50.000th download of Renegade-X (installer)

limsup

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 1:02 AM, Agent said:

I wish I could recall the actual total number of downloads. This is only the number of downloads since the forum/website revamp.

Yes, of course! 31.710 now, with almost 1.000 download / week. Still pretty impressive for a "proper" game (meaning not some mobile app hastily put together) in ßeta, especially without the backing of a big studio!

On 4/19/2017 at 5:46 AM, Havoc89 said:

I still remember the day we launched the first release. We had over 300k within 24 hours.

Well, personally I believe with some intelligently planned marketing, numbers such as these would still be achievable. Since the game is still in ß phase, I believe they aren't forceful with its advertisement. On a side-note, I am very curious, what strategy / plans the Senior Developers have in mind for this game in the long-term? (What milestones remain before going gold, the issue of quality assurance / support, et cetera...)

Edited by limsup

5 hours ago, Havoc89 said:

Oh... well... nothing... maybe... or something... Its something... we have one ;)

Having done my fair share of IT projects, I understand what you are saying. I hope you understand my point of view, that my curiosity remains unsatisfied. :D

Edited by limsup

Quality assurance? It's a hand-me-down engine, with some fan content, but I'm sure they're aware that gamebreaking bugs are bad, even "nuisance" bugs are bad.

Support? There's a lot of community here, as far as inter-communication, and even additional future content.

As far as specific milestones, from what I've seen, what it needed in content (maps), it got, and what it needed in gameplay evolution, it wasn't planned ahead until someone stumbled onto some idea down the line, a la veterancy, infantry armor, surrender vote, the subtle touch on mines, building armor, airstrikes, ect. I'd wager more will be discovered and added to improve the experience later on.

For example, to improve on server playercount, game playercount, and game positive experience, and throw in some flexibility with niche maps like infantry only, the map rotation could be made to use maps only when within the map's ideal playercount (valley/deck 2-20, under/mesa 16-28, field/complex 24-48, articstronghold 24-60). That kind of thing was discussed in another thread, but wasn't on any to-do until ShrewdTactician suggested he'd consider prodding at it. Speaking of, it wasn't on any list, to make the executable 64bit, to make the server-bandwidth engine-cap higher, to make the game run under it's own name instead of UDK, or to finally figure out how to fix the in-game engine-based map/mutator downloader 30-second timeout cap. It literally happened because ShrewdTactician stumbled onto it and came here to fix it for us, unexpected and out of the blue. Just like when Yosh started heavy bug-fixing and balance and gameplay-progression patches, making patches as frequent as monthy rather than as seldom as yearly, out of the blue and unexpected until one day it happened.

Do they have a list of specific milestones though? I've definitely laid eyes on a "to-do" list, they do keep one in the background, to be worked on over time.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • limsup changed the title to 50.000th download of Renegade-X (installer)