Game development [Dev answer would be nice]

theUnnamed

Hi,

I'm very interessting in game development as a hobby and

have skills in c++,c#,java, directX, openGL, photoshop (a little bit) and

as a mechanical engineering student in CAD.

I also developed a engine on my own but realised that it's not the way i wanted to go..

I see the RenegadeX SDK as a starting point.

But you're more skilled and can answer the question:

How to start? Which engine to use etc..?

I also have a problem with the RenX sdk.

For some reason if i start udk.exe it starts the game.

Edited by Guest

I'll quickly throw my 2 cents although I'm not really qualified to answer.

I think it is up to you to decide whether you want to start making simpler games from scratch by yourself or mod RenX. Personally I've decided to learn UnrealEngine just so I could mod RenX. However if you are purely interested in learning UnrealEngine to make your own games then simply getting a book on how to do so might be a faster route.

Make sure to browse through Unreal Developer Network as it has all the technical information you need.

If you want to start learning how to make games by modding RenX then I can recommend:

a) Get Unreal-X Editor for writing code

b) Download UnCodeX

UnCodeX is useful because it allows you search entire sourcecode for specific phrases. When modding RenX you will often find that one functionality is fragmented across several files so traditional text editors just won't do.

• Totem Arts Staff

to the OP:

Start with Unreal Engine 4 or Unity and build something no matter how small with it.

You can mod Ren-X if you want but you're working with an outdated engine and Uscript which has been done away with in UE 4 in favour of Blueprint / C++ the latter is more relevant for a career in games anyways.

• Totem Arts Staff

Nielsen hit it right on the head ... but i might as well ad to it ... it dont matter what engine you decide to use ... passion is key .. if there is a game you love to play (that is moddable) start there ... get some key skills in what ever area you what to get into (mapping, coding, animation and every thing inbetween)

this is just a hobby for me ... but it all started off as i wanted to make a game better

passion will take you a long way in life