Question

Generalcamo

Where there are many factors you have to consider first before you consider language and gore as deterrents for the game.

1. Firstly: Unreal Tournament 3.

If you wish to play Renegade X right now (which is a free mod for UT3) then you have to have a legal version of UT3 installed. Unreal Tournament 3 is rated M. It does have some language. It does also have a lot of gore BUT it can be disabled in the game's options. However, this is considering that you are going to actually be playing Unreal Tournament 3. While Renegade X does require UT3 installed, you aren't necessarily playing UT3. So the bad language in UT3 is not transferred over into Renegade X... in fact no language is... other than radio commands. (There is no dialogue)

So if you buy UT3 to play Renegade X now, you just have to worry about bad language. That is only, however, if you plan on playing UT3 in addition to playing Renegade X. If you plan to buy UT3 only to play Renegade X (like me and a whole bunch of other people), then you don't have to worry about language or gore (gore can be disabled).

Renegade X does not have bad language and the gore can be turned off in the options.

2. Secondly: Renegade X Standalone.

If you are willing to wait a couple months to play Renegade X, then you don't have to buy Unreal Tournament 3. In a few months Renegade X will be released stand alone, for free. You will no longer need Unreal Tournament to play it.

Pretty soon the team will release Renegade X: Black Dawn, which is like a demo single player mission for the next version of the game. It will most likely have dialogue built into it. I cannot speak for them in saying it does or doesn't feature bad language however I can tell you that if it uses the same options as UT3, the gore can be disabled in the options.

BOTTOM LINE:

Unreal Tournament 3 has bad language and gore but the gore can be turned off.

Renegade X does not have bad language but it has gore that can be turned off as well.

If you want Renegade X now, then you need to buy and install UT3. But if you don't mind waiting a few months, then you will be able to just download Renegade X by itself. However, keep in mind, if you choose to buy UT3 and play Renegade X now, even though it has bad language in it, you don't have to play UT3 and hear the bad language in order to play Renegade X.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jun 8 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where there are many factors you have to consider first before you consider language and gore as deterrents for the game.

1. Firstly: Unreal Tournament 3.

If you wish to play Renegade X right now (which is a free mod for UT3) then you have to have a legal version of UT3 installed. Unreal Tournament 3 is rated M. It does have some language. It does also have a lot of gore BUT it can be disabled in the game's options. However, this is considering that you are going to actually be playing Unreal Tournament 3. While Renegade X does require UT3 installed, you aren't necessarily playing UT3. So the bad language in UT3 is not transferred over into Renegade X... in fact no language is... other than radio commands. (There is no dialogue)

So if you buy UT3 to play Renegade X now, you just have to worry about bad language. That is only, however, if you plan on playing UT3 in addition to playing Renegade X. If you plan to buy UT3 only to play Renegade X (like me and a whole bunch of other people), then you don't have to worry about language or gore (gore can be disabled).

Renegade X does not have bad language and the gore can be turned off in the options.

2. Secondly: Renegade X Standalone.

If you are willing to wait a couple months to play Renegade X, then you don't have to buy Unreal Tournament 3. In a few months Renegade X will be released stand alone, for free. You will no longer need Unreal Tournament to play it.

Pretty soon the team will release Renegade X: Black Dawn, which is like a demo single player mission for the next version of the game. It will most likely have dialogue built into it. I cannot speak for them in saying it does or doesn't feature bad language however I can tell you that if it uses the same options as UT3, the gore can be disabled in the options.

BOTTOM LINE:
Unreal Tournament 3 has bad language and gore but the gore can be turned off.
Renegade X does not have bad language but it has gore that can be turned off as well.

If you want Renegade X now, then you need to buy and install UT3. But if you don't mind waiting a few months, then you will be able to just download Renegade X by itself. However, keep in mind, if you choose to buy UT3 and play Renegade X now, even though it has bad language in it, you don't have to play UT3 and hear the bad language in order to play Renegade X.[/b]

That clears everything up. I'm watching this mod now. I see no use for this thread anymore.

There is no blood in the game, just some red pixels flying around, tell that to your mother :P .

Its on you how you call the red pixels, i call it ketjup.... could explain why gaming makes me hungry.

QUOTE (cirex @ Jun 10 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no blood in the game, just some red pixels flying around, tell that to your mother :P .
Its on you how you call the red pixels, i call it ketjup.... could explain why gaming makes me hungry.[/b]

Hahahaha, I played yesterday, The Obelisk turned me into a fine mist of red, with bloody body parts flying everywhere.

Parents have a right to chose their child's games and many parents concerns are genuine. Your parents are free to ask any of the team questions and we will address any concerns they may have.

Currently, gore and language can be turned off and we'll do our best to make our game as playable for as many as we can without compramising our vision. The same can be done with UT3 (which is required to play the current build of the mod). UT3 has an M rating in the US, an 18 certificate in the UK and and 18 for the PEGI rating system for European areas.

