Basic and Advanced Defense Strategies

MajorLunaC

*There just has to be an official tutorial on basic and advanced defense, the most important and difficult part of the game.

This goes out to all you players that don't know how to defend, don't defend properly, don't defend at all, or don't realize just how hard defenders have to work to keep the base intact while everyone else just casually tries to mess around with the enemy.

*Mining

- THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT DEFENSE MECHANISM IN THIS GAME. Many technicians, myself included, run around the base in a frenzy, mining every entrance as fast as possible as soon as we reach 350 credits. And then, for the rest of the game, we run around the base in a frenzy, RE-mining every entrance as fast as possible. All too often, this ridiculous burden is ALL placed on 1 single technician. Without us devoted techs, you would lose the game real quick, although that seems to happen anyway because oftentimes, few others even repair.

- MAX 4 mines per entrance! + 2 mines per window inside the Hand of Nod (one close, one farther). Any spare ones go on ramps or (at 80 mine limit) even rooftops.

- [EDIT] HIDE the mines! If other technicians or engineers can see them, they WILL be disarmed. The mines are sticky, so stick them on the inside of the door edges where they can't be seen at all, or at the top of the door. Put them around corners, behind edges, etc. However, mines currently don't work well when hidden, as they do less damage and detonate early. PLACE MINES MOSTLY ON THE GROUND, as they do MUCH more damage, but know that Techs WILL disarm them.

- If you see mines missing from an entrance or below max (32/45), BE A TECH NOW! Mine PLEASE! You can always get a vehicle (all good vehicles need a good tech inside). WATCH AND LISTEN FOR mines going off or being disarmed! REPLACE THEM ASAP!

- NEVER MINE JUST THE ENTRANCE TO THE ENTIRE BASE! A row or two of mines along the entrance to the entire base will destroy nothing and acts only once! It is ALWAYS a bad idea! It also wastes mines that are needed elsewhere!

- You can always use a vehicle to get around the base faster, but preferably a low-power one (buggy/humvee) in case it gets stolen. Make sure to NEVER stand in front or back of your vehicle when it is empty (bad place to be if stolen)!

*Map Start

- RUSH the enemy base with shotgunners and grenadiers. Remember that you can change your timed C4 to grenades, which also damage vehicles!

- DEFEND the base area and buildings with shotgunners and grenadiers.

- EXPECT and be ready to take down up to 2 APCs filled with bombing engineers! Remember that many donate to 1 person at map start to buy APCs.

*Vehicles

- Make sure to NEVER stand in front or back of your vehicle when it is empty (bad place to be if stolen)!

- You should be using Engineer or preferably a Technician if you hope to ever repair your vehicle.

- At least 1 vehicle should always be defending and guarding your base, watching for vehicles and infantry in the base, patrolling constantly around the whole base preferably.

*Beacon Placed in Your Base!

- Nod has nukes. If you are GDI and a nuke was placed, it IS in YOUR base! (Always check!)

- Be careful because the beacon beeping sound is a bit non-directional! Find the building it's loudest from, running around a bit and turning around some.

- Announce where the Beacon is with point + Q on the building! The higher the priority, the more you spam it!

- GET an engineer, technician, shotgunner, or grenadier NOW! BEST to have engineer or tech, but people MUST cover them while they disarm the beacon! Be prepared to SUPER-QUICKLY take down a Stealth Black Hand, Technician, Engineer, AND up to a Medium Tank (usually an APC).

- EVERYONE even near your base MUST rush to the beacon NOW! Nothing else matters except a heavily bombarded building that MUST have constant and immediate repair (1 tech or 2 engineers is usually more than enough to keep it up).

*Announce Accordingly

- If a base needs repairs, use point + Q accordingly. 80-90% = 2 calls. 60-70% = 3+ Calls. <60% = SPAM LIKE CRAZY!

- Enemy Beacon: Locate properly and exactly, then point + Q SPAM LIKE CRAZY on the building!

- DO NOT spam "I need repairs!" You can announce it, but maybe once every 15-30 seconds . You should have an engineer or technician already if you have a vehicle. Get out only at safe locations anyway, because Stealth Black Hands are always lurking everywhere.

