[Mutator] Timed Disable Of Advanced Defenses for Marathon

RypeL

Mutator to disable Obelisk and AGT after x seconds. I was asked to do this for Marathon servers and especially to better the situation on Field.

Download: http://www.speedyshare.com/fHVpN/UDKMap ... isable.zip

How to install:

1) Move the RxTimedDefenceDisable.u into the Renegade X\UDKGame\CookedPC folder

2) Move the UDKMapSpecificAdvDefDisable.ini in the Renegade X\UDKGame\Config folder

3) Open the UDKMapSpecificAdvDefDisable.ini and adjust the AdvDefDisableTime to your likings (the value is in seconds)

4) add "?mutator=RxTimedDefenceDisable.Rx_Mutator_TimedDefenceDisable" to the starting command of your server.

So it should look something like this:

"udk server CNC-Walls_Flying?game=RenX_Game.Rx_Game?mutator=RxTimedDefenceDisable.Rx_Mutator_TimedDefenceDisable"

You can add multiple mutators by concating them with "," like:

"?mutator=RxTimedDefenceDisable.Rx_Mutator_TimedDefenceDisable,RxHarvMod.Rx_Mutator_SmarterHarv"

Players will get a message informing them about the defense disable when it happens.

I added the Sourcecode in case someone wants to see how it was done and how a mutator for Renegade X can look like.

This worked today after 95 minutes in field. I must say, disabling the defenses pretty much gave the game to Nod. Half the GDI team left the game because of how imbalanced it was.

Raining nukes, SBH stealing vehicles, SBH C4, Arty spamming, flamer/stank rushes, etc. Also, it's not really fair how Nod has 2 turrets and GDI has nothing. The turrets worked great in picking out infiltrators. Plus, with 65 mines, coming in through the tunnels was extremely difficult for GDI.

Nod was held in their base the whole game by endless waves of mammys and meds, but as soon as the AGT went offline, Nod sure had fun ripping apart GDI. The bar quickly got nuked, 10+ vehicles were stolen, and GDI was forced to camp in their base for the last agonizing 5 minutes.

Well, I guess that is a fun way to make the map worse. Why are we looking for ways to circumvent Marathon? Apparently, this community can't handle it. Heck, if you vote for Field of all maps in a Marathon what are you expecting?

And yes, this will always be a Nod sided solution. Or say you blow up their defense before it goes away, the advantage just goes away after a while. Which is again much more of a bonus for Nod.

No offense, I just don't get this. I get you did it as an answer to a request but the request sucked. Lets stop pretending, why not just ditch the Marathon servers if people don't like it.

The maplist isn't hardcoded. Marathon servers can remove Field from their servers if it's such a big problem. (Which imo, would be a better solution than turning off Adv Defence structures as it's quite obviously Nod sided doing so.)

Well this is where it get's interesting, With regards for the map not being fair for GDI on field, i tend to agree, Nod has the turrets, plus if an arty get's behind that gdi bunker and has good support around it, then gdi is pretty much locked in there base, unless they can force there way out, although saying that if half the GDI team left because base defense went offline, then how pathetic is that? they stayed there for however long it was continuing on a stale map, but soon as defense go off, boom 1 building goes and then they leave?. That's the problem with majority of RenX players regardless of which map they play, soon as a building is gone they instantly leave and rejoin in attempt to go on other team.

This mutator was just released and it's pretty much just been added, so put it down to trial and error? If nobody wanted to play a marathon server why on earth would you join a marathon server kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? Kinda like ordering loads of greasy food and asking for a diet coca cola, makes no bloody sense.

This was done in order to experiment. If we want to make the game better we need to allow us to make experiments and need to allow us to make mistakes that we can learn from.

If this is a failure and if this really favors Nod much more then the serverowner can just remove the mutator again or just remove the effect from field or whatnot. EKT asked for this mutator and obviously EKT is a major player in renx right now and we should help each other. This is not part of the official beta 4 featureset yet, this is so far just an experiment and if this really just has this nod favoringeffects im sure EKT will bring the mutator down again soon. But it should be given a bit of time. Maybe the GDI defnders just need to adapt a bit. I mean other maps dont have AGT aswell and have much bigger bases.