We're responsible developers; I myself develop games for a living and have a first class honours degree in Computer Games Design. All parents are welcome to send us queries and comments :) .

We will shortly be releasing a standalone (that means you wont need UT3 to run it), single-player version of Renegade-X, called Operation Black Dawn. This is an independent title being distributed digitally and so is unlikely to have gone through an official ratings system. We will make sure, however, that the content of the game is made clear before users download it.

Finally, I suggest that if your parents are happy to, download Renegade-X and let them play it and come to their own conclusions. They'll become more familiar with what you're playing and they'll learn more about our game and what they're happy with you playing.

Thanks! :)

QUOTE (maty @ Jun 15 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Parents have a right to chose their child's games and many parents concerns are genuine. Your parents are free to ask any of the team questions and we will address any concerns they may have.[/b]

Wrong, there is no reason why parents should be concerned about violent video games. Every research conducted so far about video games making people violent were inconclusive, and only showed that people who are violent to begin with prefered the more gruesome video games.

What's more interesting, is that unrelated research about brain-train programs concluded that the brain-train programs didn't do anything to enhance the intellect. They did find, however, that every first person shooter gamer found among their test subjects DID improve. The reason behind this was because the brain continuously has to switch at rapid succesion between what it is doing and what it wants to do next. Effectively making the brains create more synaps connections and with that improving brain function for thinking out problems (not specific things like math or language will improve, just the way the brain handles information will be dealt with quicker).

The only thing his parents have to worry about is that any already present violent tendency's don't pop out, but they should have seen signs of that already. So otherwise, if he keeps doing just as much homework as he did before he got the game, then he should even improve at school. Just make sure he balances his social life too :)

If you want, I can find the scientific articles for your parents to read.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

I agree with the above.

Shooters, yes even the gruesome ones, thought me a lot of things. Besides the fact that they enhanced my ability to react and the speed with which I react it also thought me to look ahead.

In other words, games thought me that actions have concequenses. Sometimes these can be good and sometimes these actions would basically kill me in the game.

Of course I could go on and on, but the principal is this: Gaming can bring you a lot of fun and friends aswell as teach you things as long as you keep the very thin line between reality and fiction intact. Your parents worry about this, which in fact is very natural and understandable, but if you keep it at bay and turn the gore off I'm sure everything will turn out just fine :)

QUOTE (Jointn00b @ Jun 16 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the above.

Shooters, yes even the gruesome ones, thought me a lot of things. Besides the fact that they enhanced my ability to react and the speed with which I react it also thought me to look ahead.
In other words, games thought me that actions have concequenses. Sometimes these can be good and sometimes these actions would basically kill me in the game.
Of course I could go on and on, but the principal is this: Gaming can bring you a lot of fun and friends aswell as teach you things as long as you keep the very thin line between reality and fiction intact. Your parents worry about this, which in fact is very natural and understandable, but if you keep it at bay and turn the gore off I'm sure everything will turn out just fine :) [/b]

I know I'm maybe starting a tedious debate, but as a studying psychologist I just have to react on Demigan and Jointn00b.

To start. People do get more violent from computer games. Their thoughts (and thus their actions) become more agressive. It isn't really noticeable in most cases though. The cases which you do notice it, is like Demigan stated. People who actually become more violent from video games, already have more aggressive tendency's. Fact remains that you get more violent just after the game, and a very, very slightly bit overall in your life.

Yes. Shooters do improve the way information is processed. You have to be able to sort the incredible amount of new information into your old information and make the right decisions to be successful. It is indeed proven atm that these people gain advantages in real life too.
On a side note, hand-eye coordination improves too, weird as it sounds. Surgeons benefit from this, as medical appliances are now more and more computer controlled.

To the matter where its all about. Parents have the authority in a great extend to decide what is best for their child if the child is under-age. Besides, the game is rated M because of the possibility of gore, bad language and violence. So it is even illegal to play it when under-aged. And so it is with Renegade-X. Sorry.

Thats all =)
Ban4life

QUOTE (AlonTavor @ Jun 17 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides....... Did you ever play the original Renegade? I doubt everyone here used to play it.[/b]

I played it, and if you are looking for improvement of your brains, then Renegade is probably the best game out there. While it has a bit of a slower pace in changes then other games, when the changes do occur they are fast and sudden. Other shooters are simply shooting people up, getting the highest kill-count. There are simply very few actions you can switch to: moving and searching, shooting someone, choosing which weapon is best in the current situation.

Renegade is bigger then that, you have to pick a goal, based on what your enemy has and what your teammates have as goals and equipment. You have to plan ahead, pretty far ahead in fact. And alter your plan again and again after each engagement you had. Where other shooters simply have the plan of shoot, move, shoot, try to get that juicy big gun, shoot...

