"Launcher Has stopped working/responding"

Pilot96

Hey.. this is my first time installation
yesterday I started the launcher.. then stopped the download.. It stopped responding.. So I closed it.. did something.. Then I Started It again did nothing with the computer.. when the download almost finished.. the launcher stopped working again.. And when I restarted the launcher to try to continue the download.. It started from 0%.. Any solution to the problem?
I'm running Windows 10

Renegade-X Launcher logs.rar

• Sad 1

This is probably an issue that is quite common - what usually happens is as you describe - it will almost finish, but freeze. And then when you restart it, it will be at 0%, BUT it is 0% of the REMAINING download. So you should already have 99% or so already downloaded, and it is starting over on JUST THE REST. So it should finish up rather quickly. If that's not the case, let us know. : )

4 hours ago, HIHIHI said:

This is probably an issue that is quite common - what usually happens is as you describe - it will almost finish, but freeze. And then when you restart it, it will be at 0%, BUT it is 0% of the REMAINING download. So you should already have 99% or so already downloaded, and it is starting over on JUST THE REST. So it should finish up rather quickly. If that's not the case, let us know. : )

based on what you said, I tried to start the download but It downloaded 0.504 GiB without any change in the folder size.. Should I let It download and see what's gonna happen?
what do you think?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

• Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, Pilot96 said:

Also, The launcher while downloading had a 100% disk usage slowing down my computer alot.. Is that normal?

That is not normal.

You may want to try running the launcher as an administrator (right click : Run as Admin), just to rule out any permission issues. 

8 hours ago, yosh56 said:

That is not normal.

You may want to try running the launcher as an administrator (right click : Run as Admin), just to rule out any permission issues. 

Already did.. Same thing.

Also what do you think the solution for this is?

16 hours ago, Pilot96 said:

based on what you said, I tried to start the download but It downloaded 0.504 GiB without any change in the folder size.. Should I let It download and see what's gonna happen?
what do you think?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

• Totem Arts Staff

Disable any antivirus software. It loves to break the launcher.

Downloading from outside the launcher really isn't something I like.  We want the launcher to be all inclusive and work just like it should.  It works on standard systems. So I'd love to figure out whats special about your computer thats causing the issues.

I just Installed It on an Windows 7 computer.. the launcher downloaded all the files.. and then stopped responding... And when I opened  it again, it downloaded all the files again. After It finished, It did nothing.. So I opened the launcher again... it started downloading all the files again..

@yosh56 @HIHIHI

Can you please help me?

2 minutes ago, Cronus said:

Disable any antivirus software. It loves to break the launcher.

Downloading from outside the launcher really isn't something I like.  We want the launcher to be all inclusive and work just like it should.  It works on standard systems. So I'd love to figure out whats special about your computer thats causing the issues.

already tried disabling the anti-virus.. Didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, Pilot96 said:

already tried disabling the anti-virus.. Didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

Double check that you have enough harddrive space. If so, you may need to check your permissions on the Renegade X folder. 

[You can check permissions on the folder by right clicking it -> Properties -> Security tab] Screenshot that window, or at least see if the 'Everyone' group was given access to it. 

Also you can try closing the launcher, deleting the 'patch' folder in the 'Renegade X' folder, then trying the download again. It's (very) unlikely, but the downloaded data could've just been corrupted in some way.  

11 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Double check that you have enough harddrive space. If so, you may need to check your permissions on the Renegade X folder. 

[You can check permissions on the folder by right clicking it -> Properties -> Security tab] Screenshot that window, or at least see if the 'Everyone' group was given access to it. 

Also you can try closing the launcher, deleting the 'patch' folder in the 'Renegade X' folder, then trying the download again. It's (very) unlikely, but the downloaded data could've just been corrupted in some way.  

Computer 1 (running windows 10) has a free space of 12.6 GB .. Computer 2 (running windows 7 has a free space of 1.4 GB.. both With the patch downloaded.

ِAlready tried deleting the patch folder on Computer 2 with no success.. While on computer 1 I tried without deleting the patch folder.

Permissions are all good.

But here are screenshots for both computers in case I'm missing something
Computer 1:1.png.13ec22392363859ed084bc0bcb61171e.png2.png.12f42faeefcc7ef2bd4fee231c8c819d.png3.png.a000155fff74829975d903693129a69e.png4.png.5ff1eccc3cee200cda0e3086bbe70adc.png

Computer 2:Screenshot_1.png.a6fcadebbbca22bec6b367a1ebacb1f8.pngScreenshot_2.png.e969eb8869a2a546b474abde8d307aac.pngScreenshot_3.png.373d9f7322e73c755e6b7f8ba0e8dcda.pngScreenshot_4.png.19efc51f0434261b2e54f58b4cf860be.png

• Totem Arts Staff

Try adding the 'Everyone' group and giving it modify rights on the Renegade X folder.

