Is the Volt Auto Rifle OP?

epicelite

Is it just me, or does it do WAY more damage then in original Renegade?

It can take out vehicles faster then anything else, like in seconds. I think the only thing that out DPS's the VAR is a sniper headshot. I'm personally using the thing and thinking to myself "Man this is totally ridiculous!" as I take out a flame tank like its nothing. The only reason I pick any other weapon is range.

No, not even close to overpowered.

The Volt Rifle's range always was a severe handicap. It runs out of ammo like crazy and requires constant line of sight to do its damage, making it far weaker than other weapons on the field. Effective in rushes in some maps, but the range is still very crippling.

The gun is at its best as a base defense weapon, and even then only against actual invasions.

Its not anywhere close to overpowered. It gives a fighting chance against rushes.

It doesn't outclass the other 1000$ weapons. The PIC/Railgun is a FAR better field weapon. The case for the Ramjet doesn't even have to be made.

If nothing else, its the weakest of the 3, by quite a bit.

To expand upon its weakness, the fact that you need constant line of sight to deal good damage makes it quite weaker because it makes you ridiculously vulnerable to counter fire, particularily snipers.

A PIC/Railgun can jump in and out of cover and harass very effectively, and it can do it all day because it has more ammo and can deal out more damage overall before a refill.

The PIC/Railgun has more range, as well, which also makes the PIC/Railgun a better weapon to keeping vehicles at bay (but far worse at defending rushes)

I'm not even done yet. The Volt Rifle was severely nerfed by the (AWFUL) automatic nerf that is generally part of Renegade X. The spread and the knockbacks have zero effect on the PIC-Railgun and they are just direct weapon that have no issues aiming.

The Volt Rifle however suffers greatly from those and it makes it surprisingly weaker against infantry unless you're very close to them.

Not only am I waiting for a buff that removes ALL spread & knockback from automatic weapons, but it would still not make the Volt Rifle a better general pick than either of the other 2.

I'm not saying it should be buffed further than that, but it is far from overpowered. I hope you learned something here.

IMO the volt rifle isn't as underpowered as you say it is, in defense it actually isn't bad as you can sustain it's ammo hunger by refilling in base, it's better against infantry than the PIC/Rail unless you have really good aim since Rail/PIC is burst, I would have to agree that it's range is it's severe handicap though. It could use a buff, and the others maybe a small nerf. I see Volt as being the jack-of-all trades of the 1000s being able to do good damage against vehicles and infantry, PIC/Rail being the antitank, and Ramjet being the anti infantry. Currently though the Ramjet does good damage to vehicles as well. I personally think the Ramjet should deal very weak vehicle damage, but other damages remain the same, PIC/Rail returning to the 1 shot 1 long reload, but increase the damage to make it deal similar DPS to make it weaker against infantry, and the Volt's range increased and spread decreased a bit.

• Totem Arts Staff

Um, no.

It's a DPS weapon so requires at least some exposure on your part, making you an easy target for the ridiculous AOE tank damage currently in RenX.

Honestly its range isn't that much of a handicap at all...I always thought it had too much >_>

It can't sustain the field, but it DOES do well at breaking into it. I covered VAR rushing in a posted guide, and the numbers there are kind of staggering. They're almost as potent as flame tanks and have more range while taking up less space.

The VAR's spread/recoil is barely noticeable, and only serves to make it feel like you're not firing a nerf gun. It can deal with infantry easy at any range from my experience, it's just always easier to aim at a target that's 10ft away.

As has been said, it's a good defence weapon, and a good rush weapon, but it can't sustain itself in the field. However, grab a friend and tag-team the field with VARs. Just 2 of them is downright overpowering, but not nearly overpowered.

Besides...the VAR has the single most useless thing on this entire game: that secondary fire.

• Totem Arts Staff
It doesn't do more direct damage (afaik, maybe it's a little more), it just seem like it has a larger "AOE", it's hitscan but the width of the shaft seems really really big so it's really easy to hit people with it

Definitely the 2nd most efficient weapon for kills after 500sniper or carbine

If you were referring to my post, I meant the AOE of tanks, not the VAR. They even upped the splash of tanks MORE in beta 3...'cuz you know, screw infantry.

Personally I'll take a VAR over the carbine... other than the cost, it does kill faster.

• Totem Arts Staff

See? This is why I love Patch! He's so OP and nobody realizes it. Excellent damage on all fronts, good sustain, great range (especially if you are good at leading) all for only 450 credits!

I wouldn't say excellent. There is an infantry weapon out there that can do anything Patch can do significantly better than he does it. What Patch has going is that he CAN do pretty much anything. That doesn't make him any more OP than the Medium tank.

• Totem Arts Staff

I'd call a 450 priced gun that can take out tanks from long (invisibly limited) distance as OP

Regarding Voltie, Jake's got a point. My Mendoza blocks GDI invasion on X-Mountain for about 10 minutes without dying. It pierces through tanks like butter.

But once enemies starts rushing infantries that is agile enough, using Volt rifle to stop such rushes would be an achievement of itself. Small hitbox, ridiculous recoil, dead fast ammo depletion... it is not a good combination. The range is not at all visible, as I could hit far just quite fine. However, when you start using volt rifles on a bunch of infantries... you're just Renegading it wrong