How to manually install maps in Renegade X

Handepsilon

• Totem Arts Staff

Ah, the custom maps.... Many has managed to figure out how to install these. Here, I will try helping the minority who hasn't managed to get it right

1. Open up the compressed packages

2. Open up your game directory, to UDKGame folder

3. Extract the files in this manner

a. Files that ends with .udk goes to UDKGame/CookedPC/Maps/RenX

b. Files that ends with .upk goes to UDKGame/CookedPC/RenX. From then on, most people will tell you to put it into the Environments folder. Do so, unless the creator tells you to place it somewhere else

c. Files that ends with .u only goes to UDKGame/CookedPC. During online play, it is not necesary because the files are usually small enough to download. But you need this for Skirmish

d. Do NOT replace .ini files. This will change your settings. Instead look for any changes necessary and place it on your own .ini file under the same filename

That's it. You're done! Now you can go open this map by clicking F5 then type open [mapname]. Don't forget to include the 'CNC-' prefix as well

• Totem Arts Staff

FAQ

Q : The custom map doesn't appear in my Skirmish Menu

A : You have not set the UDKmenu.ini file to include the corresponding map. It is a matter of Copy and Paste, but for simplicity sake, just click F5 and type 'open [mapname]' replace [mapname] with your custom map name, including the 'cnc-' prefix

Q : I get an Ambiguous Package warning

A : You put 2 same files in different places. Check your game directory and delete the file that has been wrongly put

Q : Some textures are missing and I can't play online

A : You either didn't install the package, or you have an ambiguous package issue or your package is outdated, OR you have placed the packages in the wrong place. Though the later is not very likely, always check if you have installed everything properly

Q : I see UDKGame folder in the zip file

A : Some people like me tries to save you the trouble on placing the files on the right place one by one. Now all you need to do is insert the UDKGame folder to the game directory. Have it 'overwrite' the folder

Q : The UDKGame folder is inside another folder that is not related to the game's own folder.

A : Only extract the UDKGame folder. Skip the parent folder

Q : I'm stuck in the loading screen

A : Your game is precompiling the shaders of the map. It only happens the first time you play it. In online game, you might get disconnected once. Simply rejoin

• 1 month later...

Q : The custom map doesn't appear in my Skirmish Menu

A : You have not set the UDKmenu.ini file to include the corresponding map. It is a matter of Copy and Paste, but for simplicity sake, just click F5 and type 'open [mapname]' replace [mapname] with your custom map name, including the 'cnc-' prefix

Copied and pasted multiple times and it still won't show up. Am I supposed to copy and paste something for ImageList too?