Beacon Weather

Sylvanio

Just played the open beta, and I was blown away. Really nice job so far!

But as a fan of the original, I had noticed that the weather effects from placing/using beacons was not present. I saw in the FAQ that weather was a possibility, but are their any plans to return the trigger weather from the superweapons?

If I recall correctly, using a nuke cause the sky to turn red, and an Ion cannon called in a thunderstorm, both temporary, of course.

This is not just a cosmetical issue, imho, its actually game affecting as well. Since the new announcers are fairly quiet, you often notice that a beacon has been placed when it is already too late. Adding weather change would let you have a secondary means of seeing that a beacon has been planted.

This is one thing that needs to come back in one way or another. Because if I miss the beginning announcement, I have absolutely no idea whether or not the EVA countdown is for an Ion or a Nuke. There just isn't any way to know unless you ask in chat.

Having the sky change depending on which beacon was planted is a good indicator of what was planted.

Having the sky change depending on which beacon was planted is a good indicator of what was planted.

Maybe not, unless a purple sky happens if both teams have a beacon planted.

On second thought, I approve; that would be trippy sweet.

It begs the question though; why does a beacon impact the weather?

The Earth is a sensitive being who doesn't like it when satellites and missile silos throw all manners of explosives onto it. Let it be, don't be so judgmental.

It begs the question though; why does a beacon impact the weather?

The ion cannon satellite charging up perhaps creates radiation that causes thunderstorms and rain.

Not sure about the nuke.

It...sends out particles to destroy the ozone layer so that even if the beacon is disarmed, then it can at least give all the enemy cancer in 10 years.