Testing Session for CNC-Woods

Fffreak9999

Hi All,

Would anyone here be willing to help test CNC-Woods this coming weekend (Christmas Weekend)

This is going to be for making sure the balance is fine and no major issues and hopefully allow the developers to add to the new patch/s

Please let me know your comments and if you would be willing to assist in releasing a new map.

Thanks!

Thanks,

I will be producing a newer version just before the Weekend, which will be including a massive new vehicle path, which nearly doubles the effective space in the map.

Once all the basic meshes and landscaping is done, this will be the test version and then will update all the other little things like grass and the textures to improve the overall look.

This is more a mechanical test rather than how good something looks :)

I intend to put a full test version out on Saturday.

I still need to do minor things like lights and barrels and other obstructions, but once this is done (likely friday night), I will get it placed on the map test server and people will be able to download it.

Don't expect it to look amazing just yet, since I am only getting the gameplay of it sorted rather than making it look good (that comes later) :)

@Schmitzenbergh - If I need the help building it, I will let you know, that sounds pretty tempting. :)

Ok,

Download link is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3VJMVkzblk

The File name that you need is CNC-WoodsV2

I am going to get this put on the Testing server as soon as it is updated.

If you wish to have a quick test, then you can download the map and the INI and place them into the correct folder for a skirmish run.

Bare in mind at the time of this post, the map is still building lights, but will be done shortly.

Once build it will be uploaded. So if you don't see the file, then just wait a few minutes

I couldn't join the server due to some weird reason, so I tested the map in skirmish! I've found some things that may or may not need your attention.

Overall I must say that the map has an interesting shape. Lots of routes to take.

Overall change you should make in my opinion is: make the vehiclepaths a bit wider, especially the forest route(The one with the trees on the sides). Only a conga line of meds will fit through ;p

Also, the map looks more like a forested pit then a forest. Maybe open up the map more to a forest you can see (but not enter) to give you the impression you really are in the woods? :cool:

Infantrypaths are fine. I really like the flat rock part where you can look over the forest route :)

The infantry path can do with some less crates though... I got a crate jackpot with 4 of 'm appearing near the silo.

What are your plans with the destroyed WF? Is it some sort of midway-through point to stock up? I could buy everything at the terminals. Looks interesting. (I had the same idea for my new map :P )

But for now: some screens with my feedback!

Screen_Shot00007.png

Screen_Shot00009.png

The turret and guardtower in the screenshots have a lot of health, exceeding 100%. Is this intentional or a bug?

Screen_Shot00010.png

There is some mesh clipping on the infantry bridges. (Destroyed Wf side)

Screen_Shot00011.png

The landscape is missing a bit of ground here. (Behind destroyed WF). Looks a bit silly :rolleyes:

Screen_Shot00008.png

Perhaps you have already thought of this, but it annoys me anyway :P If you use invisible vehicle blockers for certain paths, make it look like a vehicle can't enter. Place some tank blockers or trees, that way it's clear for the player he/she can't enter. (I'm sure you haven't placed it due to this being a test build :o )

Screen_Shot00016.png

This turret seemed to have a day off, it refused to attack me... Kane won't be pleased :P

I think the landscape is blocking the turret.

Screen_Shot00012.png

The terminal is clearly GDI's but is says it's nod's. Perhaps change it to the nod version, or a generic version(Look at Ruud's map CNC-Crash Site, he has a generic one)

Screen_Shot00017.png

This is what I meant with conga lines of meds. There is no way more then one tank can fit. Widen it or make only small vehicles enter. If this is your intention, keep it but meds and lights will be annoyed. Especially if the cliffs get rocks.

