Has anyone played RenX on a 2016 MacBook Pro?

djlaptop

Considering dropping the $4k to get a maxed out MacBook Pro (ships with a 4gb Radeon Pro 460 :/). I've played RenX on a Mac before, but curious if anyone has tried on this particular one and how it runs. Framerates and such.

I don't game a lot, but this particular game is a big enough part of my life where I care how it runs on my laptop. :)

On 4/25/2017 at 11:51 AM, djlaptop said:

I've played RenX on a Mac

How should we interpret this? Have you played it on Mac OS X operating system, or a Mac (hardware by Apple Inc.) running Windows with BootCamp?

According to Wikipedia, the theoretical performance of the Radeon Pro M460 should be 1863.7 GFLOPS (single precision), so it could mean it is somewhat near the performance of an nVidia GeForce 1050GTX... I am uncertain what would that mean regarding the frame-rate. Also, there is the matter of the unusual, 2880 x 1800 resolution... The CPU should be more then enough though.

26 minutes ago, swaffelen said:

I would compare with other laptops before dropping $4000 on a MBP.

Maybe he has other uses in mind, not considering RenX to be the primary deciding factor in his purchase, rather digital content creation, or other Apple specific software, or ergonomics...

Based on a quick play test with a slightly lesser MBP model (A1398) with Windows 10 running in Parallels, it's playable (30 FPS, 1440x900, Medium graphics preset). I'd strongly recommend not playing at native resolution though. This is far from the optimal test though -- I'm not even sure if Windows has the correct drivers installed, for example.

I can probably get better details if you like; just let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 9:24 AM, limsup said:

Maybe he has other uses in mind, not considering RenX to be the primary deciding factor in his purchase, rather digital content creation, or other Apple specific software, or ergonomics...

Indeed. I develop Windows, Mac and iOS apps. I did end up getting the MacBook and it is not without its faults, I'm still evaluating it for my primary uses while I'm in the return window. Haven't had the chance to try RenX on it yet. When I do so I will do it in BootCamp to avoid the overhead of Parallels. Will let you guys know how it goes.

9 hours ago, djlaptop said:

Indeed. I develop Windows, Mac and iOS apps. I did end up getting the MacBook and it is not without its faults, I'm still evaluating it for my primary uses while I'm in the return window. Haven't had the chance to try RenX on it yet. When I do so I will do it in BootCamp to avoid the overhead of Parallels. Will let you guys know how it goes.

I've never really tried to play games via Parallels... It is a very clever software, but I wonder, how could it perform in games? Bootcamp should be fine, but then you would have to carve out a partition for Windows, right?

Btw., I only used Mac OS because of XCode.

Edited by limsup

On 5/16/2017 at 3:54 AM, limsup said:

Btw., I only used Mac OS because of XCode.

I worked for Apple for about 15 months and I have to say, their hardware grew on me. It's just so elegant, even if overpriced.

Edited by djlaptop

6 hours ago, djlaptop said:

I worked for Apple for about 15 months and I have to say, their hardware grew on me. It's just so elegant, even if overpriced.

Indeed. My only problem is that [to my taste] recently (after Steve's passing) they started to make an increasing number of sacrifices for form over function. What makes a current Macbook, PRO? With so meager amount of ports present, its an adapter/converter jungle. Actually, it is their cables and stuff, that's overpriced. Sometimes it makes me wonder, is Apple really a cable/adapter manufacturing company with a small notebook division? :D 

On the other hand to my outsider point of view Apple has recently became lazy (comfy) with his dominant position on the markets... Like Intel, no real progress since AMD was comatose, their 7th generation Core i CPUs outperforming the 3rd gens with only a handful of percents... Then came Ryzen, and ohh, so now we'll going to have a Core i9 :D

Basically the same design for iPhones third year in a row, same goes for Macbooks. Okay, some design are timeless, but still...

P.s. Sorry for going off-topic!