Tsunami Gaming interviews Renegade X founder

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

TsuScorpio from TsuGaming.com has just posted an interview with myself concerning some important issues revolving around Renegade X.

The 12-question interview can be found here: http://www.tsugaming.com/forums/viewtopic....777f80d2454eb4e

Since forum registration is obligatory on the tsugaming network, one must register on their forum to view the interview. For those who are unable to register, the full interview will be posted on this thread on June 13th, 2009 (this Saturday).

Here is an excerpt:

12. For aspiring mod/game makers/modelers, what advice would you give them?

Start NOW if you haven't done so already. Dive straight into the editors/programs. Read the documentation/manuals that come with them. Go online and find tutorials on how to do the things you want to do. These days there are plenty of tutorials with pictures or even videos. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Show off your work at places like Polycount or CG Talk; remember, the majority of the people there want to see you improve so don't take any feedback personally. They're trying to help make your work better. Ignore any trolls. And of course, if you're looking to join a mod team, make sure you join one that is organized, and have their eyes set on success. The worst thing you could do as an artist is waste your time with an unorganized team that will never get the project done.[/b]

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 10 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since forum registration is obligatory on the tsugaming network, one must register on their forum to view the interview. For those who are unable to register, the full interview will be posted on this thread on June 13th, 2009 (this Saturday).[/b]

anyone can see it at http://www.tsugaming.com/forums/home.php with out registration

QUOTE (dyslexicdavey @ Jun 11 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone can see it at http://www.tsugaming.com/forums/home.php with out registration[/b]

Thanks for that.

I read the interview, looks nice. Only one question:

The Unreal Tournament series also has its own similarities to C&C Renegade, with its large maps, fast gameplay, interesting game modes and the fact that its believable, but not necessarily realistic.

Fast gameplay? Renegade is just about the only game that is neither slow nor fast. You build up, probe your enemies strenghts and weaknesses and GO for it. There are lots of times you have to act faster then any other game I've seen, but mostly it's a continous movement towards the ending. Just look at the vehicles, they aren't what you would call speedy, even the APC isn't fast. That changes as soon as it becomes a run at a building. Just reaching it first can be a lighting fast race of who reacts first.
Otherwise, No objections :)

• Totem Arts Staff

Actually, Renegade's gameplay is quite faster than most other popular FPS games, such as the Battlefield series, Call of Duty series, Ghost Recon series, and even the Halo series. It's one of the only games where movement needs to be continual with run and gun action, while other FPS games emphasize duck, cover, prone, and capturing control points. There are also immediate spawn times, and not much time is spent reloading, finding ammo, or waiting for guns to charge. The movement itself might not be "fast", but many aspects of the game make it faster paced than many others.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 11 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, Renegade's gameplay is quite faster than most other popular FPS games, such as the Battlefield series, Call of Duty series, Ghost Recon series, and even the Halo series. It's one of the only games where movement needs to be continual with run and gun action, while other FPS games emphasize duck, cover, prone, and capturing control points. There are also immediate spawn times, and not much time is spent reloading, finding ammo, or waiting for guns to charge. The movement itself might not be "fast", but many aspects of the game make it faster paced than many others.[/b]

I'd have to agree. I've always remembered Renegade as that game where you don't have to reload, and it is more about killing your enemy and running around them instead of more strategic based combat. And I like it. :)

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 11 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, Renegade's gameplay is quite faster than most other popular FPS games, such as the Battlefield series, Call of Duty series, Ghost Recon series, and even the Halo series. It's one of the only games where movement needs to be continual with run and gun action, while other FPS games emphasize duck, cover, prone, and capturing control points. There are also immediate spawn times, and not much time is spent reloading, finding ammo, or waiting for guns to charge. The movement itself might not be "fast", but many aspects of the game make it faster paced than many others.[/b]

Looking at it from that perspective, yes it's damn well faster.

As for Nithix's answer. Renegade is still much more stragetic based. Going prone, crouching and taking up position is all a very great and stragetic, but only the infantry-fights in renegade are more about who's best at shooting. Still, only the choice of your character and where you are trying to engange your enemy is much more important in this game then any other. In other games, you can pick up a shotgun and a sniper, should someone come close, it's swap and you are dangerous closeby. In renegade, a shotgun trooper is mostly stuck with his shotgun, and a sniper with his sniper. Giving them a much more defined role and on top of that a much clearer picture of what battles and places they should avoid and what places and battles they should (ab)use.
Then there is also preying. Renegade has given each character not only a stragetic worth, but also an economical worth. People are more inclined to shoot that expencive character then a character that is more nuisance and costs nothing. Especially because an expensive character will try to get away after getting dangerously hurt. While a cheap or free character is more inclined to attack untill dead and hope he can take down everything with a higher worth, as many as possible. Renegade offers choices everywhere, before battle, where to battle, and who to attack during a battle is much more important. Other games it's mostly 'attack the person who you have most chances to kill/hurt'. Renegade gives you an option: what gives me a benefit? should I take the gamble?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 11 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reminds of Empires a bit. ^^

Though I hope this game won't be too fast phased so it won't be fun because modern world revolves enough fast around you all the time. :(

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 11 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that.

I read the interview, looks nice. Only one question:

The Unreal Tournament series also has its own similarities to C&C
Renegade, with its large maps, fast gameplay, interesting game
modes and the fact that its believable, but not necessarily realistic.