Screen_Shot00014.png

Screen_Shot00015.png

This is a big one. I had the same problem on Grassyknoll. Ioning or nukeing 2 buildings is no fun. There needs to be more space in between the buildings so an ion or nuke can't destroy two buildings. Field has it too @ the Hon and As. I really dislike it :( Easy fix though. (Although, it's quite an achievement if a player succeeds)

This is my feedback. Of course the map is in it's early days so some of these "bugs" may be due to the map not being done. But then again, you can easily miss some of these small things in the long run.

You're well on your way to making a nice map. Can't wait to see the map when it's more fleshed out. If you need any help just pm me or something.

Keep 'm coming!

@Davidbeast - The Ion to the Strip from above should now be resolved, it will more than likely now require you to be near the AS to beacon it, as I have moved the rocks back a fair bit.

Bridges not level - Resolved, made it slightly smoother in terms of transitioning.

@ Schmitzenbergh

1.Make the vehiclepaths a bit wider, especially the forest route(The one with the trees on the sides). Only a conga line of meds will fit through ;p - This should be fine, you can fit a couple of meds side by side without issue, and I have tested that you "Can" get 3 meds side by side, but it is a bit cramped.

2. Also, the map looks more like a forested pit then a forest. Maybe open up the map more to a forest you can see (but not enter) to give you the impression you really are in the woods?

- This will be the case, I plan to place a large number of trees in the background when it is live, although you will still have the stonewall on the short vehicle route with the tiberium fields, it just look more like a forest.

3 I really like the flat rock part where you can look over the forest route :)

The infantry path can do with some less crates though... I got a crate jackpot with 4 of 'm appearing near the silo.

- This will not be as common in live play since there will be more chests, and only so many will be active at any one time.

4. What are your plans with the destroyed WF? Is it some sort of midway-through point to stock up? I could buy everything at the terminals. Looks interesting. (I had the same idea for my new map :P )

- I have something planned for it, but it depends on if I can get the kismet to work. I may grab some people who are good with Kismet to assist with this though.

5. he turret and guardtower in the screenshots have a lot of health, exceeding 100%. Is this intentional or a bug?

- Intentional, I intend for them to have a building health like bonus since there is one per entrance, there isn't a lot of defense in these maps and I am forcing the teams to pay attention to the health of the turrets.

The maxiumum health is about 150% but it can only be repaired up to 100%, it will not be able to be restored past the 100% marker, so think of it as armor plating that is permanently destroyed after taking damage.

6. There is some mesh clipping on the infantry bridges. (Destroyed Wf side) - Bug - Now fixed in a new version (to be released soon).

7. The landscape is missing a bit of ground here. (Behind destroyed WF). Looks a bit silly - Bug - Resolved (see above note about version)

8. Perhaps you have already thought of this, but it annoys me anyway :P If you use invisible vehicle blockers for certain paths, make it look like a vehicle can't enter. Place some tank blockers or trees, that way it's clear for the player he/she can't enter. (I'm sure you haven't placed it due to this being a test build :o )

- They used to have tank blockers, although I am going to place something there to make it look like they shouldn't be going there.

9. This turret seemed to have a day off, it refused to attack me... Kane won't be pleased :P

I think the landscape is blocking the turret.

- Solved, this is fixed due to a relocation of the turret and flattening of the landscape.

10. The terminal is clearly GDI's but is says it's nod's. Perhaps change it to the nod version, or a generic version(Look at Ruud's map CNC-Crash Site, he has a generic one) - This will be solved by release, this was done to help facilitate the testing phase, I just copied the PT from the GDI one and changed the actor for a Nod Actor.

11. This is what I meant with conga lines of meds. There is no way more then one tank can fit. Widen it or make only small vehicles enter. If this is your intention, keep it but meds and lights will be annoyed. Especially if the cliffs get rocks.

- Welcome to Death Alley (Aptly named im sure :) ), this is intentionally meant to be a gamble zone, where an enemy can easily kill you but if you are uncontested the entire way then the enemy will be struck by a very fast moving rush.

