Accessible Off Battlefield Locations

Tacitus

Dear Map Makers, why are these locations part of many maps?

I was just playing on Oasis, trying to snipe. I found a boulder along side the main path out of the Nod base perfect for hiding behind. As soon as I go behind it a "Return to Battlefield" timer starts, effectively making me jump in and out of cover so as not to die from the dreaded countdown. Why can't these off battlefield locations be made inaccessible? Is there any advantage to keeping them as is? This particular instance was incredibly annoying because this wasn't an "out of the way" location like many maps have that is considered off battlefield (i.e. Walls).

7 hours ago, Tacitus said:

I was just playing on Oasis, trying to snipe. I found a boulder along side the main path out of the Nod base perfect for hiding behind. As soon as I go behind it a "Return to Battlefield" timer starts, effectively making me jump in and out of cover so as not to die from the dreaded countdown. Why can't these off battlefield locations be made inaccessible? Is there any advantage to keeping them as is? This particular instance was incredibly annoying because this wasn't an "out of the way" location like many maps have that is considered off battlefield (i.e. Walls).

Well they can serve as very temporary escape points. If for example you are a stealth black hand you can potentially exit the designated play area temporarily and repeatedly to avoid detection from players traversing the normal path.

There are also aesthetic reasons for being able to exit the battlefield or to have an ability to do so. The alternative is would be either visible objects blocking your path, such as rocks, barbed wire, etc. Or you can have invisible walls. Invisible walls are inherently bad game design for a variety of reasons. In my opinion they should be avoided in nearly every case. So you're left with visible objects blocking your path. When every "path" outside of the battlefield is blocked off it basically turns the battlefield into one giant tunnel. It detracts even further from any semblance of 'realism' in a battlefield. It's kind of a cliche for every exit to be blocked. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 9:33 PM, Handepsilon said:

Honestly yes,  if I remember correctly,  somewhere in beta 4, the invisible walls were abolished in favor for off battlefield timer.

I'm honestly fine with invisible wall, especially due to how it became even harder to keep people from going out of the map

Looks like certain areas are not considered by some people to be out of bounds. OP wants you to extend a particular area. I'm in favor.

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, Riou Insuiko said:

When every "path" outside of the battlefield is blocked off it basically turns the battlefield into one giant tunnel. It detracts even further from any semblance of 'realism' in a battlefield. It's kind of a cliche for every exit to be blocked. 

I recall the original Renegade being like this, I would say "bowl" instead of "tunnel" though. If realism is the aim here I can understand it even if I disagree with that aim. I think it detracts from the playability of the map, especially on the one I mentioned in my post. Thanks for the explanation.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 8/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, Tacitus said:

A screenshot of the area might help them more...

19 hours ago, Tacitus said:

I recall the original Renegade being like this, I would say "bowl" instead of "tunnel" though. If realism is the aim here I can understand it even if I disagree with that aim. I think it detracts from the playability of the map, especially on the one I mentioned in my post. Thanks for the explanation.

Bowl might be more a more fitting name to call it. I don't think the game focuses super heavily on realism. Obviously not. When I say realism I more mean that it is a convincing setting for a battle. Background scenery makes a pretty big difference in my opinion. Even if clearly the battlefield is one giant arena when you have things to look at and 'ways out' of the battlefield, to me anyway, makes a much more engaging setting. In some ways it absolutely detracts from the gameplay experience when it's done poorly. You shouldn't be able to parkour in and out of the battlefield constantly avoiding a timer to get to some otherwise unreachable place. Nor should something that looks like it would be reasonably useful be a lure for people to get the warning countdown. In a sense, it should be clear and obvious when you are leaving the battlefield. Not sort of a guessing game as to when it's going to happen while skirting the edge of a map.