All your history are belong to us: Command and Conquer (Part 1) Westwood Studios

Jam

(via Machinima.com)

Command & Conquer was one of the earliest entries into the Real-Time Strategy genre, and has defined it for 15 years afterwards. In this first episode of our retrospective, watch and see how a Las Vegas developer named Westwood Studios invented the modern RTS with Dune II, before perfecting their formula with Command & Conquer.

[video=youtube;mDjdkpV3Cyw]

[video=youtube;63RlFXpPG_4]

Generals did what they should have done long ago: change the concepts. It was shot down for exactly that reason. Even though it DOES have radically different units and still a good balance.

CNC3 was good, not incredible, not super, storylinewise they did something good. The Scrin did indeed have references to them, by another race similar to the scrin during tiberium sun. You even dig up and find the tacitus in a ship that resembles the scrin, but is of this scrin-opposing alien force.

Red alert was indeed known for it's incredibly wacked storyline, and this allowed them to use surreal units as if they were actually real, this enhanced the game a lot. But red alert 3 didn't just have a wacked storyline, it had wacked units too. A bit too wacked for my taste. And the recource system sucked and the places to place a base are too stuck to the mines, you can't build a usefull fantom base anywhere.

Kane's wrath was too short, while it did offer a good unit pack. Some bits were just weird or didn't seem to fit entirely. (Alexaaaaaaaaah)

Tiberium was well under way was what they said. I don't know, but I followed those forums from almost day one. And I saw a lot of concepts that they hadn't explained and were still figuring out (the actual spokesman of the game on the forum said to me after I asked that they had worked out the entire system of the weapon you had, except how and where you got ammo! Also, ways to make your squad not just so much cannon fodder that you sacrefice once you need different units wasn't worked out either)

CNC4, which they will hopefully shoot down in the next one, was released too quickly, and I think most of the people on the streets ccould have done better on the storyline... No scrin, no adversaries of the scrin, no explanation as to how Kane actually came there (I would have figured a human transformed convict of either Scrin or their adversaries as Kane lives so long and had knowledge of tiberium even before it came to earth), he ascends, but no explanation as to what that means to him is given (is he finally free from the planet, what is he capable off and where will he arrive?). And one of the best things from CNC3: the squads. The infantry squads were one of the few innovative things they added, and they dumped it away. The overall look of the units is more a mix between the wacky Red alert (and I first thought the avatar with 4 cannons was a bad fan-made hickup) and the graphix of CNC3.

They DID do a good job at trying to innovate the gameplay. And failed miserably. The overall idea of it was incredible, when I first read it I thought they had hit the jackpot, but they just missed too many oppertunities with it.

Text wall!

Yours sincerely,

Demigan