12. This is a big one. I had the same problem on Grassyknoll. Ioning or nukeing 2 buildings is no fun. There needs to be more space in between the buildings so an ion or nuke can't destroy two buildings. Field has it too @ the Hon and As. I really dislike it :( Easy fix though. (Although, it's quite an achievement if a player succeeds)

- Requires more testing, but this should be fixed, I have also added wooden crates to the middle of the buildings to avoid that spot. Will test this later.

Thanks for helping me test the map :)

• 1 month later...

Little late, but I just realized this map is almost done, but this thread isn't the maps thread is it? Should I move it to WIP FFFreak9999? Or should I leave it here and we can use it FOR the map's official thread?

Anyway, feedback from last testing session:

1) The infantry path in middle, is clearly able to fit a tank and has no visible barricades. Easy fix, just listing.

2) The infantry path on the side leading up the narrow edge, has blocking volume or barricade, can't remember, but I do remember it being relatively easy to drive up the side and bypass. Needs a wall-like blocking volume covering across the whole way like the middle infantry path already has.

3) Map testing session didn't really do justice to how balanced it is, but without base defenses Nod has a strong use for their Stanks and Flamers, while only very little of a LOS for shelling with artillery from decent range, while GDI also benefits from mid-range of LOS at base entrance and lack of defenses to just stroll in and wreck up the place. Without a real game to test it, I can assume this benefits Nod more, but I accept this map nonetheless as it won't end in stalemates at least, and should last a little longer than an average game of TrainingYard (not a bad thing but definitely a unique feature of a map).

Yeah i can't find the official feedback topic, but... The map feels like it's nearly done, except:

- the map can use some decoration in some places, cause now it feels empty

- the tunnels are cool, but maybe they should have some more functionality?

- the WF near the tunnels is kinda pointless right now, cause vehicles get delivered to your own base. I think it should have a more 'usefull' function than just a refill station.

Overall I really liked the map, give it some more details like boxes, abandoned vehicles and so on and I think it can be released.

New points:

Need some sort of blocking volume to stop characters jumping on the rocks near the Nod base and getting on top of the infantry bridges and gaining access to the map wall boundary.

Inside the tunnel-bridges it goes pitch black and I cannot see anything at the U bends making it difficult to navigate through.

The bridges don't connect to the mid-section cliff 'island' seamlessly, i.e. part of the windows are visible at the end connection points. This doesn't look or feel as if it is intentional.

The GDI base is very open and flat and lacks obstacles and places for Nod SBH to hide... more trees, rocks, caves, like X-Mountain & Islands and varied terrain like Lakeside needed.

Here;s my feedback;

Overall good map, but I think you really need to add some lights in, it's almost to dark I think.

oMeTHgJ.jpg

In the tunnel system, these 2 lights supposed to be red I think? one is pink.

gIwoE6Z.jpg

Crates in the landscape near destroyed WF (theres lots of barrels there in the landscape too)

CeWOsFY.jpg

Still need to add the MIC to this

ybizhiG.jpg

The tiberium fields need a light, maybe you can also add the decal in there that shows some cracks? The tiberium supposed to emit light.. at the moment it's not really doing anything. Maybe also add a smoke emitter here, and heat?

5YQPhVe.jpg

The bunker there sits on quite a vertical piece of grass.. maybe add some rocks here for the looks?

Also, notice the white-ish stuff on the ground there, I don't know where that's coming from, maybe you should check that out.

uMkPbwf.jpg

Near the destroyed WF you can get tanks onto the inf path, add vehicle blocking volume here

Also notice the landscape, it needs a bit of smoothing here

4Fe4uGC.jpg

I can get the APC onto the inf path. Add a vehicle blocking volume here

• 1 month later...

It is almost done, I am in the process of fine tuning the landscape, adding foliage like grass.

It will likely be ready in the very near future but I will put it through at least one more map test before release (since I have changed something that might have introduced an issue so I will need to have people find some bugs)

Otherwise the map is pretty much done