The advantage of Renegade-x is that with the recreation of unreal gameplay (you can survive 10 bullets to the chest or a tank shell closeby etc) they enforce the line between reality and the unreality of games. making it near impossible to think that violence as propageted in the game is the same as in real life.

As for Ban4life's reaction. I'll have to prove you wrong now, I'll try to find those artikles.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Ban4life, I have been playing violent games since I was 7. the only thing it has changed is that I talk about my achievements in the game. yes, some people take it to far and do stupid things but violent games are not the real problem.

the great one

QUOTE (Qbert @ Jun 17 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ban4life, I have been playing violent games since I was 7. the only thing it has changed is that I talk about my achievements in the game. yes, some people take it to far and do stupid things but violent games are not the real problem.

the great one[/b]

He didn't say it was an incredible change from a cute boy to a violent maniak. Just that you got a tiny bit more violent that you would have been. Still, I don't agree with him. But I first have to prove to myself I was right before I burn him down :)

QUOTE (Demigan @ Jun 16 2010, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wrong, there is no reason why parents should be concerned about violent video games.[/b]

That is not what I meant.

What I mean is that every parent has genuine concerns. Concerns they feel are genuine concerns.

:)

Whats difficult with the research is that people my age (~22) have been playing games seince we were tiny, me, I was 6. Thing is, this was back on the Megadrive, SNES and alike. Games then, for all intents and purposes were not graphic nor violent. Violent games didnt come in until I was mid-teens. Its games that have been released in the last 10 years that have been violent.

So, I raise you this point, if graphic, realistic and violent games have not been out long enough for a child gamer to now be an adult to have played only those games, how can we gauge any effect?

------

Its all achedemic, of course. In my opinion, provided developers can develop what they want and parents are free to choose what they think best for the kids - there is nothing wrong with that equation. Parents should be educated into what games contain and then they should make the choices based on that.

Just about any developer and parent will agree thats fair. All these arguments are irrelevant.

QUOTE (maty @ Jun 18 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not what I meant.

What I mean is that every parent has genuine concerns. Concerns they feel are genuine concerns.

:) [/b]

Ah, ok, true that.

But I do think parents in Amerika take things a bit too far. We have a newspaper here that has a column of a journalist that migrated to the America's. And when she let's her 3 year old son play outside naked, she get's concerned parents because their own 2-4 year old children 'might get the wrong idea'. A child of 6 isn't even busy with sex!
Oh well

All parents are protective, and there's a line which is too much and too little.

I'm a strong believer in parents being able to make the choices best for their children and their right to choice. But for them to make the right choice, it has to be clear to parents what games contain, which is where the PEGI system in Europe excels at.

I also think adults can make their own choices for their own entertainment consumption. Australia's policy of anything that would be adult-rated in the UK or US you cannot even sell there. That's pretty draconian.

Off-Topic now? :P

• Totem Arts Staff

Honestly I think it depends on the parents. Some parents that are foreign immigrants (like mine), coming from poorer countries, are completely unfamiliar with the concept of computers and video gaming. Especially if they're from an older generation. My parents can't use a computer, and therefore don't grasp gaming. So they kinda see the entire thing as a big waste of time, in some ways evil (lol). In that case, I wouldn't exactly trust them to know what's good for me in the electronic world, as they think that if and when I'm on the computer, I'm automatically playing or wasting time, when in fact I rarely play games (been a few weeks now).

I also don't think violent games have much of an affect on people's attitudes. Maybe when your a kid, you'll hit someone to be like your favourite game character, or you'll dream about being in the army, but if anything, post-puberty gamers are probably THE least violent people in the world. Need proof? Look at your local WoW player, who's raiding for hours a day, and not exactly on the streets shooting people.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Jun 19 2010, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also don't think violent games have much of an affect on people's attitudes. Maybe when your a kid, you'll hit someone to be like your favourite game character, or you'll dream about being in the army,[/b]

Nah, when I was a kid (and still am in many ways :P) I had strict rules about computer use from my parents. But when we played outside we always played our own games, in which we were invisioning violent things (playing to be soldiers and that kind of thing). But where don't children do that? The difference is the line between reality and game again. However, a computer will drag you a lot less towards actually hitting someone, as we did have fights occasionally when things got out of hand because someone cheated or thought that hitting with sticks near the hands of your opponent was allowed.
That way, Computers actually act as a deterrent to violence. You don't take the actual actions. However, should I walk into a martial arts club, even a defencive one, you can bet your life on it that they are more violent. I know for certain, as I do the most peacefull martial arts in existence (Aikido) and we still got that one guy that doesn't think the rules apply to him and he thinks he can teach you by beating the crap out of you.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

True, it is a child's natural tendency to be violent. my little brother was 2 and he just got up and bit me on day. there were no outside influences such as TV or games to fuel that. although as they grow up the game industry is taking that tendency and giving it something to chew on.