considering mods have a limited playerbase and this is a "C&C mode" adventure, but some of the modes we've been discussing for a few years:

-> Assault Mode (from UT 2004) which is an objective-based mode. Could be mingled with C&C mode as well depending on the map.
-> World Domination, which is not set in stone yet.
-> Command & Capture, which is C&C mode mingled with CTF. Each time you flag capture, a random event will happen (airstrike, random building destroyed on opposite team, everyone gets beacons, credit reward, etc.)

But we really want to limit our mod to these 4 modes for reasons I've mentioned.[/b]

I'd totally hit that. :P

I wonder if the Renegade X team will redo the green kane, and a bunch of the viceroids, the viceroids must be or it won't be Renegade, the viceroids give the C&C series a very unique feild with the tiberium poisoning and all, so if its not there it would suck because the viceroids are fast and hard to hit.

Mod inside a mod which will get modded to mod inside a mod inside another mod? :P

Just crossed my mind.

Basically I was talking about R-X getting a mod, let's say zombie mod. Then this zombie mod gets a few different versions of it. Like Zombie mod X, Zombie mod Y and Zombie mod Z. ^^

QUOTE (Mr. Weedy @ Sep 12 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mod inside a mod which will get modded to mod inside a mod inside another mod? :P

Just crossed my mind.

Basically I was talking about R-X getting a mod, let's say zombie mod. Then this zombie mod gets a few different versions of it. Like Zombie mod X, Zombie mod Y and Zombie mod Z. ^^[/b]

yo dawg...

• 1 month later...

I'm going to bump this thread because I thought about a cool mode. I know Fobby said they aren't planning on adding much, but I thought it was cool and wanted to share.

This is much less a mode then it is a style of map. It is designed to be a co-op style offense/defense map. (I've played the type of map I'm speaking about before on large servers and it is REALLY fun.)

Of any of the long time Renegade players here, have any of you heard of the old A1game server? There were a few discrepancies with that server which I think is what gave it some of its popularity. Anyway, the server was HIGHLY anti-cheat, anti-client modifications. However, they did attempt to modify some of the maps a little to give it a bit of a difficulty swing (like increasing the hitpoints of defenes and stuff like that.) However, one of the major draws to that server was it's modified single player missions. They were unique to that server and were not shared with anyone else.

(For those that don't want to read the entire post, main point starts at the bolded "What I'm getting at")

A1 (the person who designed the modifications) designed each single player mission to play out completely differently. For example, M01 was a hiking/combat style map where the enemy teams were placed far apart and it took a long time to reach contact. If you died, you had to respawn back at start. One might think that this would be a deterrent for this map, but to the contrary, it was a lot of fun. The death penalty of having to hike back to combat made people fear dying in combat. They used that emotion to group into squads and push forward as a functioning squad in the terrain. It was especially satisfying to push through enemy forces relying on squad feedback.

Another example is the map M01 (the mansion map) Each team started with a PT in different parts of the map. But the only weapons available were the basic infantry and some autorifle spawns. It was the best auto-rifle infantry death match map on any server I've ever played.

Finally, possibly the best modded mission map, and the point I'm making, comes from the mission map M02. (That was the third mission in the snow with the dam and the Nod base were Havoc goes to shoot Mendoza but accidentally kills a passing guard.) Anyway, if you recall, that map was LOOOONNNG.. The way that the A1game server set up this map was similar to that of M01 in that each team started at the opposite ends of the map (Nod Started at the dam where GDI started at where Havoc starts the mission in SP.) The difference between this and M01 was that instead of an infantry death match, it was a vehicle death match. But the map had an extra death penalty other than having to hike back into combat: heavy vehicles didn't respawn.

Each team started with a wide array of vehicles. GDI had about 8 medium tanks, a mammoth tank, an MRLS, and a bunch of respawning humm-vees. Nod had like 9 light tanks, a stealth tank, an artillery, and a bunch of respawning buggies.

What made this map especially fun were a few reasons:

-Death penalties made people really want to fight for their lives in this map. You didn't see people wasting away their time not caring if they lived or died (unless they just wanted to be a prick)

-Exceptional team play was guaranteed even by people who've never played on the server.

-It's bottle neck style design made driving into unknown territory uneasy and unsettling. A foreboding sense of danger scared teammates into cooperating together as a team in a way that many of you oldschool Renegaders have never experienced or even deemed possible in Renegade.

-Ambushes could be set up to take the enemy team by surprise

What I'm getting at in terms of a game mode/map style is to follow something similar to what was done in the description of M02 that I mentioned.

1. A long winding map, possibly with multiple paths that splinter off of each other and meet up again later.

2. Design: Open field areas divided by bottle neck connections

3. Possibly an Offensive/Defensive theme depending on the map. Ex: Nod is holding a location and GDI is assaulting it.

Alteration suggestions I've thought of could be something like this:

1. Evolving map progress could be done by the assaulting team bringing a certain vehicle up in the battlefield (like an MCV). Ex, if the MCV is able to get to a certain point in a map, that team's progress would continue from that location on as if they won control of that area.

2. Epic capture the flag style gameplay could be implemented to introduce multiple "waves" of respawning units. Meaning every time a flag is captured and someone scores, all vehicles respawn back at base for another round. (So that the match doesn't have to necessarily end if you exhaust all of your team's heavier units early in a match.)

Anyway, that's my idea. I just remembered it as the most fun in a Renegade server I ever had and thought it would be cool to get a similar mode/map style in Renegade X.

A coop mode for singleplayer missions.

A greed mode, where a team that harvests the most tiberium wins.

An epic mode, where people start with an MCV and the person that leads builds the base.

And also, a vehicle mode, where you start as a vehicle and need to upgrade yourself in order to destroy the enemy base.

SOLE SURVIVOR, same as the original sole survivor you play as long as possible on a large field with crate spawns to help you live that give boosts like accumulative armour or HP, double damage, more weapons, vehicles etc

Last man standing wins the round

Constuction vehicle as a Mobile PT terminal?

QUOTE (SkyHammer @ Oct 15 2009, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mutant/survival mode idea is what stuck out to me. I remember what you are talking about R315r4z0r, and I think that would be fun too, but it sounds like that would take a while to recreate....[/b]

I don't think it be hard to make at all. It would be easier than making a full C&C mode map.

All it would be is a long map with vehicle spawns for either team at the ends.