Also, 1.4 GB is actually not enough free space. 

You can also run the launcher till it breaks, then look in the Windows 'Event Viewer' under 'Application' and see if Windows is throwing an error. That's how we found out about the d3d9 issue.

8 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Try adding the 'Everyone' group and giving it modify rights on the Renegade X folder.

Also, 1.4 GB is actually not enough free space. 

You can also run the launcher till it breaks, then look in the Windows 'Event Viewer' under 'Application' and see if Windows is throwing an error. That's how we found out about the d3d9 issue.

I'm using computer one now.. added 'Everyone' group and modified the rights.. Ran the launcher as an administrator.. 100% then stopped responding.

I checked the Windows event viewer and here's what I got:

image.png.fe8ed263cedf981ead6839944d048776.pngimage.png.9d2191d6f079484c8b17e155574444e7.png

2 ( I think that this is when the launcher reached 100%)

image.png.6ca40d21712296eda69b3ae847c11c34.pngimage.png.b862cb17f4ff8677f0e6fdac50875554.png

and 3 seconds before that error:

image.png.45a2ea76a4dbddbe0c2bc2f2a213b232.png

image.png.820bd80a89167a23785787739807d1da.png

6 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

How much free space on C.\ ? (In older versions this was also significant)

6 GBs available on the 'C' Partition.. While the partition where the game is installed has a 12.6 free GBs

Edited by Pilot96

• Totem Arts Staff

Hmm, can you get us a screenshot of the Renegade X\UDKGame\CookedPC folder? It may be having issues downloading the game due to the space, as if it is the 1st time you're downloading it it would be downloading those 6GB of patch folders, then expand to about 8GB of game. 

10 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Hmm, can you get us a screenshot of the Renegade X\UDKGame\CookedPC folder? It may be having issues downloading the game due to the space, as if it is the 1st time you're downloading it it would be downloading those 6GB of patch folders, then expand to about 8GB of game. 

the UDKGame folder is empty.

I have 12 GBs after the download is completed where I have Installed the game.. so the space shoudn't be an issue.

Edited by Pilot96

6 hours ago, DR2you said:

Did You Try Deleting The Whole Renegade X Folder, Re download The Installer And Reinstall The Launcher And Try Downloading Again?

Tried that and I installed it in a different dictionary.. But didn't re download the installer.

• Totem Arts Staff

Okay so you have no issues downloading. If you try to make a new file in Renegade-X\UDKGame (just a nee text file or anything) does it ask for admin rights or permission?

It's now at least clear that all it's having issues with is unpacking the files to their directories. 

22 hours ago, yosh56 said:

Okay so you have no issues downloading. If you try to make a new file in Renegade-X\UDKGame (just a nee text file or anything) does it ask for admin rights or permission?

It's now at least clear that all it's having issues with is unpacking the files to their directories. 

I Installed a new windows.. deleted Renegade X folder.. re-downloaded the installation and installed the game.. added 'everyone' in permissions and gave full control to every group and started the launcher.

Now I got this error after the download finished:

Spoiler

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Exception
   at RXPatchLib.DirectoryPatcher+<>c__DisplayClass13_1+<<Apply>b__3>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_1(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Event Data: 

I also had no problems with creating a text file/folder in 'UDXGame' folder

Edited by Pilot96

1 hour ago, ex_member said:

Hi Pilot,

I see that you have already disabled the Antivirus, but in certain cases that is not enough, e.g. in case of Bitdefender :
you need  to add the RenX installation folder  and the .EXE files to exceptions.

What AV do you use ?

I'm not using any AVs.. Just windows 10 defender.

13 minutes ago, ex_member said:

OK. Have you tried to add RenX folder and exe files as exception in Win Defender ?

I did after your previous reply.. But haven't tried yet.. It's kinda hard to keep downloading 6 gb over and over.. So i'm gonna wait for the dev's reply

Of course. It is very annoying.

You can try to run Process Explorer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and examine + collect some information about the whole process.

You can start by checking if there are any "Access denied" file and registry events :  https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/process-monitor-track-access-denied-registry-file-events/

16 hours ago, ex_member said:

Of course. It is very annoying.

You can try to run Process Explorer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and examine + collect some information about the whole process.

You can start by checking if there are any "Access denied" file and registry events :  https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/process-monitor-track-access-denied-registry-file-events/

I used the process monitor and did as you said.. there are some  "Access denied" indeed.. the results are attached.

note:I captured the the events while starting the launcher then starting the download only. I didn't let the launcher download all the files again.. Is that okay?

Edit

Removed the log like and joined the discord channel like @ex_member said.

Edited by Pilot96