How do I start a server, Please provide information

Alkaline

Hi,

Currently I have about 15 Power Edge 720 (dual x5650 3.3 ghz quad core xeons 64gb ram) and i would like to start some servers for renegade X, but I haven't been able to find any documentation.

I used to run the =[uN]= New Maps servers about 5 years ago, it got pretty big at one point.

Would like to run a couple of 32 player servers. Any help would be great.

Long time no see Alk. I look forward to checking out your servers. Lots of good memories from those days.

yes can't wait :) just need some more details to get some servers going, I played on the 64... way to crazy 32 would be great, may be 36 but anything more just is too crazy IMHO.

Long time no see Alk. I look forward to checking out your servers. Lots of good memories from those days.

yes can't wait :) just need some more details to get some servers going, I played on the 64... way to crazy 32 would be great, may be 36 but anything more just is too crazy IMHO.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I wouldn't even mind seeing some 24 player servers. Some of the best games were those with small amounts of people. The game gets much more tactical with less players.

I'd like to host a server too but I'm a big noob in server hosting and the other thread doesn't answer my questions. I hosted some servers for 2D games on VPS Linux servers, but that was years ago.

My question is very basic: can I host a server using a VPS? What's the minimum config for a 16v16 server?

I found a VPS offer for $50: 3-core, 3Gb RAM and 4500GB transfer per month, would that be enough? Can I find cheaper elsewhere?