What does it take to get a team togeather and make a mod?

epicelite

• Totem Arts Staff

Well it was originally an idea that was floating around for a couple years. Ever since Renegade 2 was cancelled, I knew that it was up to the community to make our own "Ren2", and that started with the various W3D mods.

Renegade X as a concept was something I, Titan, and some others who started the mod with us, thought of at the end of 2005 - to make a Renegade remake with some new features on the upcoming (at the time) Unreal Tournament 2007. So the name Renegade 2007, which was the concept name, stuck to the mod until 2008 (since UT2007 was renamed to UT3). In December of 2005 we pretty much contacted everyone we knew in the modding world. I was in C&C Reborn at the time, so I was fairly acquainted with the W3D modding community. We projected a list of about 15 people before actually going forth with the project.

The first 9 months or so of Renegade X were done in secret. We opened up our first internal forums in late March 2006. We didn't post about it, because it was too early, the art was premature, we didn't have a full team, and it was too early to announce a huge project like that. We wanted to be sure that we can actually do it before promising people that we will. So in 2006 we built what would become the Renegade 2007 team, by secretly contacting modders, posting on 3d art forums, sending out emails, meeting with people, etc. And we began working on all the art we need. By the time 2007 hit, we had at least one person in every position before we actually announced the mod.

I believe we announced on January 28 2007. We already had the APC, Humvee, and some art that would later be remade (PIC, laser rifle, a Havoc WIP,), a domain and public forum, some wallpapers. We had a working team, design doc, and knew what we were gonna do with this mod. We made more art and built a bigger team in 2007, until UT3 came out in November and we learned the editor. And from there everything blossomed. We made our first release on Sept 30 2009.

So modding is a lot of hard work. As a founder, I was always skeptical, always trying to find new members, and always trying to motivate people to work. You can't announce a project out of no where - the best idea is to learn a skill, join a project, learn the full workings of a mod project and what's necessary to get what work done. Get connections within the modding community, until you find some people who have a common idea. People can disappear at any time, and sometimes be hard to work with - I've had to deal with both - so always constantly look for new talent. And finally, be very realistic. 90% of mods never see the light of day, and most of the ones that do never get a constant playerbase - so don't try to reach any impossible goals and exaggerate with wild ideas; keep things simple, get organized early, find people to work in all positions, and publicly announce only once you know that the mod will get done.

• Like 1

Nice story bro.

Lol no really, it's very nice to see how it all began seeing it from (one of) the 'founder's' eyes

I'm actually suprised how this mod has come this far already, most of the mods are half-done and the makers lose interest in the project. For just that, good job on not giving up ;)

Renegade X ftw

Indeed. Very interesting!

Most C&C mods, atleast the FPS ones, they get stuck in dev for literarly ages. This one is the one actualy making noticable progress!

May I ask, what kind of positions do you need for an Unreal Engine project then? It seems to be different depenind on what engine you work with.

Yes they are.

Go google and check it out. How dare you ask this. >.( or think they are dead.

Imperial Kaskins <<< C&C Reborn die hard fan

Imperial Kaskins <<< C&C Reborn modeler

Reborn just waiting for script 4.0.0

Even Renegade. ( The father of C&C Renegade in FPS ) is still alive and the mods are going on.

I am now supporting C&C Assault mode. Can build and command Bots as same as Renegade 2 / Tiberium

Well.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cc-assault

• 4 weeks later...
Fobby[GEN]]Well it was originally an idea that was floating around for a couple years. Ever since Renegade 2 was cancelled, I knew that it was up to the community to make our own "Ren2", and that started with the various W3D mods.

Renegade X as a concept was something I, Titan, and some others who started the mod with us, thought of at the end of 2005 - to make a Renegade remake with some new features on the upcoming (at the time) Unreal Tournament 2007. So the name Renegade 2007, which was the concept name, stuck to the mod until 2008 (since UT2007 was renamed to UT3). In December of 2005 we pretty much contacted everyone we knew in the modding world. I was in C&C Reborn at the time, so I was fairly acquainted with the W3D modding community. We projected a list of about 15 people before actually going forth with the project.

The first 9 months or so of Renegade X were done in secret. We opened up our first internal forums in late March 2006. We didn't post about it, because it was too early, the art was premature, we didn't have a full team, and it was too early to announce a huge project like that. We wanted to be sure that we can actually do it before promising people that we will. So in 2006 we built what would become the Renegade 2007 team, by secretly contacting modders, posting on 3d art forums, sending out emails, meeting with people, etc. And we began working on all the art we need. By the time 2007 hit, we had at least one person in every position before we actually announced the mod.

I believe we announced on January 28 2007. We already had the APC, Humvee, and some art that would later be remade (PIC, laser rifle, a Havoc WIP,), a domain and public forum, some wallpapers. We had a working team, design doc, and knew what we were gonna do with this mod. We made more art and built a bigger team in 2007, until UT3 came out in November and we learned the editor. And from there everything blossomed. We made our first release on Sept 30 2009.

So modding is a lot of hard work. As a founder, I was always skeptical, always trying to find new members, and always trying to motivate people to work. You can't announce a project out of no where - the best idea is to learn a skill, join a project, learn the full workings of a mod project and what's necessary to get what work done. Get connections within the modding community, until you find some people who have a common idea. People can disappear at any time, and sometimes be hard to work with - I've had to deal with both - so always constantly look for new talent. And finally, be very realistic. 90% of mods never see the light of day, and most of the ones that do never get a constant playerbase - so don't try to reach any impossible goals and exaggerate with wild ideas; keep things simple, get organized early, find people to work in all positions, and publicly announce only once you know that the mod will get done.

You know what you talk, it's obvious. Well said!