Looking to upgrade, rock in a hard place

Madkill40

So with my current budget circulating around and under £750, I require a new Mobo, CPU (and due to DDR4 Mobo's new RAM)

The other pieces were just to draw up the actual stats (1060 and Evo I already own)

The place I'd be buying from has both the CPUs going for the exact same price of £319.99

The AMD Socket mobo is at £106.99 on my preferred site for parts, whereas the Intel Socket mobo is at £155.99

I trust Corsair for RAM, but any recommendations for RAM (preferably cheaper) would be appreciated. But with what's listed and on my preferred site: £218.99, which is quite dear for RAM...

My issue is that I am unsure which CPU to upgrade to, the i7 or the Ryzan 7? No kiddin, the 'Workstation' 88% kinda has me here.

Upgrade.thumb.png.e2342d8d0eb92a9688624444ab611c72.png

Note: Workstation "This formula is weight towards multi-core CPU performance"

Edited by Madkill40

What are you aiming to do with your build?

Are you looking at using as a Content Creation device (Map Making, Video Editing and other CPU core benefitting tasks) or Gaming (Which tend to favor high CPU clock speeds).

Both the specs you listed above can do both tasks very well.

The Intel CPU is definately capable of a higher clock speed, which makes gaming a lot smoother, since it has plenty of cores and high speed clock

The Ryzen CPU has the benefit of having 2 extra cores over the Intel CPU, which is 4 extra threads, which is ideal for the Workstation side of things, which considering you enjoy Map making every so often will prove better for you, and the CPU is still a high CPU clock speed as well, but doesn't have the same high boost clock compared to the Intel CPU, but with sufficient cooling (which will be necessary on both CPUs) Overclocking them would yeild a tangible benefit in Workstation use on the Ryzen CPU.

TLDR: Intel for pure gaming potential, Ryzen for more versitility at the cost of a base boost clock on the CPU cores.