Fast gameplay? Renegade is just about the only game that is neither slow
nor fast. You build up, probe your enemies strenghts and weaknesses and
GO for it. There are lots of times you have to act faster then any other
game I've seen, but mostly it's a continous movement towards the ending.
Just look at the vehicles, they aren't what you would call speedy, even
the APC isn't fast. That changes as soon as it becomes a run at a
building. Just reaching it first can be a lighting fast race of who
reacts first.
Otherwise, No objections :) [/b]

I have a slightly different take on Renegade's pacing. Rather than being neither slow nor fast, Renegade can be very fast, or very slow, depending on which aspect of the game you take into account: On the individual scale- player by player- it's generally fast. And I define the "speed" of a game on how easily a player can go from connecting to the server to racking up a steady supply of points. Some games are less accessible than others. in Renegade, a new player can easily jump into the game, and find something to do. You may not be winning- but there will always be a way to contribute to the action.

There are some exceptions though- not every novice player is going to jump in and start making record kills with a sniper- unless they're hacking. Renegade, like all games, and everything in life for that matter, has its own learning curve. But it's generally easy to get started. Can't shoot land any shots on the enemy? Just shoot your own base! ... With a repair gun.

I found UT3 to be similar- as long as you are not playing with people who have many more hours of game time than you- it is not to difficult to jump in and have a good time( though I have much less in-game experience with UT3 than I do Renegade).

And by the above definition, Battlefield 2 would be a slower-paced game. I loved the variability and potential for teamwork in BF2, but it wasn't very easy for me to get into. In Renegade, mismatched levels of experience among teams usually isn't too much of an issue, since even the newest players can find something to do. In BF2, if you're a less-experienced player, you'll spend most of your time dying and waiting to respawn- possibly because it's easier for experienced players to monopolize the playing field in BF2.

Of course, pace and accessibility can also be defined as how easy it is for a player to go from desktop to server. An obvious bad example here would be Battlefield 2- at least in my experience, just getting into a good server in Battlefield 2 takes some skill(or inhuman measures of patience). Of course, Renegade is kind of like this nowadays, but Renegade is now well beyond the toddler stage, at 7 years old- good servers are tough to find(partly because many of the clan-hosted servers are gone, since most of the clans are gone). But at its peak, a newbie could go from the end of installation to a strong server in no time.

But, if you want to define pace as the speed at which the game objectives progress(for Renegade, this would be how quickly a tean can get together and destroy the enemy base, or how well the team can put together a strong point led)- Renegade can be ridiculously slow-paced, or it can be very fast. But this depends mainly on which map the server is playing(Hourglass=slow), how many people are in the game, and who those people are(8 NEs vs. 8 random players generally makes Hourglass much faster). In other words, progress toward's Renegade's round-by-round objectives depends on how the game is being played, and not on the game itself. But this is the same in all games, though some tend to be faster or slower, on average(for example, most flat-out FPSs are typically faster-paced when moving towards game objectives, since the objectives are usually very simple: shoot anything that moves).

QUOTE (Patriot @ Jun 15 2009, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

I dont want to quote the whole post above me, but it is more or less the basics for this post.

For me the pace is mostly defined by moving, encountering an enemy, killing the enemy, moving on.

Movement in Renegade is largely dependent on where you are moving and in what vehicle. There are lots of open spaces for vehicles and on foot, and lots of tight corners. Fast paced moving in the tight corners on foot, slow paced for vehicles if they can get there. Slow paced if you are in open field (or quick, if you include getting shot/driven over and respawning) and moderate for vehicles. Near bases it is mostly fast paced and a good variation of tight corners and open ground.

Encountering an enemy doesnt take too long. Its between medium and fast. Finding enemies is easy (in contradiction to some games witch I'll not name) and if you want to stay hidden, there are plenty of ways for that too. Going from base to base you'll mostly encounter 2 or 3 people, and it can easilly go up to 40 people if you're having fun. (Field tunnels for example)

Killing others does take a while. Comparing it with all the UT series, Quake and Crisis for example, the pace is just slow. For more experienced players you will have a moderate pace. It is possible to survive lots and lots of enemies for seconds, while you might be able to pop some of them off. Snipers arent included ofcourse, that is basicly the same in most games (BANG! you're dead)
Vehicle killing does take a while. Heavy armored, you need lots of firepower to take any of the vehicles down. 1vs1 Even the buggy needs 5 seconds for most of the man and vehicles. Though having grown accustomed to that, they have a just slower then moderate pace.

Moving on.
I meant the objectives with this. Objectives often take long in Renegade. Even starting with a disadvantage like losing your PP or Ref, you can still hold it out or win. I really dont mind that, I might tell you!

So all in all, renegade is just above avarage. But it certainly isnt fast.

On topic:
Quote "with its large maps, fast gameplay, interesting game modes and the fact that its believable, but not necessarily realistic."
Yesss. Thats what is attracting me in C&C.

The interview gives a new light on the developers. Funny.

Ban4life

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 11 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're forgetting a popular one that is probably the fastest paced FPS ever, Quake. Standing still or ducking will result in certain death unless you're camping with a railgun. <_

QUOTE (Armada @ Jun 15 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're forgetting a popular one that is probably the fastest paced FPS ever, Quake. Standing still or ducking will result in certain death unless you're camping with a railgun. <_<[/b]

What about Tribes CTF. I really love tribes i played it way more than quake or unreal