(WIP) GDI Guardian APC

MBT808

currently working on a new vehicle for the game and a first project for me for renegade-x. I'm currently working on the venerable GDI guardian apc that appeared in Tiberium Wars/Kanes Wrath. Post will get updated as the model further progresses(texturing is pretty basic, I'm not a texture artist). Any feedback is appreciated.

Update:

Model is finished, now just under going some adjustments and clean up(reducing unseen poly's to help with performance). Rigging is underway and hopefully testing can occur soon. If there is a server that would volunteer as a test bed, I would appreciate it. Also looking for someone with experience as a textures artist to complete the model. If all goes well, work on the next model(a nod vehicle) will commence as soon as the Guardian APC is fully done.

Update(2):

Sorry if there has been a lack of updates over the past week or so, I too a break from modelling for a bit and started work on the rigging lately, but I've become stuck on two small issues involving the front suspension arms and setting up the rigging for the ventilator rotor's. I'm currently waiting on a response from Havoc89 in regards to the rigging. Still looking for a texture artist in the mean time, hopefully I can find someone.

Update(3):

working on improving the model some more, adding a few more bits and peices here and there to add some more detail to the model. new screens will be posted. rigging is underway, its slow but unfortunately I'm having to learn new functions within 3ds 2017 and to rig some stuff that isn't covered in the tutorial. thanks for being patient. I will hopefully have something to show within the next week with the updated model, rigging is uncertain. still looking for someone who can do textures, if you know someone or can help in that regard, let me know.

Guardian APC hull finished.jpg

Guardian APC hull finished 2.jpg

Guardian APC hull finished 3.jpg

Edited by MBT808
added update 3
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hohndo said:

I would actually like to see this replace the current model honestly..but thats just me. I hope we see the finished product.

well, I'm hoping to get a whole range of vehicles from tib wars into Ren-X, that includes(hopefully) the avatar and the Juggernaut MK.III(those will be last after the main vehicle equivalents of renegade-X).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

As a suggestion it should be the same height as a Titan.

we'll see, although I'd probably go a bit taller but slimmer front/side profile(considering that the avatar from a war factory is about the size of a scorpion(I look forward to modelling the scorpion for Ren-X). A friend of mine actually joked that I should try and put the redeemer into Renegade-X, imagine how much a problem scaling that would be.

6 hours ago, MBT808 said:

we'll see, although I'd probably go a bit taller but slimmer front/side profile(considering that the avatar from a war factory is about the size of a scorpion(I look forward to modelling the scorpion for Ren-X). A friend of mine actually joked that I should try and put the redeemer into Renegade-X, imagine how much a problem scaling that would be.

I could imagine the head of an avatar would be the part which reaches that bit taller than the Titan.

Scorpian Tanks... Meh... I'd say the Venom would be more interesting as a replacement for the Apache. :D 5 second beam that does 12 damage per second with a fire-rate of 4.5 seconds. 

Heck, that'd be a great Apache replacement. :P

More importantly, don't worry too much about the texture for this Guardian APC model. I'm sure many are eager to see the finished model. :D 

Edited by Madkill40

• Totem Arts Staff

Is it possible to shoot from inside to the outside? Just for example, I am a LCG and I go inside the APC can I shoot to the outside with my LCG?

But good work so far:)

Edited by Luhrian

22 hours ago, Luhrian said:

Is it possible to shoot from inside to the outside? Just for example, I am a LCG and I go inside the APC can I shoot to the outside with my LCG?

But good work so far:)

the Guardian APC could do that in Tib wars, but as far as renegade-x, the mechanic would probably(I don't know exactly) have to be built from the ground up or added by the devs.

thanks, it just needs its gun/wheels and to be rigged then it should be good to go to be tested in game. If all goes well, there will be more tib wars vehicles to come.

Edited by MBT808

3 minutes ago, IllumZar said:

The model looks really sweet! :)

Do you remember TCW (TiberiumCrystalWar)? it was a mod for the original renegade with cnc3 units and buildings.

Maybe you can contact @zunnie he was one of the developers of that mod. He could give you a hint or two :)

Keep up the good work!

I've seen it but I've never played it myself. since it is the original renegade, I'm not sure how that would help with this project(considering Ren-X runs on an entirely different engine).

thanks for the support, hoping to get finished soon and move on to the next model.

6 hours ago, lupotre said:

The model is really beatuful, you made a great work!

However, i have noticed some differences with the original C&C 3 model (maybe they are voluntarily), look at these images (ignore the repair crane):

CNCTW_Guardian_APC_Diagram.png

Repair_APCm.jpg

There are differences yes. With the side triangle, I threw a vent there for some additional detail. The wheels were a bit plain on the tib wars models so I added an additional price for some more details. As far as the forward wheel covers are concerned, they don't provide enough space for the wheels to travel. On the inner peice I don't know if your referring to those three bolts, they will be textured on.

on a side note, I did think of potentially doing an MRT and AP ammo APC as maybe crate vehicles if the base guardian apc works out.

Edited by MBT808
  • Like 1

On 13/2/2017 at 7:33 PM, MBT808 said:

There are differences yes. With the side triangle, I threw a vent there for some additional detail. The wheels were a bit plain on the tib wars models so I added an additional price for some more details. As far as the forward wheel covers are concerned, they don't provide enough space for the wheels to travel. On the inner peice I don't know if your referring to those three bolts, they will be textured on.

on a side note, I did think of potentially doing an MRT and AP ammo APC as maybe crate vehicles if the base guardian apc works out.

I understand and approve! (about the inner piece i was referring to the different form)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-03-22 at 6:00 PM, Madkill40 said:

Will the gun need to be taller to avoid bullets having to clip through the vehicle if a unit stands right next the APC at a point furthest from this APC's weapon?

Or can we just not care about this minor detail and happily tell narkys to eeF'off?  

I'm not sure what your asking.

Guest Gliven

what the British man is trying to ask. Will you put the gun higher up on the apc, in order to be able to shoot infantry right up against the apc? If you are able to shoot at infantry in your face, will the bullets shoot through the apc body?

4 hours ago, Gliven said:

what the British man is trying to ask. Will you put the gun higher up on the apc, in order to be able to shoot infantry right up against the apc? If you are able to shoot at infantry in your face, will the bullets shoot through the apc body?

The gun is already really high on the model relatively. Unfortunately you can't see tons on the model, but I'm doing some tweaking to the model right now so there could be some adjustments to its elevation and depression. However, the gun being off to the left side will make it harder to combat infantry on the right, but this will be compensated I hope by having high damage/rate of fire so making it unwise to attempt to get too close.

• 1 month later...

I would like to apologize for the delay in updates/progress, I been busy with Real life matters and haven't had much time to work on the model lately or progress further on the model. I have managed to find some more time to work on the model and am trying to get more work done on it. in the mean time, here is a small update involving improvements thus far to the main gun(still unfinished, will try and update as soon as I'm able).

Guardian APC Gun(wip).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...