Edited by Guest

I agree with almost every point you made. The only thing I think might not work so well is putting remotes on your vehicles. Don't get me wrong it's a good idea, but remotes count towards the mine limit. On a server with a low mine limit this could take up valuable slots. Right now the lowest mine limit that I've come across is 45 so one vehicle, like a humvee, should be okay to C4 seeing there are 3-5 mine slot spares. So if the defenders only have one vehicle (not a mammy) then C4ing it should still be okay. But if the servers do change the mine limit to something lower than that, than this tactic can't be used (at least I think it can't).

I agree with almost every point you made. The only thing I think might not work so well is putting remotes on your vehicles. Don't get me wrong it's a good idea, but remotes count towards the mine limit. On a server with a low mine limit this could take up valuable slots. Right now the lowest mine limit that I've come across is 45 so one vehicle, like a humvee, should be okay to C4 seeing there are 3-5 mine slot spares. So if the defenders only have one vehicle (not a mammy) then C4ing it should still be okay. But if the servers do change the mine limit to something lower than that, than this tactic can't be used (at least I think it can't).
- ALWAYS put enough Remote C4 to destroy your vehicle when you buy it, in case it will ever be stolen by the enemy! (Minimum 2, Mammoth needs at least 6!) Also, make sure to NEVER stand in front or back of your vehicle when it is empty (bad place to be if stolen)!

Putting C4's on your vehicle is ok, but only on a humvee or APC patrolling the base, assaulting vehicles should not do this (Read Gerbil Tube's comment) Vehicles stolen in the field is darn anoying, but hey, in a team effort, a few engineers/technicians/hotwires are there to repair the vehicles on the fly, drivers dont need to get out. e.g. in a 12v12 match: 4 defenders 8 attackers, of which 2 are repairing the assaulting 6 vehicles. When the opposing team has such high pressure, they put more resources (aka engineers/technicians) to defend the buildings, which allows for the defending 4 people to attack some more.

I've heard that the intended mine limit for this game is 30, so 45 is too much. I feel though, that 45 is still not enough. Point is, defending and assaulting should be a team-effort not a single engineer/technician's effort.

I'm of the opinion that remote C4, timed C4 and mines should count differently. Minelimit as it should be 30, remote C4 perhaps a personal limit of 6, to prevent spamming and timed C4 a personal limit of 2 (see tech/hotwire carrying 2)

This means that the base can be defended by 30 mines PLUS the amount of engineers/technicians/hots *6 remotes.

In the 12v12 example that would lead to 30 mines + 4x6(=24) remote C4's. When tactically placed and active defending takes place, those remotes can be as deadly as mines.

You mean they didn't fix that!? I thought they would have fixed such a ridiculous mechanic by now. Mines are mines; Remote C4 are Remote C4. They, in no way, act anything like each other! I'll go ahead and edit the first post, but that is serious BS and I will campaign to change it! I understand maybe they don't want Remote C4 Spam, but that should be an entirely separate limit, probably per person (say 10 per person).

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Defense... in all matches I find, people mostly go on full offense when winning, or full defense on losing. The guys I find in base were usually the ones died in the field. Mines are good, but if you got no one or only one guy posted inside, it's almost likely that the base will fall

I find that as GDI, guarding your base in Field becomes less tedious if you have an APC posted on the back side of the base that is not covered by the AGT. Couple of Nod sneakers actually thought twice before exiting when they saw my APC right on their face, and instead of planting their nuke on the ref, or bar, they planted it inside the cave, which... either got disarmed or failed to hit the target

In Island, posting a Humvee (never tested Buggy) or APC on the tunnel entrance usually works well. They actually works like a machine gun turret ready to mow those people who gets past your mines

Mammoth and meds are actually not a good idea though, unless maybe you're forming a barricade against APC rush. I managed to shoot down a nuker inside a chinook with a mammy btw. And those heavy armor might need some explosives to chip down

I haven't found a viable tactics for Nod, but I think being a flame thrower works well to counter infantries in APC rush. We saved OB in Gold Rush and I soaked the entrance of the OB with flame