Would it ever be possible.

RelentlessChaos

To experiment with new buildings?

I was thinking of this for an example) Communications Center.

If this building gets destroyed than the ability to use a map and press "q" to communicate with team (aka that building needs repair etc) is lost.

That's not necessary, but you get the idea of experimenting.

Do you have any ideas as to what would work in Renegade when it comes to C&C buildings?

Comms Center and such were found in custom Renegade maps. When destroyed radar would go away usually. Construction Yard too, made buildings auto-repair when it was alive. Service depot is found in glacier, I think more maps need it. Saw a few with Helipad but it never did anything.

Adding new building is a lot of work, even now when the way to do them is known. They wouldn't add much to gameplay, too. All I can see being possibly added is repair pads, and even that just in a form simillar to turrets or guard towers. The problem is: what functions would additional buildings cover? Comms Center could disable spotting and minimap when destroyed, but a building just for that? Advanced PP is pointless. Advanced Comms Center and Temple of Nod could disable usage of beacons, but that also really isn't a niche to be covered. BTW, GLHF modelling the temple.

Additional buildings could add quite a bit of functions. Having buildable support/defense structures like turrets or repair pads in designated spots in your base, for example. A comm center could make it so that enemy units are temporarily seen on your radar when in your base.

I've personally always liked the concept of having the hon/barracks and wf/airstrip work quite differently. Make it into faction buildings, with one having advanced characters and low vehicles, and the other having advanced vehicles and low (tier 2, including hotwire/technician) characters. When one of those buildings die, you lose the ability to purchase those units, rather than not being able to purchase vehicles at all or characters at all, as it works now. Just an edit that could really mix things up a bit.

I always actually thought the comm center would be a nice touch for gameplay, either scrampling radar or losing radar on destruction, perhaps even something like disabling airstrikes or even disabling buying air units on destruction. Maybe it could also disable using beacons.

Either way I think it would have to be done in a mod though, as the buildings are pretty much set for now :)