ORCA Steering

Terekhov

On 2/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, Madkill40 said:

It'd be nice to have the 'V' key unlock the vehicle from the camera so a player can look in a direction without their vehicle turning/pointing in that direction.

If you permanently unlocked the camera from the Orca/Apache you would no longer be able to turn the aircraft.

I'm not saying to disable the mouse altogether - rather, if the mouse and keyboard are both telling the aircraft which way to go, to ignore the mouse if they conflict.

In addition to making an unwieldy beast more driveable, this would let pilots pay attention to things that, right now, they have no way of seeing without turning that direction.

Edited by Terekhov

• 2 weeks later...

Although I find it sometimes annoying that the whole aircraft is turning when I just want to make sure that I can land safely, or whatever - I also think that it is important for gameplay to have visual feedback for enemies where the player is currently looking at.

One of the classic flaws of 3rd person camera is that you can hide behind a corner while still observing what is going on in the tunnels. Or if an engineer is trying to C4 your tank from the side. Analogously, if you see an Orca/Apache patrolling in the sky when you try to sneak into a base, you need some indication of the players field of view (at least roughly) so that you can choose the right moment to rush in unseen...

Overall, I would love to see a restriction on 3rd person cameras - also in vehicles - maybe without HUD in 3rd person view, but that would be a different topic...

Besides, I thought you can TURN your vehicle with mouse, but STRAVE (i.e. move left right without turning) using A/D? This used to be more complex in old Ren with CTRL+A/D...