how do I avoid getting foxed?

I want to make my own CnC mod for supreme commander, but how do I avoid getting shot down by EA? My current plan is to release the open betas with all IPs removed and lots of placeholders until the gameplay has been fine-tuned, but is there a better way? What do you plan to do if you recieve a cease and desist from EA?

Best way to go about it is just to email them, and ask them straight up. That's what we did, and it can save you a lot of work if they decide to say no, better now then after you've put work into it.

BTW: why not wait a couple weeks and make a mod for Supreme Commander 2?

Supreme Commander 2 comes via Steam and as far is I know the modifiability is limited. It has not even a map editor. At least not the inital release but they have plans to add it maybe, maybe(!) later in one of the patches.

A C&C mod for SupCom would be awesome ^^

QUOTE (DeathLink6.0 @ Mar 2 2010, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Supreme Commander 2 comes via Steam and as far is I know the modifiability is limited. It has not even a map editor. At least not the inital release but they have plans to add it maybe, maybe(!) later in one of the patches.

A C&C mod for SupCom would be awesome ^^[/b]

I don't plan on starting right now. A couple of weeks back I said I wanted to mod renegade x but I haven't started on that either. I'm not good at wording emials though so how did you write yours?

As for supreme commander 2, I actually do want to use that as the base because it seems to allow more intricate maps than SC!, but we'll have to see how easily it can be modded. By the time I'm ready to start the project the tools will probably have been released

QUOTE (PermaGrin @ Mar 3 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just make it until they say something. Mainly, if you are not making money off of their IP, then most likely they wont even notice you.[/b]

The trouble is, they might worry about losing sales of tiberian twilight (Which appears to have jumped the shark) to SC2 if I make a CnC mod for that game. Of course, this mod, if made at all, will probably reach beta several years after the release of tiberian twilight.

The main reason I'm expecting that the modding tools will eventually be released for SC2 is that Gas Powered took their sweet time releasing the map editor for SC1.

Ha. After being in the beta for TT, they have ALOT more to worry about in losing sales than a mod.

Emailing them is the safest thing to do. If they say yes, then you can start. If they say no, then you know you will get shut down if they find out.

Personally, just do it. If they shut you down, you get practice and can make a new one. If they dont say anything, then you can continue on.

QUOTE (PermaGrin @ Mar 3 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha. After being in the beta for TT, they have ALOT more to worry about in losing sales than a mod.

Emailing them is the safest thing to do. If they say yes, then you can start. If they say no, then you know you will get shut down if they find out.

Personally, just do it. If they shut you down, you get practice and can make a new one. If they dont say anything, then you can continue on.[/b]

I'ts probably going to be a at least a year before I'm ready to assemble a team. Hopefully TT's sale cycle will have died down then. Aside from the cartoony art style and attempts to rip of gameplay mechanics from supreme commander, what are the main problems with the beta?

Just clone it if you want - create C&C like game, units, buildings - just call it something else like: "Violence & Victory" :D , "International Stability Alliance" versus "The Coca Cola Cult" :P