Harvester AI

Globlanet

• Totem Arts Staff

Right now the Harvesters have straight paths to the Tib field and back to the refinery. Its extra heavy and able to push things out of the way to prevent them from being pushed into rivers and such by enemies. What you have there in your picture is pretty much a goldmine, because it usually takes very little effort to simply drive away from the harvester's path.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Feb 12 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now the Harvesters have straight paths to the Tib field and back to the refinery. Its extra heavy and able to push things out of the way to prevent them from being pushed into rivers and such by enemies. What you have there in your picture is pretty much a goldmine, because it usually takes very little effort to simply drive away from the harvester's path.[/b]

here is a idea
Make the harvester no-collide with friendly vehicle's operated by a teammate.like in CnC TD, TS....

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 12 2010, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats actually not a bad idea...

However, it would look quite awful.[/b]

did it look awfull back in Tiberian dawn,Tiberian sun or tiberuim wars?......actually it did

but the point is. this would be the most easiest fix other than make the harvester pathfind its way. thats utterly hard and time consuming to both mappers and coders.

Actually its very easy to set up an actor using path finding in UE3, but its not needed, since a harvester is an automated system and in the time of Renegade the technology was/is not that far to get a pathfinding all round talented harv, this would also break some aspects of the game I think.

We won't disable collision, this is not a suitable solution, it will break gameplay.

In all cases you would disable a lot of tactical abilities like block enemy harvester, harverster walk, placing beacon near ref.-dock before inc. of the harv. a.s.o...

so keep is as simple as it was in the original game! :-)

PS: My german mates can't await the final release to resurrect the german Renegade community :-D

GREAT WORK!!! Keep goin...

• 3 weeks later...

The harvester has a pathfinding AI. Leveldesigners already can make multiple paths and the harvester potentially could then try to find the best path and paths arround vehicles ...however it is programmed so that it doesent see vehicles as obstacles. If it is on the shortest path it is programmed to ramm vehicles out of the way instead of trying to find a way arround them. This is done on purpose because i strongly believe that otherwise enemies, or even guys from your team who want to harm your team to get revenge or cause they just want to be annoying, would come up with multiple ideas to block the harv and to distract it. But making the harv horn before/when colliding sounds like a good idea i think.

QUOTE (Globalnet @ Feb 12 2010, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here is a idea
Make the harvester no-collide with friendly vehicle's operated by a teammate.like in CnC TD, TS....[/b]

I dont ever remember the harvester to pass through vehicles, it did pass through vehicles PARTLY but never directly ontop of them :/ Besides, add that in a FPS game and it would look completley stupid

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (PermaGrin @ Mar 2 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that this problem has nothing to do with AI. Believe simply adjusting weight/mass of objects should change this outcome.[/b]

I don't think so. Making it lighter will just make it flimsy, but it will still crash into people. The difference is, people would be able to push it away, which creates bigger problems. It was like that in 0.35

The horn sounds like a good idea, but the only problem I have with it is that when your in a stealth tank its not really stealth when the harvester sounds a horn when you get to close. Maybe if the horn was client side only, like the horn only sounds on the persons game and no one else s or if it excluded stealth tanks.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Mar 2 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would that be a problem? If an enemy is close enough to hear the harvester honking at your stank, then they could either:
1. Think that the harvester is honking at them.
2. Be able to see the stealth tank to begin with.[/b]

I guess if its that quiet, its just when I think "horn" I think loud, if its quiet I guess it doesn't really matter.

Why not have it show up on the HUD?

You know like how grenades show up on the HUD on some games as a little icon or arrow that rotates around the crosshair to show where the grenade has landed, or kind of like how the red circle comes on showing what direction you're taking damage from.

Would this not work for he harvester? A little rotating icon around the crosshair depending what direction the harvester is coming from and it could even have a distance scale on it in meters. So the icon could appear on the HUD when the harvester is within 10 meters of you and rotate around the crosshair as you move around and then the icon disapears when you exceed 10 meters from the harvester or look at it.

Or it could simply be a warning message on the HUD saying "WARNING Harvester in close proximity" and the distance in meters next to it.

If you want it to fit into some sort of realism, the second idea could be passed off as an automated short range signal the harvester transmits on its onboard computer when it senses nearby vehicles.

I think these ideas would work because they don't hurt the gameplay and they could be based on a friendly only basis so Nod players don't get the warnings from GDI harvesters and the like.

Or, you could have the harvester ram through enemies, but stop for allies, however if its stopped for a certain amount of time, it should turn into a cannibal and eat the offender. :lol: An Om Nom Nom sound might be a good addition also.