no sound on new game

N4CR

Hiya,

It's a known bug in the 64-bit client. Usually happens when you start a new match. Only option is to restart the game and rejoin.

The 32-bit client doesn't have this issue, but you might run into video memory errors. I'd recommend the 64bit client. I haven't had the soundbug in weeks, personally. You can post your experience on sound bug in this thread. 

This thread has possible fixes to try out. Godspeed!

Hello,

Thanks so much! Had a read and man it sounds tricky to fix. It's rareish, about 5-10% of matches so far. It has once or twice even caused a failure at the windows level - because nothing [sound related] works after, so an actual restart is needed, which might offer some insight into where problems could be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N4CR said:

Hello,

Thanks so much! Had a read and man it sounds tricky to fix. It's rareish, about 5-10% of matches so far. It has once or twice even caused a failure at the windows level - because nothing [sound related] works after, so an actual restart is needed, which might offer some insight into where problems could be.

Have you tried this, too?

1. Open explorer (windowskey + E) and navigate to the RenX 64-bit client folder in the program files. If you're running RenX on your C:\ drive and installed it with default settings, it should be here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Binaries\Win64

2. Locate UDK.exe, rightclick > Properties

3. Head over to the "Compatibility" tab and check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows Vista" from the list. 
You can try Windows 7 but iirc, some people still had a low chance of getting soundbug in Win7 mode. 

After applying this a while ago, I have been happily playing in the 64-bit client without soundbug. Hope it helps for you :)

Edited by Atomsk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Figured out how to restore sound without restart - disable/renable the sound device in win7 sound control panel/mixer. It consistently takes out sound for entire OS... which is really, really weird I've almost never had that happen and I fixed PCs for 5-6 years...

This bug also pops up in conjuction with a 'cant spawn bug' where it gives 'Insert something text here' overlay and all controls are randomly reversed and you are stuck in spectator mode.... they are often related. 

Will report back with testing, however seen some use this fix and still get the bug so praying it fixes it for me.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Okay appears to be fixed or mostly mitigated. Before was almost every 2nd game, now I have not had in 8 games. Yay thank you! Makes the game far more enjoyable. Sound bug really put me off..

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, N4CR said:

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Figured out how to restore sound without restart - disable/renable the sound device in win7 sound control panel/mixer. It consistently takes out sound for entire OS... which is really, really weird I've almost never had that happen and I fixed PCs for 5-6 years...

This bug also pops up in conjuction with a 'cant spawn bug' where it gives 'Insert something text here' overlay and all controls are randomly reversed and you are stuck in spectator mode.... they are often related. 

Will report back with testing, however seen some use this fix and still get the bug so praying it fixes it for me.

Cheers

EDIT: Ah, I thought you ment without restarting Renegade-X. That would've been a very valuable find.
Anyway yes this one is beyond tricky to fix. Many a dev went in and NEVER returned.....

Edited by DugeHick
oh waaait
  • Sad 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:51 AM, DugeHick said:

EDIT: Ah, I thought you ment without restarting Renegade-X. That would've been a very valuable find.
Anyway yes this one is beyond tricky to fix. Many a dev went in and NEVER returned.....

Sorry it doesn't work without exiting Ren-x which is frustrating. There could be a way to do it by restarting sound related service/process or disable/enable device in device manager perhaps? I was getting OS-wide sound loss until compatibility mode fix, which now with plenty of games past, appears to have resolved the issue to a high enough level to not worry if it crashed once a week vs every 2nd game..

Why can't you run compatibility mode or does it not work?

Cheers