sniper reticle

Blackflare

Originally we had removed the reticle all together, for the PIC and Railgun. The thought was to make seemed "toned down" VS infantry while still being able to hit larger vehicles.

For the shotgun, it just spreads in the circle anyway, never really needed "center" point of reference.

Through feedback, at least something was added back. May look into this more as time goes on.

Originally we had removed the reticle all together, for the PIC and Railgun. The thought was to make seemed "toned down" VS infantry while still being able to hit larger vehicles.

For the shotgun, it just spreads in the circle anyway, never really needed "center" point of reference.

Through feedback, at least something was added back. May look into this more as time goes on.

They need something because people can just use third party programs to add a proper crosshair or even some monitors can add one for you.

Also... in the middle of the current crosshair it looks like someone erased the middle of it? Lol...

They need something because people can just use third party programs to add a proper crosshair or even some monitors can add one for you.

Also... in the middle of the current crosshair it looks like someone erased the middle of it? Lol...

^

You can clearly see a fucked up alpha from where they erased the center of it, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread since this was not addressed in BETA 2.

Another response would be: Why would you try to artificially limit the skill of other players through broken crosshairs. In a shooter game you at-least want to know where the shot is being fired at.

Crosshairs just need more support overall. Instead of having a default crosshair for every gun let us choose one of our own through a list. All I want is a + sign for every gun, that will make me happy.

I kinda like the way it is now, but it's redundant since the sniper is dead accurate anyway. Just put a dot in the middle of your screen and boom, problem solved.

IMO, if you're going to try and limit the ability to no-scope with the sniper, it needs to have a hip-fire spread that makes it almost impossible to hit any distant target without a scope. If you're not going to do that, then I'd suggest putting back the regular reticle.

I kinda like the way it is now, but it's redundant since the sniper is dead accurate anyway. Just put a dot in the middle of your screen and boom, problem solved.

IMO, if you're going to try and limit the ability to no-scope with the sniper, it needs to have a hip-fire spread that makes it almost impossible to hit any distant target without a scope. If you're not going to do that, then I'd suggest putting back the regular reticle.

Anyways that's a dumb idea. Artificially limiting the skill of players by having either a terrible crosshair (which is easily bypassed like you said, so why create a dumb gap between players) or random spread. This is an arcade shooter, random spread doesn't really belong in it. It should be VERY limited like shotguns, but still predictable.

Why do you keep posting this CRAP.

this big circle makes it even easier to no-scope, i cannot see your problem. just get the enemy inside and boink. what spread are you talking about? the only spread i see is when i auto fire full magazines. and since this is bad anyway, i keep shooting in bursts. maybe i played too much battlefield...;D

you want every weapon to be laser-accurate until their max range is reached in full auto?

Anyways that's a dumb idea. Artificially limiting the skill of players by having either a terrible crosshair (which is easily bypassed like you said, so why create a dumb gap between players) or random spread. This is an arcade shooter, random spread doesn't really belong in it. It should be VERY limited like shotguns, but still predictable.

The point of heavy spread in this circumstance would be to make no scoping useless. You zoom in or you don't use the sniper. Its annoying they are so godlike in pretty much any circumstances against infantry, if you can aim.

I know people would whine about it anyway, but if snipers were nerfed to only be good when using their scope (and if getting the scope up wasn't instantaneous) I'd be happy.

But I'd do anything in any game to nerf snipers to the ground.

this big circle makes it even easier to no-scope, i cannot see your problem. just get the enemy inside and boink. what spread are you talking about? the only spread i see is when i auto fire full magazines. and since this is bad anyway, i keep shooting in bursts. maybe i played too much battlefield...;D

you want every weapon to be laser-accurate until their max range is reached in full auto?

Yes. The guns aren't even hitscan so it's not a big deal. Accuracy is only achieved from players shooting predictable players at a range. Shouldn't the smarter players be rewarded? Even the best aimers in the world can't hit more than 20% accuracy on someone at a long distance with the auto rifle against a good dodger.

The point of heavy spread in this circumstance would be to make no scoping useless. You zoom in or you don't use the sniper. Its annoying they are so godlike in pretty much any circumstances against infantry, if you can aim.

I know people would whine about it anyway, but if snipers were nerfed to only be good when using their scope (and if getting the scope up wasn't instantaneous) I'd be happy.

But I'd do anything in any game to nerf snipers to the ground.

No scoping shouldn't be useless. Zooming in with the sniper is to get pin point accuracy at a distance. Every sniper uses zoom 90% of the time. Besides adding spread with single shot weapons would be TOTALLY against the old renegade, which was influenced by arcade shooters of its day. It would be just a spit in the face for the westwood devs who worked on C&C:renegade.

In terms of short range/close quarters combat against snipers this is more of a hitbox problem. At such a close distance the hitboxes for players are so large that dodging left and right doesn't alter your position enough so that you can dodge super effectively.

This post you have is a contradiction to many of your previous posts within this forum. I highly doubt you've ever played an old arcade FPS game, or were ever any good at one.

Against Renegade or not, it evens the playing field for other classes. If a sniper had to zoom to actually land a shot, they could be countered more easily by other infantry and therefore make other infantry more common... instead of each team full of engineers and snipers.

I'm not suggesting anything be done to the reticle. I'm merely pointing out that if the devs don't want no-scoping to be as prominent as it was in the original the only way to do that is with a hip-fire spread. But if they aren't going to do that, keeping the current reticle does nothing to discourage it... so they'd be better off returning it to normal.

No scoping shouldn't be useless. Zooming in with the sniper is to get pin point accuracy at a distance. Every sniper uses zoom 90% of the time. Besides adding spread with single shot weapons would be TOTALLY against the old renegade, which was influenced by arcade shooters of its day. It would be just a spit in the face for the westwood devs who worked on C&C:renegade.

In terms of short range/close quarters combat against snipers this is more of a hitbox problem. At such a close distance the hitboxes for players are so large that dodging left and right doesn't alter your position enough so that you can dodge super effectively.

This post you have is a contradiction to many of your previous posts within this forum. I highly doubt you've ever played an old arcade FPS game, or were ever any good at one.

I grew up with Unreal and UT, as well as C&C Renegade.

And these games aren't unlike any other, they all fueled my anger toward the cheapness of snipers and long range hitscan weapons. I know some people of that time love instagib for instance, I always absolutely hated it.

This isn't just about the arcade nature of the game which I whole heartedly love and support. Its about the fact that snipers are universally overpowered in every game, I feel. Renegade gives them limitless potential and they make too many fights dumb and short.

Games like Renegade shouldn't have people dying in one shot so easily, but when snipers are around you get that all the time. To me, thats what I hate the most about any shooter I've ever played.

• 2 weeks later...