Marathon - Sudden Death

I like marathon games that go back and forth without an actual winner.

Reminds me of the 3-days Under fight on original Ren. Go to sleep saturday night, wake up, login sunday midday, continue the fight, same map, same base layout (no destructions or just the WF/Strip) and different map-timer (add 9 hours to logout time)

It wasn't back then. Now though, Matches are preferred around 15-40 minutes.

There should be a more natural way to end the game though, as base defense disabling is essentially "whoever's tanks are outside your base at that moment wins", from experience. No different than score win at end of AOW.

APB never lasted as long because of different game mechanics.

Alternatively, Mobas also don't last as long because of score-based increasingly higher damage. I played on a game of Complex the other day that Nod made it to 50k score in 40 minutes. The artillery pointwhore was real. If score was normal for each team before 25k, and after 25k if every 1k increase damage 1%, then by 50k the damage of everything would be 25% higher. A lot more lethal to structures, a lot more lethal to tanks and infantry but that is optional technically it could only apply to buildings. Since both teams get it, close teams can get 20% damage against 25% damage which is reasonable buff for a comeback chance.

Then there is the suggestion of what if buildings can only be repaired half-way and if damaged 60% then 10% cannot be repaired, leaving your building at 90% for the rest of the game. Makes it where if a building is damaged 70%, an engineer could kill it the rest of the game, an advantage that is not given, but earned, but still softens it up to end more reliably eventually.

"Then there is the suggestion of what if buildings can only be repaired half-way and if damaged 60% then 10% cannot be repaired, leaving your building at 90% for the rest of the game. Makes it where if a building is damaged 70%, an engineer could kill it the rest of the game, an advantage that is not given, but earned, but still softens it up to end more reliably eventually."

That's a bit equal to the suggestion making it impossible to rapair buildings after a certain periode of time which i would most prefer!

"Then there is the suggestion of what if buildings can only be repaired half-way and if damaged 60% then 10% cannot be repaired, leaving your building at 90% for the rest of the game. Makes it where if a building is damaged 70%, an engineer could kill it the rest of the game, an advantage that is not given, but earned, but still softens it up to end more reliably eventually."

That's a bit equal to the suggestion making it impossible to rapair buildings after a certain periode of time which i would most prefer!

Not quite. Instead of "starts at this time", it is "starts at game start". Basically, any permanent damage, has to be earned. You don't just turtle for 50 minutes and it is given to you. You can earn it as fast as you are willing to make the effort to wreck some shtuff.

• Totem Arts Staff

Still voting on a tech tree that slowly ups the lethality of everything as the game progresses, eventually pushing the amount it takes to kill a building down more notches than one can simply out-repair. AKA, let's let the offense have some sort of advantage. Right now it pays more to turtle in Ren than anything. The only bad thing about it is getting bored; QFT

Still voting on a tech tree that slowly ups the lethality of everything as the game progresses, eventually pushing the amount it takes to kill a building down more notches than one can simply out-repair. AKA, let's let the offense have some sort of advantage. Right now it pays more to turtle in Ren than anything. The only bad thing about it is getting bored; QFT

I agree with this too, if there were credit upgrades then a certain amount of turtling could lead to a "time to strike". The later it is, the more you risk losing a building first from an accident. The earlier it is, the less tools at your disposal. You could add tibsun units as an advancement (and make them a little stronger), or scrin units, or additional sidearms, or an unstoppable superweapon that damages structures heavily without actually needing to infiltrate or having anything to disarm.

Agree with yosh. Tech tree/upgrades/something to increase a teams power is the way to go. Convert the game to a single game mode that only ends by base destruction, but add methods to allow a team to finish the game. Should solve the whole AOW/Marathon split too. Maybe convert the point system/tweak it to buy things with. Lots of work to do something like that though.

Building armor is cool, but I don't know how much it will solve. The main problem of stalemates isn't the max hp of the building, it's the 6 hotties inside repairing all the time. I guess it would make some maps brutal like whiteout. 50% max hp means less time to get to it to repair. Just switch building targets and you'll get something eventually. All building armor does is give less time to react to attacks, guess that's not a bad thing.

This game is based on an RTS, so I would love to see more strategy added. I think renegade has lots of untapped potential. Commander mod is a really interesting step in the right way. Now we just need more things to use for strategies.

Instead of forcing the game to end after xxx time, I would much prefer to see game mechanics that help you win for doing well. If a team is 15k points ahead (not that points mean much), then they probably deserve something to help them.

Bananas you said RenX is based on a RTS game.

Based on this I made some thoughts about it..

If you would stick on the real CnC there would be a few changes to make:

1st:

In the original CnC the repair rate of a building is fixed.

In RenX this could be introduced in RenX by a maxium fixed repair rate.

e.g. maximum 3 hotties can repair a building.

2nd:

In the original CnC repairing a building costs money and if your account

has 0$ repairing stops....

This could be introduced in RenX by a global account where e.g. a commander has acces to

and repairing is financed by the global credits.

Or introduce a new global currency for repairs which is generated by a building like a silo....

P.s.

In any case a tech tree like yosh56 said would be realy cool!! I miss the RTS feeling which comes with it!!

But I think it shouldn't be the way to solve the endless game problem.....

It would be like a race between upgrading weapons or armour..... ( cold war like ;) )