Btw the reason given why this was wanted is cause EMP making rushes in field nearly kmpossible if there are defenders who know what they are doing, wich is still an unsolved issue and the reason why i was against EMP aswell.

I give up really, I love long games but some people bitched when for example GDI owns nod on field and they have the Air left but no money, then GDI decide its a good idea to Nubjet for an hour, this would have been great for that.

Alas maybe make it into a rcon command then a mod can disable the defences in the right set of circumstances.

I've removed the mod.

Make this a crate effect in vanilla.

I second this. I like the improvements to the crates! But they could still use for some more interesting drops.

This worked today after 95 minutes in field. I must say, disabling the defenses pretty much gave the game to Nod. Half the GDI team left the game because of how imbalanced it was.

Field has some balance issues in general. With base defenses, it is near impossible to hold field and tunnel versus mammoths. Without, puts GDI too defensively; and they die a slow turtling death.

No offense, I just don't get this. I get you did it as an answer to a request but the request sucked. Lets stop pretending, why not just ditch the Marathon servers if people don't like it.

You always have an interesting way of contributing to discussions, Jake.

This was done in order to experiment. If we want to make the game better we need to allow us to make experiments and need to allow us to make mistakes that we can learn from.

If this is a failure and if this really favors Nod much more then the serverowner can just remove the mutator again or just remove the effect from field or whatnot. EKT asked for this mutator and obviously EKT is a major player in renx right now and we should help each other. This is not part of the official beta 4 featureset yet, this is so far just an experiment and if this really just has this nod favoringeffects im sure EKT will bring the mutator down again soon. But it should be given a bit of time. Maybe the GDI defnders just need to adapt a bit. I mean other maps dont have AGT aswell and have much bigger bases.

Btw the reason given why this was wanted is cause EMP making rushes in field nearly kmpossible if there are defenders who know what they are doing, wich is still an unsolved issue and the reason why i was against EMP aswell.

Thank you for the ongoing efforts. As you can see, the community is pretty dedicated and they may not be able to criticize a change in the most tactful way...

• 2 weeks later...

I played today again on field. And it is major boring. Always the same thing. GDI gets controlled of the map. Now they get controll of silo and the they destroy the Nod-Harvester time after time. Finally Nod has realy no income while GDI gets more and more. So the tunnels are now completly full of advance GDI characters.

So if Nod doesnt lunch a successfully nuclaer strike in the first 10 minutes of the game, it will end in a endless siege of the Nod-base without any changes. And thats not epic. Thats boring.

One big problem in field is the position of the silo. Actually the silo should bring more movement into the game. But on field its nearly impossble for Nod to hold it for a long time. Because there is always 1,2 or more(!) mammuts next to it. How i said: douple income for GDI :mad:

So in my opinion: the silo absolutly doesn't work on field and should me removed.

• 4 months later...

Thank you, appreciated =)

2) Move the UDKMapSpecificAdvDefDisable.ini in the Renegade X\UDKGame\Config folder

3) Open the UDKMapSpecificAdvDefDisable.ini and adjust the AdvDefDisableTime to your likings (the value is in seconds)

the .ini files are missing, do i just go ahead and create the .ini files, or once loaded will it automatically add them into the config?

• 2 years later...

Surely the mutator is more practical, since it can be controlled far easier rather than having to use kismet in a map?

It also allows for some more interesting uses since you can operate an adv base defenceless timed game on older maps without having to alter them?

Also he wants to know what the actual code is since he doesn't know how it works 

Attached are some old and non-functioning classes I had written for a mutator on my server some time ago. These used to be included in RenX_ExampleMutators but were removed because at some point they broke and weren't worth fixing.

This isn't quite what @RypeL had attached, but should serve a decent enough reference. It used to add an RCON command and timer to turn off base defenses.

SuddenDeath.uc

Rx_Rcon_Command_SuddenDeath.uc

• Like 1