No widescreen resolution?

chaosrock

I just installed the game and went to game settings to change my resolution. My monitor is 2560x1440 and the highest resolution option was 1920x1440. If I choose that option, I get really annoying black spaces on either side of the screen and it feels cramped. I saw no option for "widescreen" mode. Only "fullscreen" or "windowed".

Am I missing something obvious?

Edit:

I figured it out!

I went into \UDK\Renegade X Black Dawn\UDKGame\ConfigUDKmenu.ini and added this line:

Resolutions=2560x1440

Below all of the other resolutions, then saved it and ran the game. Found the resolution option in the menu, selected it, and voila! It is running in native res! Awesome!

Edited by Guest

Damn, how big is your monitor?

The Unreal engine usually has a settings INI that you can manually change resolution and graphical settings from. Im not sure if it has a different name than "settings.ini" for Black Dawn, and Im too lazy to install it to verify.

You downloaded Black Dawn, which is not the same as Renegade X multiplayer (will be released Feb. 26)

I don't know if it will support native 2560x1440, but you should choose 1920x1080 to keep the same aspect ratio and get rid of the black bars. And you should choose Fullscreen too.

The Unreal engine usually has a settings INI that you can manually change resolution and graphical settings from. Im not sure if it has a different name than "settings.ini" for Black Dawn, and Im too lazy to install it to verify.

For Black Dawn maybe, but not for Renegade-X. It was mentioned in several posts about changing skins and values that it would essentially become another version, and thus rejected from servers with the real version. My knowledge is limited in this, but I highly suggest you just play with the highest resolution that is supported by the game and possibly by tweaking your graphics card as suggested, but not tweak it in the files.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll wait for the game to come out and see if they support native resolutions at that point. It's really unplayable at anything below native resolution. It either has the huge wasted space on either side or at low resolutions like 1920x1080 it's stretched and blurry.

I would be interestes in an official answer as well since I'm on 2560*1440 too. I don't have a problem with playing on 1080p, I sometimes prefer the extra fps over the image quality. While it definitely makes the image a little blurred by interpolation, it certainly doesn't stretch it as long as you stick with 16:9 aspect ratios.

I figured it out!

I went into \UDK\Renegade X Black Dawn\UDKGame\ConfigUDKmenu.ini and added this line:

Resolutions=2560x1440

Below all of the other resolutions, then saved it and ran the game. Found the resolution option in the menu, selected it, and voila! It is running in native res! Awesome!

For Black Dawn maybe, but not for Renegade-X. It was mentioned in several posts about changing skins and values that it would essentially become another version, and thus rejected from servers with the real version. My knowledge is limited in this, but I highly suggest you just play with the highest resolution that is supported by the game and possibly by tweaking your graphics card as suggested, but not tweak it in the files.

Yeah, Im sure they will have it locked down a bit. They cant change the engine, though, and INI files are just a part of the engine. Now, they might bring out some sort of checksum that will verify that none of the files have been manually modified...

Would changing the resolution give you a bigger field of view?

Either way, I don't think most games consider this an unfair advantage and I'm certain changing resolutions wouldn't cause a client-server disconnect like changing skins would do.

Would changing the resolution give you a bigger field of view?

Either way, I don't think most games consider this an unfair advantage and I'm certain changing resolutions wouldn't cause a client-server disconnect like changing skins would do.

On a newer engine like Unreal? No, it shouldnt change FoV. Older engines dont know how to process the extra pixels per inch, so they just show you more of the screen to fill all the pixels you tell it to; Unreal was built to be a bit more versatile.

Although, I believe the aformentioned Unreal INI has another setting in it for FoV that you can manually change.